40 weight in a Chevy Cruze 1.4T

Status
Not open for further replies.

pbm

I see from UOA's that this turbo motor can be tough on oil. What do you gents think about using Mobil 1 0w40 in this 1.4T (after warranty of course)? Do you think the slightly heavier viscosity would be helpful with the turbo?

With the current AA sale I'm debating Mobil 1 EP 5w30 or regular Mobil 1 0w40.
I'm thinking that this (Opel designed) engine would probably call for 40 wt. in Europe but that GM spec's 5w30 dexos 1 for the sake of uniformity.

Mobil Oz won't offer oil for it, stating Dexos, 0W-30, 5W-30.

I think in global GM, Dexos wins.

Are you sure they spec it for uniformity rather than the engine was designed that way for uniformity.

Seems more likely that the car was designed to meet a common spec. If this is the same engine fitted to several Opel and Vauxhall in Europe for several years the I suspect that it has been.

You do realise that 5w30 is an extremely common oil spec in Europe?

And has been getting more common over the last 15 years.

Pennzoil Ultra 5w30 meets Honda HTO-06 specs which is a turbo spec as well as GM and SN GF5. While not specifically Dexos it should be good in this engine also.

This 1.4 turbo is used in the Astra and is spec for 5w30, the 2.0 is the 0w40 engine.

Originally Posted By: bigjl
Are you sure they spec it for uniformity rather than the engine was designed that way for uniformity.

Seems more likely that the car was designed to meet a common spec. If this is the same engine fitted to several Opel and Vauxhall in Europe for several years the I suspect that it has been.

You do realise that 5w30 is an extremely common oil spec in Europe?

And has been getting more common over the last 15 years.

Really? So even Europe is slowly moving towards thinner oils. North America went from xw-30 to xw-20 and Europe from xw-40 to xw-30.
Hmmmmmm. Interesting trend.

I can't see a reason to. Doesn't PU and M1 meet HTO-06 and Dexos 1? If so, should be good enough.

Europe has always had 30w. The HTHS is much higher than the US with 3.5.
I see where your coming from. Trying to bring this from the other thread. Forget it, don't hijack someone else's thread.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
I can't see a reason to. Doesn't PU and M1 meet HTO-06 and Dexos 1? If so, should be good enough.

I agree entirely. 40 weight wouldn't hurt, but it might hamper performance and fuel economy a little.

After looking at that Cruze UOA, I'd probably do 7,500 miles max for highway driving and 5,000 for in town driving using a 5w-30 synthetic.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Europe has always had 30w. The HTHS is much higher than the US with 3.5.
I see where your coming from. Trying to bring this from the other thread. Forget it, don't hijack someone else's thread.

Is that HTHS relating to A3/B4 oils, a lot of the 5w30 oils being used are A1/B1-A5/B5 for use in Ford vehicles and some Volvos. Ford were the first user of 5w30 in the Zerec engined vehicles.

In fact even now the A1/B1-A5/B5 Castrol Magnatec is additionally marked as Ford oil.

Whereas the 5w30 in A3/B3/B4 oil is marked as for Vauxhall cars.

Though I recently serviced a Vectra with the 2.2 direct injected camchain engine and that could run anything from 0w40 to 5w30 and plenty besides, we decided on 5w40 Castrol Edge A3/B4/C3 oil due to an offer at Costco it was that or Mobil 1, he does lots of high speed 75/85mph driving about 60 miles each way a few days a week so I thought going thick would provide better protection.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
After looking at that Cruze UOA, I'd probably do 7,500 miles max for highway driving and 5,000 for in town driving using a 5w-30 synthetic.

I feel exactly the same.
The OLM in the 1.4T and 1.8 seems to be calibrated the same even though the 1.4T seems to be harder on it's oil.
I'll definitely be sticking to synthetic only but was wondering about the pros/cons of using the awesome 0w40.

I only saw a mpg or MAYbe 2 when going from a thin M1 5w-30 to a thick RT6 5w-40. My manual recommends thick for "improved vehicle performance". Seems like smaller motors react w/ larger mpg swings in increasing viscosity from what I've read. I'm splitting the difference with the seasons.

Originally Posted By: pbm

I feel exactly the same.
The OLM in the 1.4T and 1.8 seems to be calibrated the same even though the 1.4T seems to be harder on it's oil.
I'll definitely be sticking to synthetic only but was wondering about the pros/cons of using the awesome 0w40.

Same here. 7500-8000 miles max on full synthetic 5w-30 that meets dexos1 in the 1.4T.

I see from UOA's that this turbo motor can be tough on oil. What do you gents think about using Mobil 1 0w40 in this 1.4T (after warranty of course)? Do you think the slightly heavier viscosity would be helpful with the turbo?

With the current AA sale I'm debating Mobil 1 EP 5w30 or regular Mobil 1 0w40.
I'm thinking that this (Opel designed) engine would probably call for 40 wt. in Europe but that GM spec's 5w30 dexos 1 for the sake of uniformity.

Aside from warranty concerns, I doubt you'd experience any issues running something like M1 0W40 in that engine. I can't speak as to whether or not you'd benefit from it because I don't own one of those cars, but I also don't think you'd create any issues.

The warranty concern really is personal and that would be up to you to decide. In reality, an automaker can't really void a warranty just for using a higher viscosity oil unless it caused damage. However, they can make your life miserable while you fight it out
wink.gif

Personally, I've never been one to care about warranty denial and have never had it happen to me.

I feel exactly the same.

How are do you driving the car? Are you taking part in track days at the race track?
If not, while M1 0W-40 is an "awesome" lubricant in the right application, it will be less "awesome" in your (137 hp?) Cruise.
Aside from the warranty non compliance, you may notice that the engine is less responsive when cold in the winter with more turbo lag. On the positive side; well I can't see any advantages if you're already using a 5W-30 synthetic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back