ford ranger 2.9l v6 1991 really cold climate

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok, hi evrybody, i've read evry chapter of the oil university on bob is the oil guy. But i'm still a little confuse. Here during winter its always under 0Celsius (36F) and it gets some time under 35c ( about -33f). My manual says 5w-30, but i know its still too thick at startup to have some kind of lubrification. So i tough about 0w-30 but it doesnt seem like it exist here in canada. So should i go with 5w-20 ? or could i go lower ? i've seen some 0w-20, but i can decide, i would need some advice. thanks,

Also, from my understanding, any oil at 212f is at 10 of viscosity ( wich is what we want ), but at startup temperature any oil is always too thick... so could i go with a 0w-0 (if it exist) that have a viscosity of 10 at 212f ? or is there problem associated on running thin oil ? this is why im confused so if i get something wrong, please tell me

You can get German Castrol, 0W-30, around here. There's also a number of other oils around that are 0W-30, though, finding them depends on your area. Petro-Canada sells a synthetic 0W-30 and a semi-synthetic 0W-30. Shell Rotella T5 0W-30 is available in some places as a semi-synthetic 0W-30.

If (and it probably is) back spec'd by Ford to take 5W-20 or 0W-20 you're more then fine running 0W-20. In fact I'd run 0W-20 in your case even if it didn't call for it, unless I was running it in the heat of summer and towing a trailer, then I'd worry.

But for winter 0W-20 would probably be perfect.

Last edited:
The 2.9 was not one of Ford's best efforts.
Still, if it is always really cold during the time a twenty is run and if the engine is never run for a long period on the highway, I'd think that a twenty grade might be a good choice for this or any engine over the very cold months, and Quebec gets plenty cold.

Ford did not back spec 5-20 to 91. I believe it went back to about 2000. With that said I did use 5-20 in engines calling for 10-40 back in 78. Today, try a 0-30 synthetic.

I do not know why you think a good 5w30 is too thick. I would use Mobil 1 5w30 or Pennzoil Platinum/Ultra 5w30 (found at your local Walmart) and be confident it will do the job. It will.

Originally Posted By: chubbs1
I do not know why you think a good 5w30 is too thick. I would use Mobil 1 5w30 or Pennzoil Platinum/Ultra 5w30 (found at your local Walmart) and be confident it will do the job. It will.

+1 good oil for that motor year round.

You can't find Mobil 1 0W30 in Canada? If not I'd grab any good 5W30 synthetic and call it a day.

PP is one of the lightest 5w-30 on the market. I'd advise against using GC, it may be a 0w-30 but it is very thick due to its high hths

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
You can't find Mobil 1 0W30 in Canada? If not I'd grab any good 5W30 synthetic and call it a day.

Mobil 1 Advanced Fuel Economy, yeah they sell that up here.

That is another good choice you'll likely find at most stores like [censored] Tire, never thought of that.

5w-30 is okay as long you let your car get warm before you rev up the rmp.

get 0w-30 if it makes you feel better inside , worst case senario order on internet if you live in middle of no where.

If most of your winter trips are less than 10-15 miles or less than 20-25 minutes, then even with 0W20 your engine will not get to operating temperature around 85-90 degree C. At temp below 70-75C 0W20 is still fairly thick.

It's a vehicle from 1991. It's somewhere around 22 years old.

Plain old 5w-30 hasn't killed it yet.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
I would not run 20 weight in that engine; they have enough issues with the weight specified IIRC.

why should i not run 20 weight in this engine ? i'm still pretty undecided.. !
confused.gif

What oil have you been running in it in the past? My family has had three of these engines, putting over 250,000 miles on each one.

IMHO, these engines love Mobil 1. My father uses Mobil 1 10w-30HM in his Ranger and it still runs well. I'd try and find some Mobil Super 5w-30 or 10w-30HM oil and call it a day. 20wt, even though I have never used it in a 2.9, is too thin I believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back