RP High Performance Marine (HPM) 4-stroke

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is anyone using this oil?

Royal Purple HPM multi-Vis

My new boat has a 2003 5.0 MPI Mercruiser I/O. Engine has about 200 hours, has only seen Quick Silver 15W40 (syn blend).

I'm planning to switch to a full Synthetic, looking at RP HPM 10W40 or AMSOil Marine Synthetic 10W40 (WCF). I could not find any posts on the HPM. Members here seem to like AMSOil and Rotella.

Last edited:
I have a blown BBC in a go-fast boat that runs Amsoil Dominator exclusively.

I would recommend the Amsoil products, as they are excellent quality. But there are a zillion other options. Run the lightest weight you can use without consumption issues.

I would Use Royal Purple. top notch oil.. Great choice
cool.gif

I ran hp Injector in my outboard, very happy with it. But I've never looked into 4-stroke marine synthetics. I have an old Chrysler 360 inboard that gets Castrol GTX and Auto-rx. But want synthetic in the new boat. I run AMSOil fluids in all of my vehicles.

I wanted to see what people thought of the HPM other than the BoatTest.com review. RP and AMSOil are both top notch oils.

That's the whole issue. The quality of ALL synthetics is now quite uniform for most users.

No one really stands out anymore except in very specific usage.

Originally Posted By: Bluto
Is anyone using this oil?

Royal Purple HPM multi-Vis

My new boat has a 2003 5.0 MPI Mercruiser I/O. Engine has about 200 hours, has only seen Quick Silver 15W40 (syn blend).

I'm planning to switch to a full Synthetic, looking at RP HPM 10W40 or AMSOil Marine Synthetic 10W40 (WCF). I could not find any posts on the HPM. Members here seem to like AMSOil and Rotella.

I actually ran it in my Mercury outboard last year. It is only a 40HP 4-stroke so not exactly apples for apples with your engine. Posted about it here somewhere. I ran the 10W30 as I mainly use my boat during waterfowl season and a 30 weight makes it easier to start when it is 10 degrees out vs a 40 weight.

I have run Amsoil's 4-stroke OB oil too( also 10W-30 ). I am a Royal Purple guy so now that I have a real marine oil option from them to use that is what I will use. I am not unhappy with how the Amsoil performed I just prefer to support RP with my money.

Either one is a good oil. If you wanrt to use the RP stuff I say go for it and you will be using a great product froma great company.

Last edited:
Cannot believe NHHEMI didn't point this out but if you're under a warranty you might want to verify that your oil choice is officially approved!

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Cannot believe NHHEMI didn't point this out but if you're under a warranty you might want to verify that your oil choice is officially approved!

No warranty to worry about. I'll probably go AMSOil because I have an account. The Mercruiser manual has the typical info. I'm surprised by the 25W, that is a little thick when cold.

To help obtain optimum engine performance and to provide maximum protection, we
strongly recommend the use of Quicksilver 4-Cycle 25W-40 Marine Engine Oil. This oil is
a special blend of 25-weight and 40-weight oils for marine engines. If not available, a good
grade, straight weight, detergent automotive oil of the correct viscosity, with an API
classification of SH, CF/CF-2, may be used.

In those areas where Quicksilver 4-Cycle 25W-40 Marine Engine Oil or a recommended
straight weight oil are not available, a multi-viscosity 20W-40 or, as a second but less
preferable choice, 20W-50, with API service ratings of SH, CF/CF-2 may be used.

IMPORTANT: The use of non-detergent oils, multi-viscosity oils (other than
Quicksilver 25W-40 or a good quality 20W-40 or 20W-50), synthetic oils, low quality
oils or oils that contain solid additives are specifically not recommended.

Don't bring problems with me from other areas of the site to this thread. Get over it already.

Originally Posted By: Bluto

No warranty to worry about. I'll probably go AMSOil because I have an account. The Mercruiser manual has the typical info. I'm surprised by the 25W, that is a little thick when cold.

To help obtain optimum engine performance and to provide maximum protection, we
strongly recommend the use of Quicksilver 4-Cycle 25W-40 Marine Engine Oil. This oil is
a special blend of 25-weight and 40-weight oils for marine engines. If not available, a good
grade, straight weight, detergent automotive oil of the correct viscosity, with an API
classification of SH, CF/CF-2, may be used.

In those areas where Quicksilver 4-Cycle 25W-40 Marine Engine Oil or a recommended
straight weight oil are not available, a multi-viscosity 20W-40 or, as a second but less
preferable choice, 20W-50, with API service ratings of SH, CF/CF-2 may be used.

IMPORTANT: The use of non-detergent oils, multi-viscosity oils (other than
Quicksilver 25W-40 or a good quality 20W-40 or 20W-50), synthetic oils, low quality
oils or oils that contain solid additives are specifically not recommended.

My 2002 40HP 4-stroke actually recommends 25W-40 for summer use. 10W-30 for cooler temps. I ran the 25W-40 at 1st in the summer but it got hard to find even at Mercury dealers. Finally just started using 10W-30 and haven't looked back.

As I said above though our use is apples and oranges.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: NHHEMI

Don't bring problems with me from other areas of the site to this thread. Get over it already.

Blah, blah, blah. It's a forum, better get used to comments, bub.

My posts are a lot shorter than yours!

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI

Blah, blah, blah. It's a forum, better get used to comments, bub.

My posts are a lot shorter than yours!

So because I disagree with you on something completely unrelated to what this thread is about you feel it is ok to come in here and ride me and try and start a fight? I thought you were better than that. I thought you were one of the grown up's here who could disagree on something with another member and still be respectful. Guess I was wrong about you.

Wow.

Last edited:
yadda yadda, whatever boys.
Back to OP, RP has run some pretty flagrant ads via boattest.com. RP must be a heavy funder of boattest which would explain the biased reports there.
I´m sure RP is great anyway, and I like boattest.com but I want to flag for this situation.

Originally Posted By: lars11
yadda yadda, whatever boys.
Back to OP, RP has run some pretty flagrant ads via boattest.com. RP must be a heavy funder of boattest which would explain the biased reports there.
I´m sure RP is great anyway, and I like boattest.com but I want to flag for this situation.

Absolutely true. Everyone wants a market niche, and IMO RP has done a great job of moving their name out front.

That's just smart biz 101. But in a typical boat motor, especially what the OP described, there are a TON of choices that will provide extremely similar results.

I haven't seen any flagrant ads as you put it from RP on Boattest about their new marine specific oil? What have they said about the new marine oils that is so bad? I have seen a lot of ads from there about using the regular RP oils in marine applications over the years. As big a fan of RP as I am I never ran the regular oil in my marine applications as it lacked the additives to be a true marine oil. Now that they are offering a true marine grade oil I am running it and have been happy with it so far.

With all of that said, so what if RP is a big sponsor of that site. We have oil companies, and oil company dealers/reps, that sponsor this forum. Does that mean everything they say here or their ads say is suspect? Maybe Boattest makes so many favorable comments about RP because they like it or it actually is good. Just curious if you ever considered that?

Last edited:
I made a post a while back, not about this new oil but some other RP product:

http://www.boattest.com/Resources/view_news.aspx?NewsID=3439

My comment was about the credibility and neutrality of oil info from boattest.com and the obvious cooperation with RP.
I wouldn't switch oils just based on "Boattest says RP rules, so that must be the best for my boat. They are *the* boat experts.."

I don't bash RP, it's great oils so don't argue with me about the oils. That's not the issue.

Just don't use boattest.com as your single source of oil recommendations. If you did, you would be making your fries in RP too.

(In the nordics, RP is a bit expensive too. Hear this:
1 liter/qt of 10w30 synth: $30)

I made a post a while back, not about this new oil but some other RP product:

http://www.boattest.com/Resources/view_news.aspx?NewsID=3439

My comment was about the credibility and neutrality of oil info from boattest.com and the obvious cooperation with RP.
I wouldn't switch oils just based on "Boattest says RP rules, so that must be the best for my boat. They are *the* boat experts.."

I don't bash RP, it's great oils so don't argue with me about the oils. That's not the issue.

Just don't use boattest.com as your single source of oil recommendations. If you did, you would be making your fries in RP too.

(In the nordics, RP is a bit expensive too. Hear this:
1 liter/qt of 10w30 synth: $30)

I am not arguing with you about anything. Just asking a question.

The Boattest.com article is synthetic vs. conventional oil. I would expect any high quality synthetic to perform better than conventional, no test needed.

AMSOil and RP will both run about $110/case shipped.

There are plenty of boats with flat lifter engines that would be better served with RP or Amsoil versus an ordinary oil used in car engines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back