Can I use this oil for my SUV?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2006 CRDI KIA Sorento.
The Engine is a 2.5L D4CB engine from Hyundai.
I bought it second hand and the the previous owner can't provide me decent info about a good oil to use.
I'm not sure which spec to follow, the CI-4 or 5w30 rating???
What should I use for this engine? Do i have to use syn or semi-syn or can I stick with mineral?

Can I use this oil?
212032587_21201696407648ae34649cee0e7f7c42269b9830f84696d51.jpg

CI-4 is a diesel rated oil, so you'll probably want to match it. 5W-30 is just the recommended weight, CI-4 is the recommended specification.

As for syn/mineral, you can use whatever you want, just mineral oil won't last as long as syn will.

so can I use a mineral oil with a non-matching weight as long as I follow the CI-4 spec?
BTW, I'm only assuming that it's CI-4 but I'm still not certain about what I should really use as I don't have the manual for this :-(

It says API SM/CF right on the bottle. It is a 5w40 synthetic. No reason not to use it. If your worried, mix it one bottle at a time into your oil changes or something.

It's odd that it's not API certified. Toyota makes some very good oils, but I have no idea about this one.

Originally Posted By: tinmanSC
It's odd that it's not API certified. Toyota makes some very good oils, but I have no idea about this one.

American Petroleum Institute, OP appears to be in Philippines

Originally Posted By: tinmanSC

Am I missing something? It says on the bottle API: SM/CF.

As for OP, how hard is to download an users manual from the KIA website?

Originally Posted By: Donald
I would go with the recommended weight for temp in your area. The oil in the pic is SM rated so unless your Kia takes SN, the SM rating should be fine.

What if this is diesel?

ezcharlie: You'll need to find out what was specified for the engine, either through tracking down a manual or checking under the hood for a placard. If it requires a diesel specification of CI-4 or better, the Toyota oil is not going to meet that.

CI-4 5w-30 oils have been discontinued by Mobil up here, since there are few vehicles left that require it; our Coops still make some. If you need something in a 30 grade that's CI-4 or better, there should be offerings from Shell or Mobil in conventional or synthetic. Mobil Delvac Elite 222 0w-30 comes to mind, for instance, for a synthetic with modern specifications. Alternatively, Mobil Delvac Super 1300 10w-30 is a conventional choice.

For a diesel engine from 2006, I would stay away from a CF rated lube unless it's allowed by the manual.

Mobil list
MOBIL DELVAC 1 ESP 5W-40
or MOBIL DELVAC MX ESP 15W-40
or MOBIL DELVAC MX 15W-40
or MOBIL 1 0W-40

for the turbodiesels, D1, having all of the latest CI specs, 0W-40 having just CF, but a boat load of other specs for other markets.

So pick the price point of your poison, from regular MX, through to M1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back