To 10W-60 or not to 10W-60, that is the question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I run that VR-1 conventional 20W-50 in my Harleys with 4k OCIs and it holds grade very well.

The Goose also has a separate crankcase, transmission, and final drive and yes, a dry clutch.

The original manufacturer's recommendation was for 5W-40. A TSB came out a couple years later and recommended 10W-60.

The bike does have a factory oil cooler and the fact that both cylinders stick out the side (instead of behind one another) makes me think that cooling would be more efficient than a typical v-twin.

MG recommends 6,250 mile OCI's and AGIP lubricants for everything. ENI is the parent company and they are Italian-owned, with a large part being owned by the Italian Government. I'm guessing that this has at least a small part to do with the recommendation.

Lastly - I'm cheap. When they were clearing out the stock of "SM" rated VR-1 at $2.29 a quart...... yes, I picked up 8 cases. I admit it, I'm a hoarder.

sick.gif

I have the same bike - black, with 35,000km now. Very comfortable tourer.

During dealer servicing, they used Motul 15w-50 or 10w-50 (that's on the invoice). I'm now using Penrite 15w-60. I change every 5000km rather than 10,000km.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back