Cleaning out the lines

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently purchased my 98 Buick Century and with only 65k miles the car sat alot...the P/O took very good care of the car and just had the Fuel filter changed out at 63k...today I did the first fill up and ran a bottle of Chevron Techron with it and I got a 2nd bottle for my next fill up just to clean out the lines and injectors...it idles smooth but I figure it cant hurt just to give it some nice treatment now that its mine

I'd do the same thing plus run a tank or two of premium through it. Now, what kind of oil are you going to put in it?

It it runs great, no MIL, etc, your fuel system is fine. I wouldn't worry about it.

For a 1998 3.4L, I'd be more concerned with the condition/look of the engine coolant. Might be time for intake manifold gaskets on the old girl. Once that's complete, that's one tough, reliable, economical drive-train.

I'd also do an ATF change on that 4T65E trans. That's a fine trans too.

Joel

Originally Posted By: Oldwolf
I'd do the same thing plus run a tank or two of premium through it. Now, what kind of oil are you going to put in it?

You don't need premium...if your vehicle call for regular.

Using Techron is a good idea.

You also might consider using MMO on a regular basis (3 to 4 0z. per 10 gallons of fuel). Its been great for my vehicle, lubricating the fuel pump and keeping the entire fuel system clean.

Also agree that an ATF change might be in order at this time.

ya it has the 3.1 in it and defintely gonna look into the intake gaskets....Ill skip the premium gas and after the first two tanks Ill back off a little since this motor does run and idle smooth I think that the P/O took really good care of it...gotta love old timers who dont use their cars much and pay for dealer services keeps the car running nice and looking great

As far as oil I am going to run Valvoline Nextgen for a while since I have it free for now and then go for whatver cheap/free oil i can....5w30 is the grade I plan on using

I finally filled up on my 3rd tank and did this one with no additive....car seems to run and idle great so i am thinking the P/O did a nice job changing out Fuel filters and what not but my only worry was with the low mileage that the gas sat alot so thats why I did the two tankfulls....next OC I will pour in some MMO that i got at Menards for .49 a bottle.

If the vehicle is performing perfectly why play around, sure you can add a bottle of Techron to the tank once in a while, but why in the world would you bother adding something like MMO that GM does NOT recommend?

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
If the vehicle is performing perfectly why play around, sure you can add a bottle of Techron to the tank once in a while, but why in the world would you bother adding something like MMO that GM does NOT recommend?

Let's look at GMs history of what they recommend and do not specifically recommend. C'mon now...!
Of course they can't make blanket recommendations - who knows what people may do. Like put ATF in the engine, etc.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
Originally Posted By: antiqueshell

Let's look at GMs history of what they recommend and do not specifically recommend. C'mon now...!
Of course they can't make blanket recommendations - who knows what people may do. Like put ATF in the engine, etc.

@ mechtech2:

I'm kind of surprised that you would argue with the old adage that "If it ain't broke, don't "fix" it." LOL

is there a reason they dont reccomnend it, I like to keep up with clean lines and injectors in my vehicles before they get clogged or cause midfire codes....I didnt realize GM did not reccomned the MMO though

Originally Posted By: 4x4chevydude
is there a reason they dont reccomnend it, I like to keep up with clean lines and injectors in my vehicles before they get clogged or cause midfire codes....I didnt realize GM did not reccomned the MMO though

The fact is that as long as you are in the USA, you will almost never have an issue with contaminated gasoline. The lines don't get dirty, and the injectors will be fine since your fuel is first being filtered long before it reaches the injectors.

The most likely issue would be carbon build up on the injector pintle which could possible keep the nozzle from spraying evenly or possibly sticking open causing a leak.

Even this is pretty rare today because most gas has ethanol and other detergents that do a very effective job at keeping these clean.

If you want just occasionally use a bottle of PEA detergent cleaner like Redline, or Techron. The full strength versions will remove any build up from those parts and the combusion chamber+valves.

MMO is an oil, and has NO place in a modern fuel system, if anything it will create a dirty build up situation.

Anything that claims to be a fuel system lubricant should be avoided at all costs, they do more harm than good as today's systems are designed with modern fuel characteristics in mind, no need for some so called additional lubricant.

Last edited:
I have GMC vans running daily with over 400k miles, ORIGINAL fuel systems. All stock as shipped to us.

I am guilty of an occasional MMO dose and a 16 ounce swig of Kreen. But that is very infrequent.

Nary a hiccup. Not a problem in our world.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back