New Cars Are 14% More Efficient Than 4 Years Ago

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: spasm3
i don't see it.

Same here. I've got a 23 old OLDS great MPG on the highway. Though it worth $250, no airbags, ect or added weight. How much fuel/cash I've saved not buying new.

Economy of scales. I never got that Clash 4 clunkers, mentality? Why buy new? When your OBD1 is not even tested anymore!
banana2.gif

OK, I see it.

I sat in the back seat of a new Ford Fiesta yesterday. I could not fit. We are now producing scores of tiny cars, with microscopic engines. Even the mighty Ford Explorer has a 2.0L "Ecoboost" engine. I can't remember a time where cars on American roads were as small as a Smart Car or Fiat 500 or had 4 cylinder engines in a "near luxury" Buick.

I can't find a car big enough for my families needs. That's why I drive a 09 F150 5.4L Super Crew 4x4. Everybody fits, as does the gear. Yes, I grew up with Ford LTD station wagon's.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
OK, I see it.

I sat in the back seat of a new Ford Fiesta yesterday. I could not fit. We are now producing scores of tiny cars, with microscopic engines. Even the mighty Ford Explorer has a 2.0L "Ecoboost" engine. I can't remember a time where cars on American roads were as small as a Smart Car or Fiat 500 or had 4 cylinder engines in a "near luxury" Buick.

The times they are a changin...

OK, I see it.

I can't find a car big enough for my families needs. That's why I drive a 09 F150 5.4L Super Crew 4x4. Everybody fits, as does the gear. Yes, I grew up with Ford LTD station wagon's.

I think most people see the opposite trend happening - cars getting bigger and heavier over time.
d2bfa5cce2a63fe7ffc054a586d8805d.jpg

There have always been small cars, and there have always been large cars - nobody's forcing you to get a Fiesta when you want a Suburban.

Originally Posted By: NateDN10

There have always been small cars, and there have always been large cars - nobody's forcing you to get a Fiesta when you want a Suburban.

Well said. Now, there is a reality to the ridiculousness of stuff that people cart along - just looking at ourselves and our friends going on a trip versus how we packed going on a trip growing up. Much more stuff. Add a kid in the mix and all the safety gear turns a big vehicle into a small one.

So much of this truly is apples to oranges, it is not an easy comparison. Want to get into a head-on with a semi in a modern car or a 1970's car?

All that said, what disgusts me is that these smart and tiny cars cant do better than 41 or so MPG EPA despite their size.

The thing in the article that I dont practically see is this, "Increased 2.5 mpg for vehicles with automatic transmissions and 2.8 mpg for vehicles with manual transmissions;", because usually the manufacturers pick more aggressive ratios for the MT, which stupidly gives them slightly lower MPGs.

Originally Posted By: oppirs
How much fuel/cash I've saved not buying new.

Economy of scales. I never got that Clash 4 clunkers, mentality? Why buy new? When your OBD1 is not even tested anymore!
banana2.gif

There will always be a market for new cars. Your comment is apples to oranges. Depreciation does not equal economy/efficiency on a normalized basis for size-equivalent vehicles.

Depreciation is another piece of the picture.

6+ speed automatics and broadened use of CVT, spec 5w20, taller gearing, better tire technology, better tuning or Direct Injection it all makes sense.

The MPG offered IMHO is decent now given the nice increase in vehicle size/safety/comfort. They sell some higher MPG versions but people don't buy them(yet) in mass.

My current 4 banger is bigger, heavier, more powerful, more comfortable, faster, handles better, stops better AND gets better fuel economy than 2 of my previous V8s (one carb'd 1978 and one fuel injected 1985).

There's nothing like a good depression and anxiety about the future to make people go out and buy economy cars.

I think most people see the opposite trend happening - cars getting bigger and heavier over time.

Jalopnik's chart seems to track along the same lines as increases in size/weight of an average American over the years. Between 1960 and 2002, an average American has gained over 24 lbs and is also a few inches taller. Bigger people need bigger cars.
smile.gif

And as we know, increased weight leads to higher fuel consumption.
smile.gif

Weight Gain Of U.S. Drivers Has Increased Nation's Fuel Consumption

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Jalopnik's chart seems to track along the same lines as increases in size/weight of an average American over the years. Between 1960 and 2002, an average American has gained over 24 lbs and is also a few inches taller. Bigger people need bigger cars.
smile.gif

And as we know, increased weight leads to higher fuel consumption.
smile.gif

Weight Gain Of U.S. Drivers Has Increased Nation's Fuel Consumption

Cars get bigger largely due to crash test performance. Bigger cars have bigger crumple zones.

Lots of people demand a bigger car for survivability.

OK, I see it.

The original poster said over the last 4 years. The graph shows size of vehicles over last 30 years. A 2008 model year car weighs very close to a 2012 model. Some models are using lighter materials and the newer cars are reversing the trend of gaining weight. Add to that smaller engines, DI, more transmision gears etc and I see this a being true.

Originally Posted By: oppirs
Originally Posted By: spasm3
i don't see it.

Same here. I've got a 23 old OLDS great MPG on the highway. Though it worth $250, no airbags, ect or added weight. How much fuel/cash I've saved not buying new.

banana2.gif

2002 GMC Sierra 4x4 Z71
1989 Olds Cutlass Supreme SL
1989 Cadillac DeVille
1986 HD FLHTC
1975 MGB
1996 Honda TRX400FW Foreman 400

Dang! Where do you park all of those cars??

Last edited:
OK, I see it.

Not yet......give it time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back