kia filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
2012 optima, friend of mines car, she wants me to change the oil tomorrow, only problem is the nearest dealer is 60 miles away. Knowing of the kia filter TSb,, would it hurt to use an aftermarket filter?

I use the P1 # PL14459 on my 2011 Sonata 2.4L engine. No problems after 2 OCI's approx. 7.5K miles. I am using NAPA 5w-20 which I scored for $3.39/qt last summer. Watch for wheel alignment problem as my car left the factory with improperly set rear toe-in. Optima is built in a different factory so they may not have had the problem. Enjoy the new Optima!---Oldtommy

The Beck/Arnley filter is similar if not identical to stock, use one of those if there is a parts store around that carries it.

M1 and K&N oil filters work OK. I found the Bosch D+, Purolator and WIX to not work as well. Still there is nothing like the OEM. Does she have to change it tomorrow?? You can get 'em on E-Bay all day long for cheaper than the Dealerships and you will never have any question with the warranty. Just order like 5-10 filters and you will be set for a while. I would use OEM especially with winter coming up. That is the only OEM oil filter I think is better than aftermarkets. Just speaking from experience.

in my kia i used super tech and also the puro classic with no issue,s what so ever.
next change i"m trying the pure 1

When I bought my Sonata (used) it had a regular Fram on it, which seemed to work fine.

It knocked terribly with a Champ Labs made STP filter. Since then I've used OEM filters or Beck Arnley.

But, does your friend's KIA use the spin-on filter or the cartridge filter? My Sonata uses the spin-on filter.

Last edited:
2012 still in warranty. Aftermarket will be OK unless you have warranty problems. I would stock up on OEM oil filters before the next OC.

My only advice is to just avoid the low end FRAM and and E-Core base filter and you will be all right.

I have used a Baldwin and even a AAP Driveworks filter on my SOUL with no issue.

It won't void the warranty, but many ppl like to keep it simple and stay with oem while under warranty. Just a easy way to be super double sure they can't question it. But in your case OEM is out of reach.

So this leaves aftermarket.

I would go to walmart and get either a fram ultra (also called extended guard if the stock isnt up to date yet), bosch distance plus, or a purolator classic. All 3 are good filters in different price ranges. Easy, fast, and most likely cheaper than an auto parts store.

While your there you can pick up your oil. (again cheaper)

Did a application lookup for the walmart filters. They list the same filter for the 2.4L, 2.0L turbo, and 2.4L hybrid on a 2012 kia optima.

Fram XG/ultra: XG9688

Bosch D+: D3312

Purolator classic: L14459

Last edited:
PL14459 will be your best friend in this situation. Have her buy like 3-4 from AAP and use one of the coupons that are always floating around in the sales section to get a lower price. And if you buy a P1 filter with a Purolator air filter at AAP, there is a $6 rebate right now as well.

Puralator classic or PureOne (yellow) and quaker state or pennzoil oil from walmart.

stay away from fram orange cans, STP oil filters. don't bother with K&N and M1 since you're only doing this once.

My engine and her engine use the same filter part number from Hyundai/Kia.

I've used Purolator filters on my car without a problem.

As for warranty, don't worry about it. Yes, having an OEM filter does help in case of warranty issue, it essentially makes it easier. However, if Hyundai/KIA REQUIRED their OEM filter be used then by US law they had to provide the filter and oil change service for free.

The KIA/Hyundai TSB is only applicable to oil filters without a bypass valve or a very poor bypass valve pressure, so STP/FRAM Orange cans fall within that category.

Last edited:
It is bad idea to do oil change (or any service where parts are removed and put back) just before a trip. For example, if there is a leak after the oil change, do you want her to find it out 150 miles away from home or at home or near work?

Extra 300 mile isn't going to adversely affect the engine. Doing risk analysis, she is better of doing the oil change after coming back from the trip. It is a 2012 car. I presume it already has oil life monitor. How long has it been since the oil change light has come on?

Check the level and if it is OK and if the oil looks and feels normal, leave it alone until the trip is completed.

This is how I would handle it. Very rarely I will perform any wrenching on the vehicle just minutes before the trip. Check all the fluids, top them up if needed but not start draining anything at that time.

- Vikas

Last edited:
I used nothing but ST filters in our Kia Sprotage and they worked just fine. No noises or anything.

Originally Posted By: mobilaltima
2012 optima, friend of mines car, she wants me to change the oil tomorrow, only problem is the nearest dealer is 60 miles away. Knowing of the kia filter TSb,, would it hurt to use an aftermarket filter?

It's too late now, but she should have had the salesman throw in a filter with the sale like I did when I bought my KIA.
27.gif

If considering Bosch D+ filters, there have been complaints about the gasket not fitting properly and oil leaks on 2.4L Kias and Hyundais. I am also now using just OEM filters, <$5 in bulk on EBay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back