What fluid replaces mobil 3309 and Toyota Type IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
It appears that these two fluids used in a fair amount of asin warner 6 speed automatic transmissions is no longer available (perhaps except on fleabay)

Specifically the AWTF-80SC (AWF21) ...

It appears that Toyota's newest fluid WS is NOT compatible with Type IV .

Yep. Carquest carries T-IV and Mobil 3309 here. The dealership had 'em beat by a few bucks a qt though, typical.

My local Toyota dealer has type IV. Mobil 1 is impossible to find in my area but, when I lived in ILL I bought #3309 from the Mobil distributor. If I remember correctly, Castrol for IMPORT VEHICLES has ATF listed as approved for IV. My WalMarts has it for $4.XX per quart. Ed

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
It appears that these two fluids used in a fair amount of asin warner 6 speed automatic transmissions is no longer available
Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
The fluid is still readily available last time i checked...
Agree w/bdcardinal. There are still a LOT of Toyotas on the road that spec T-IV...I can't imagine it's being phased out this soon.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Heck, plenty of Mobil 3309 on the shelves here, even.

Which stores exactly?

I checked the mobil (esso) online locator for the USA and only a handful of distrubutors seem to have it. None even close to where I live.

I also checked amazon for both Toyota Type IV
and Mobil 3309 and they do not show it available.

If you know of any more chain stores that carry it please post.

I checked the car quest site and they do NOT show it as in their product line up.

Last edited:
I checked with our local Mobil distributor here in Detroit. The 3309 from their warehouse is more expensive than T-IV from the local Toyota dealer.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
The fluid is still readily available last time i checked...

Where exactly?
call your nearest 'yota dealership parts dept. Amazon has lots listed but they are about 7-9 bucks a qt. I paid $4.17 each at 'yota.

dwcopple:

Thanks for the tips.

I'd feel a bit better about buying the Mobil 3309 fluid because unlike the Toyota T IV Mobil gives it blanket approval for all those Aisin transmissions. At least you get some product protection with it.

If others know where you can get Mobil 3309 on the shelf at a brick and mortar parts store post here, Thanks.
It won't just help me but many others as well.

Which stores exactly?

Up here, Canadian Tire had a bunch. That doesn't mean much, since the locations in this city tend to carry a bunch of oddball transmission fluids.

Seems this is getting thrown around a bit.

The 6 speed Aisin uses an "AW 1" spec which is not the same as JS3309 or T IV. Maybe they are compatible however nobody has definite info on this.

Saab has 2 distinct fluids for the Aisin 5 speed and 6 speed. Out of the manual 5 speed is "JS3309" and 6 speed is "AW 1".

Use the oem fluid for the 6 speed.

Originally Posted By: dmk

The 6 speed Aisin uses an "AW 1" spec which is not the same as JS3309 or T IV. Maybe they are compatible however nobody has definite info on this.

Saab has 2 distinct fluids for the Aisin 5 speed and 6 speed. Out of the manual 5 speed is "JS3309" and 6 speed is "AW 1".

Actually you are incorrect on Mobil.com it specifically states Mobil 3309 atf meets Ford spec WSS-M2C-924-A, which is for the Aisin 6 speed that is in the Ford 500 and Mercury Montego. AWF21 (F21)

Here is the link: http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENPVLMOMobil_ATF_3309.aspx

Last edited:

Actually you are incorrect on Mobil.com it specifically states Mobil 3309 atf meets Ford spec WSS-M2C-924-A, which is for the Aisin 6 speed that is in the Ford 500 and Mercury Montego. AWF21 (F21)

Here is the link: http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENPVLMOMobil_ATF_3309.aspx

I realize that but it still doesn't seem correct. The AW1 and JS3309 are not the same spec or fluid.

Until someone posts definitive info that AW1 is compatible with JS3309/T-IV, AW1 is THE spec to be met at least for the Saab trannys.
I challenge somebody to get this info. I called Amsoil and they too said an AW1 spec oil is needed and the JS3309 doesn't meet the spec.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
Castrol for IMPORT VEHICLES has ATF listed as approved for IV. My WalMarts has it for $4.XX per quart. Ed
Not exactly. Castrol "recommends" that fluid for T-IV/3309. The fluid "meets the requirements" for MerconV, Dex-III
http://www.castrol.com/castrol/sectiongenericarticle.do?categoryId=9012226&contentId=7028224

There is no other fully approved ATF for 3309 usages except the real 3309 or the same stuff under the car makers' labels.

This shows which transmissions Mobil says their 3309 is good for:
http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENPVLMOMobil_ATF_3309.aspx

Some of the near-universal fluids are recommended for AW-1...Brad Penn is one:
http://www.amref.com/CMSFiles/File/bp_pb/7423_BP_MULTI_VEHICLE_ATF_PB.pdf
Wolf's Head is another:
http://amaliestore.com/proddetail.php?prod=836-92866-56

The 6 speed Aisin uses an "AW 1" spec which is not the same as JS3309 or T IV.
My niece has a Ford Fusion with the Aisin F-21 6-speed and "T-IV" is stamped right on the dipstick. Ford also says that the 5-speed uses a proprietary fluid, so I think you have it backward.

I'd feel a bit better about buying the Mobil 3309 fluid because unlike the Toyota T IV Mobil gives it blanket approval for all those Aisin transmissions.
My understanding, and please someone correct me if I'm wrong, is that Toyota T-IV is Mobil 3309. Supposedly Mobil is the only supplier, at least in NA, for Ford, Toyota, and Mazda's versions of this fluid.

Originally Posted By: RF Overlord
My niece has a Ford Fusion with the Aisin F-21 6-speed and "T-IV" is stamped right on the dipstick. Ford also says that the 5-speed uses a proprietary fluid, so I think you have it backward.

Correct, the FNR5 uses FNR5 fluid which is the same as Mazda MV fluid, not to be confused with Ford Mercon V.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back