saving money on struts

Status
Not open for further replies.
A friend needs new struts on her 04 forester. If it is anything like my car this will be big bucks! Is there anyway to save on this? Struts really seem like NOT a DIY project, esp for a rookie like me. Any other ways to save a few bucks? Maybe rebuilt parts???

Pull a part yards and salvage yards will be your best friend if you are looking to get them as cheap as possible.

Identify which ones need replacing would be a good start. I doubt more than 1 or 2 need replacing. Only 1 has totally failed on the Neon for example and I doubt they are better than average. I bought a spring compressor that clamps onto the spring and an electric impact gun and its pretty easy to change out individual strut parts.

well i was hoping to have good news for you (on the easy for a rookie front) but alas monroe doesn't make "quick struts" for this model.
if they did, it would be the way to go. it's the entire assembly, pre-assembled. you only have to mess with a few bolts..
this video is a dodge neon, but i can't imagine it being TOO dis-similar.....

I guess if you can find the right parts in good shape, still on the car @ a scrap yard, you could use those assemblies as a sort of quick strut...

I have the proper ones for my neon saved to my amazon wish list, for when i DO need them, and the prices range from $111-$135- for mine, YPMV(don't think i've seen them above $150.)

Last edited:
It is DIY if you can spend 2 days working on it and have a spare car for potential parts run.

You can borrow the spring compressor from Autozone, you can buy strut online for lower cost, and if it is not a common failure you can pull from junk yard, but it is about 1/2 the work anyways so why bother? The only difference between junk yard and new strut DIY is the spring compressor. You still need an alignment afterward.

I did it on a windstar over a weekend. It was an ordeal but I got it done. Tough part was getting nuts loose. Used a propane torch to free the rust. Bought a breaker bar that Autozone would have loaned me, but I love that thing.

I wonder if the dealer sells complete struts? Then what might be the cost? I have used Monroe quick struts. I like them over having to break down the struts to use the OE springs, and having to get all the parts together.

Just get a decent spring compressor.

In the old days,JC Whitney sold "strut recharging kits".No kidding,you drilled a hole,tapped it for a grease fitting,and pumped an oil substance into them.Of course this didnt take into consideration why the struts would need to be replaced in the first place.....leaky seal/worn piston.

Originally Posted By: joaks
A friend needs new struts on her 04 forester. If it is anything like my car this will be big bucks! Is there anyway to save on this? Struts really seem like NOT a DIY project, esp for a rookie like me. Any other ways to save a few bucks? Maybe rebuilt parts???

If you can't DIY it then there's not really much chance for saving money, IMO.

You could try to find a shop that will install junkyard parts or parts you bring in. But usually in that case, they won't be responsible for any problems. For example, if your junkyard strut fails in a few months, you're out of luck.

Last edited:
Junkyard parts? Give me a break. Save the cash, do it right and dont make a reason to do it again. Id shop independent service places that will give the best price for quality parts plus service. Some may charge more per hour to install parts that you bring in, but they will install them - then you get the best quality part for the best price at the place of your choice.

Dont play junkyard on parts that are wear items and likely will be in close to the same shape as the ones on the car now. Struts are essentially a safety item.

+1 on that.....waste of time, safety concerns etc.
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Junkyard parts? Give me a break. Save the cash, do it right and dont make a reason to do it again. Id shop independent service places that will give the best price for quality parts plus service. Some may charge more per hour to install parts that you bring in, but they will install them - then you get the best quality part for the best price at the place of your choice.

Dont play junkyard on parts that are wear items and likely will be in close to the same shape as the ones on the car now. Struts are essentially a safety item.

few years back when my brother put a 2" or so lift on his Dakota, he bought an..."inexpensive"... spring compressor, not sure what type.
Once he had the truck up on his DIY "jack stands"(old computer cases) and the old suspension out, he couldn't get the new springs compressed far enough to install.
So he threw the parts into the back of his mustang, and went to a local shop. They assembled the assembly for him, and made sure everything was secure enough to transport back home and he put the truck back together.

dunno if something like that might be an option for you, but i imagine it would be cheaper than the labor of having a shop do the whole thing.( honestly couldn't tell you what he paid)

Originally Posted By: earlyre

Once he had the truck up on his DIY "jack stands"(old computer cases)

I have two words for that.

In. Sane.

Computer cases are not solid metal by any stretch of the imagination, and some are downright flimsy. He's lucky that he didn't kill himself.

might have been server cases, or power supplies, or something of the like.. he has a lot of "e-waste", retired equipment, etc. from the hospital he does IT for... now i'll have to try and find those pictures again....

I know he's careful enough to do anything TOO insane.
He wouldn't have gotten UNDER the truck like that, but just off to the side...
21.gif

Originally Posted By: oilboy123
+1 on that.....waste of time, safety concerns etc.
Originally Posted By: JHZR2

It would be alot of time, as to test the strut itself you have to take the spring out of it. Or if you like to gamble, throw 4 tires on the car at the wreckers and give it the "bump test". But if I had more time than money, its a good option, as I don't know anyone who replaces all(or any) safety related items when buying a used car unless they have a good reason to...
Also you can look to see if any cars have had the struts replaced recently. Lots of cars at the wreckers have nearly new parts on them.

Doing something extremely means doing the same job twice, and in the end, paying more.

If you can't buy quick struts or the equivalent, buy some good new struts and strut mounts, take the new and old parts to a repair shop, and pay one of their mechanics $20-$25 per side to swap the new struts and mounts onto the old springs.

Struts aren't as hard as you might think, if you get someone else to take care of compressing the spring.

You can't buck the system. It's a favorite saying of mine when I hear someone trying to cut a corner. I've watched people spend alot more money, time, and effort when they had the opportunity to do it once correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back