What fluid replaces mobil 3309 and Toyota Type IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Ken2
Originally Posted By: Eddie
Castrol for IMPORT VEHICLES has ATF listed as approved for IV. My WalMarts has it for $4.XX per quart. Ed
Not exactly. Castrol "recommends" that fluid for T-IV/3309. The fluid "meets the requirements" for MerconV, Dex-III
http://www.castrol.com/castrol/sectiongenericarticle.do?categoryId=9012226&contentId=7028224

There is no other fully approved ATF for 3309 usages except the real 3309 or the same stuff under the car makers' labels.

This shows which transmissions Mobil says their 3309 is good for:
http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENPVLMOMobil_ATF_3309.aspx

Some of the near-universal fluids are recommended for AW-1...Brad Penn is one:
http://www.amref.com/CMSFiles/File/bp_pb/7423_BP_MULTI_VEHICLE_ATF_PB.pdf
Wolf's Head is another:
http://amaliestore.com/proddetail.php?prod=836-92866-56

Good find Ken2.

Note that the Brad Penn meets AW1, but not viscosity rating, but doesn't meet the Saab 93165147 part #/requirement--quite strange.

The Wolf's Head however does say it meets the AW 1 and the Saab 93 165 147 part #.
However it also states that it meets the Saab JS3309 spec which is a "mineral oil based" fluid only so I really wonder when a company throw all these applications at 1 oil. Seems to diminish the actual specs...

Very confusing.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
I'd feel a bit better about buying the Mobil 3309 fluid because unlike the Toyota T IV Mobil gives it blanket approval for all those Aisin transmissions.

Quote:

My understanding, and please someone correct me if I'm wrong, is that Toyota T-IV is Mobil 3309. Supposedly Mobil is the only supplier, at least in NA, for Ford, Toyota, and Mazda's versions of this fluid.

Yes RF Overlord Toyota T-IV and Mobil 3309 are one in the same...one of the giveaways is the bottle shape, you'll notice that the Toyota branded bottle IS simply the Mobil container in black with the Toyota label.

So...

Motorcraft XT8QAW = Toyota T-IV = Mobil 3309

The only reason why I would chose the Mobil label is because firstly the XT8QAW has been discontinued NLA, and because if you use the Toyota brand they certainly would not have any sympathy for a possible failure..at least the Mobil specs claim coverage for the Ford spec on my car, it might not be worth much but it's a small piece of mind.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
The only reason why I would chose the Mobil label is because firstly the XT8QAW has been discontinued NLA, and because if you use the Toyota brand they certainly would not have any sympathy for a possible failure..at least the Mobil specs claim coverage for the Ford spec on my car, it might not be worth much but it's a small piece of mind.

Who told you its obsolete? I ask because they are full of cow poo. It is still readily available from Ford.

Also it is very uncommon for a part, even from FoMoCo, to release the disco duck on a part while vehicles that take it are still under warranty.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal

Who told you its obsolete? I ask because they are full of cow poo. It is still readily available from Ford.

I was at two dealers and the first parts guy (granted a young kid ) said it was NLA to use something like the Castrol import multi-vehicle atf. The second dealer said they MIGHT be able to special order it if I paid in advance but there was no assurance it could actually be obtained he said it was NOS. LOL

I'm sure there are some decent Ford stores around but I have never been to one yet.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Ya XT-8-QAW is atill available, I stock a few cases of it, like I do all the other Ford and Mazda transmission fluids.

It's nice to know there are competent, honest and well informed stores around, it just seems as if the majority are unfortunately "stealerships" .

These clowns spoil it for the good ones like your store.

I have worked at a number of dealers in the past most are just not staffed by good people. Although there are some good ones. The reason I ended up leaving the dealer retail service business is because of all the shady [censored] that usually goes on which ultimately involves screwing the customer.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back