Justification For Going Oversized

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: rrounds
The S2000 has a larger oil filter than all the other Honda's of those years(1999 to 2009).
I run a Baldwin filter that is over twice as large as the big Honda oil filter for the S2000. I change it every other oil change, works for me.
You also stay out of bypass more with a larger oil filter and I like the oil getting to my engine to go through the filter not around it.

ROD

May I ask which Baldwin filter you used?

filtersize.gif

I Just ordered some Baldwin B1421 Filters for my Accord and TSX.

Last edited:
Honda's filter efficiency are not great. Those numbers in the Service Bulletin above pretty much correlate with the Amsoil chart of ISO 4548-12 efficiency testing.

Originally Posted By: zmelli

Just a FYI, regardless of what that Honda service bulletin says, Baldwin will only warranty the filter they catalog for your application. So cross referencing the larger Honda P/N's to a Baldwin will do nothing in this regard to warranty if the larger Baldwin fails.

Originally Posted By: Hootbro
Just a FYI, regardless of what that Honda service bulletin says, Baldwin will only warranty the filter they catalog for your application. So cross referencing the larger Honda P/N's to a Baldwin will do nothing in this regard to warranty if the larger Baldwin fails.

True that. Certainly a risk, however small, that one runs by running any oversized filter.

filtersize.gif

Cool tsb. Noting the date, 02, as I mentioned in a previous post in this thread, in 01 Honda changed from the larger/shorter 14459 size to the current 14610/7317 size. Many dealers including mine continued to use and supply the larger filter. I suspect either the supply of the new size was short, and/or dealers just didn't want to carry the additional filter. Eventually they started carrying the new spec.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Honda's filter efficiency are not great. Those numbers in the Service Bulletin above pretty much correlate with the Amsoil chart of ISO 4548-12 efficiency testing.

Very true. I for one never doubted the Amsoil results because in addition to the poor showing of the Honda and Toyota, 3 others had very respectable results. Also, why I feel confident using a P1 PL14610 rather than Honda oem.

My recent research is pushing towards the idea that if you increase efficiency more than a small amount, even with a synthetic depth media, you either need to go with more media (oversized filter) or run a very conservative FCI to make sure the filter doesn't plug. I heard a few insider details on a particular high efficiency filter plugging "situation" a few years back and it gave me pause to consider that maybe you can push the efficiency thing too far if you aren't very, very careful. Turns me right back to bypass filtration, which offers the cleaning part of it (and clean oil is VERY beneficial) without putting the main lube system at any risk.

My long interval experiments are going to include DP measurements... somehow. The F150 will be easy... a port is available. The 6.9L diesel, with it's built-in BP valve... not so much.

Originally Posted By: Jim Allen
My long interval experiments are going to include DP measurements... somehow. The F150 will be easy... a port is available. The 6.9L diesel, with it's built-in BP valve... not so much.

I suppose you'll have need for more gages in the truck? Will you even be able to see over the dash? You, sir, need intervention.
grin2.gif

Last edited:

The Larger baldwin should be the same size as the older Honda filters. I always look up the old Honda application for a 1989 Prelude for my Hondas, I just like the added capacity. I hope the baldwins are not prone to fail? That is what I wanted to switch to after I finish my stach of the old honda Filters.

The Larger baldwin should be the same size as the older Honda filters. I always look up the old Honda application for a 1989 Prelude for my Hondas, I just like the added capacity. I hope the baldwins are not prone to fail? That is what I wanted to switch to after I finish my stach of the old honda Filters.

Baldwins are one of the better filters out there.

Regardless though, if what you are putting on there is not what Baldwin catalogs for your application, they have grounds to deny warranty if the filter fails.

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
Originally Posted By: Jim Allen

I suppose you'll have need for more gages in the truck? Will you even be able to see over the dash? You, sir, need intervention.
grin2.gif

Yep! I can quit any time! Yep!

I chose an oversize Mann filter for my alfa romeo.

Normal length is about 70mm if I recall correctly.
I'm running one that is over 100mm in length.

Hoping it will help reduce the infamous/notorious low oil pressure at hot idle on old alfas.
If I keep the idle rpm at about 950 min I get about 15 psi at idle which is on the min. limit.

If you alfa is anything like my fiat uno was, then there might be o problem with the little rubber piece that fits between the oil pump and the length of pipe to the oil screen holder. You can unscrew the pipe and use some silicone sealant between the surfaces. Of course, the pan has to be dropped.

I had low oil pressure at idle on hot days. The pressure light was flickering. It didn't happen again after I used the above method. I guess that air was drawn through the gap, which was too much to allow the pump to be fed correctly.

Baldwins are one of the better filters out there.

Regardless though, if what you are putting on there is not what Baldwin catalogs for your application, they have grounds to deny warranty if the filter fails.

Baldwin seems to be the only filter company, that I've seen, that provides cross-reference information to a larger capacity filter, but like most filters companies they provide very little real information regarding filtering efficiencies of their product (i.e. 21 micron at a 98% efficiency rate)

I managed to stumble across this short youtube video from Noria that explains how to evaluate filters. Things became a little bit clearer and cloudy at the same time. Clearer regarding what some of the filter spec numbers mean, cloudier when it comes to actually getting this information regarding a given brand of filter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiLhfAFhk...ture=plpp_video

But I digress a little bit, but I'm assuming that if I have more media to store the same amount of dirt (because I'm using a larger filter) then, in theory, I should have a more efficient filtering system for the same duty cycle.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back