bigger filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
i know there is a larger capacity filter that is for a ford but it also can be used on a Mopar. it is the equivalent to the PH16/14670. what is the number for it?? would it be the PH8A??

thanks!!!

Length" - Wix -MotorCraft -Fram -Delco

3.8" -51085 -FL842 -PH16 -PF1232

4.3" -51068 -FL300 -PH43 -PF13

5.2" -51515 -FL1A -PH8A -PF2

-7" and up loses filtration efficiancy-

7.0" -51773 -FL299 -PH977A -PF1792

Pick your poison :p

FYI the motorcraft FL1A is usually cheap at wal-marx and is built pretty nice inside. Also the equivalents are easier to find than any other filters on the list.

Don't worry about putting a motor craft on a dodge either.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: dakotasport94
i know there is a larger capacity filter that is for a ford but it also can be used on a Mopar. it is the equivalent to the PH16/14670. what is the number for it?? would it be the PH8A??

thanks!!!

Purolator L30001 cross references as well, more or less identical to the FL1A which is Puro built.

round these parts FRAM is on the ,"NOT a chance in [censored] to use ", they are not the filter once made. Look carefully ... Motorcraft i believe is made by Champion filter, correct me if i am wrong, might have changed, i hear good things about this filter, WIX is made by DAna and is good, also Check out the Napa gold line,Baldwin, Amsoil is also good, listen to your start up noise when you change it, a good filter will usually not have none to little engine noise . Have Fun,

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Farmsteader
Motorcraft i believe is made by Champion filter, correct me if i am wrong ...

Purolator makes Motorcraft oil filters.

I use the Motorcraft FL-1A or Fram PH8A size filter on my 96 Dodge 1500 5.9 that also calls for the PH-16 size filter. I have used that same size filter on an 1988 F250, 1972 F250, 1983 Mustang Gt and even a Ford tractor for the 1950's.

The PH8 fit the old Volvo pushrod and OHC 4 cylinder engines which were OEM with a PH 16. They could fit the SAAB 8V engines but they were too long.

Farmsteader, I am not pushing Fram OCOD's though I have had no issues with them in use.

They just make a handy reference, especially if you plug them into the Wix cross-refence table.

The Motorcraft FL-1A is the best value for an oversize filter in that application IMO. The Puro L3001 is very similar but does not have a thread end bypass, so I'd rather have the Motorcraft since both Ford and Chrysler think the thread end bypass is important enough to spec it for their branded filters there must be good reason.

My buddy and I both use the Motorcrafts on our Jeeps and there is no chemical reaction!
smile.gif
Putting a Motorcraft on a Chevy might be too much though hah hah.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
The Motorcraft FL-1A is the best value for an oversize filter in that application IMO. The Puro L3001 is very similar but does not have a thread end bypass, so I'd rather have the Motorcraft since both Ford and Chrysler think the thread end bypass is important enough to spec it for their branded filters there must be good reason.

That interesting, I'll have to try the FL-1A next time, although the L3001 I'm currently running on a 3.3L Caravan seems to be working well.

The reason I was asking is I did try a bigger filter a while back on my 2004 Hemi Ram and I couldn't remember the what size it was..

Now about filters...I had a local shop change the oil and filter on my mothers 3.5 V6 Chrysler 300 and they used a filter(can't remember the brand with Mobil 1) and for the length of 4500 miles it was on there it knocked and clattered every time it was started....now as soon as I put a Mopar filter back on it...total quietness...

Personally I use a Wix 51515 filter. Excellent filtration an of course more filtering media. I have used the PH8A from Fram without any issue simply because I found them on clearance at my local wal-Mart for $0.94, but I wouldn;t let it run past 5000km.

Originally Posted By: dakotasport94

thanks!!!

A PH8A/FL1 will spin right on to replace the usual Chrysler/Jeep-spec PH16. (Also a common swap on Mopar turbo 2.2's.) It is larger. SOME applicatiuons may have problems with clearance...offhand, it JUST fit on my Shelby Charger.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back