2011 Toyota RAV4 - 4cyl - Recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Factory fill is 5w-20 dino. Manual specifies 5w-20 or 0w-20. I typically run Synthetic in most of my vehicles. With the RAV4, OCI's are 5000 miles or 6mo regardless of which oil I run. Lot's of short trips and only average between 800 and 1000 a month on it. Cold here in winter (single digits at times) hot in summer (80's and 90's). I would like to go ahead and run the 0w-20 synthetic but feel it may be overkill with the 5000 mile OCI's required to maintain my warranty. What do you think? Dino or Synthetic? Maybe a Synthetic blend? I do NOT plan or desire to extend my OCI's.

Last edited:
You're gonna get recommendations for Toyota 0W-20 and Mobil 1 0W-20.

I could recommend Motorcraft 5W-20, but it'll get drowned out by those other recommendations.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
You're gonna get recommendations for Toyota 0W-20 and Mobil 1 0W-20.

I could recommend Motorcraft 5W-20, but it'll get drowned out by those other recommendations.
grin2.gif

Haha. In all honesty, that would be the best way to go, any dino 5w20 will do fine in that weather, and in that engine, no need to go syn. If you wanted you could go 0w20 in the winter, and back to 5w20 in the spring

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
That's what I use in my sister's 2008 RAV4 4-cyl.

Unless the OP has some especially severe driving conditions, Toyota 0W-20 would be massive overkill for 5,000 miles.

I have the V-6 RAV with the same 5,000 mile/6 month restriction. Dino oil is the way I decided to go. Sometimes the oil only has 200 miles on it but has to be dumped to maintain warranty. For me it would just be plain foolish to waste the money on synthetic.

In your case Motorcraft 5W20 be a great choice. It's an excellent oil as proven here countless times and still reasonably priced.

Do those use the 2.5L? I know the 2.4 in my Scion seems pretty happy on PYB 5w-20, but I am going to give Motorcraft a try next oil change just to see which one I like better. They are both priced with in under a $1 of each other at my local walmart. If you do decide to go synthetic, the Toyota 0w-20 seems to be a great oil and is reasonably priced at most dealerships.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: RTexasF
I have the V-6 RAV with the same 5,000 mile/6 month restriction. Dino oil is the way I decided to go. Sometimes the oil only has 200 miles on it but has to be dumped to maintain warranty. For me it would just be plain foolish to waste the money on synthetic.

In your case Motorcraft 5W20 be a great choice. It's an excellent oil as proven here countless times and still reasonably priced.

Wait a minute.....what?

Thanks for the reply's. I tend to agree that the 5000 OCI's would mean overkill for synthetic which is why I asked the question. Toyota will cover my first 2yrs / 25k miles worth of oil changes or free using the 5w-20 dino so I think I will go that route. Any thoughts on running a 5w-20 synthetic blend? Any advantages or just stick with a quality 5w-20 dino? Someone asked about the engine..this is what it has 2.5-Liter DOHC 16-Valve 4-Cylinder with Dual VVT-i, 179 hp @ 6000 rpm/172 lb.-ft. @ 4000 rpm. I will rule out full syn due to the short OCI's.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: NWnative
Thanks for the reply's. I tend to agree that the 5000 OCI's would mean overkill for synthetic which is why I asked the question. Toyota will cover my first 2yrs / 25k miles worth of oil changes or free using the 5w-20 dino so I think I will go that route. Any thoughts on running a 5w-20 synthetic blend? Any advantages or just stick with a quality 5w-20 dino? Someone asked about the engine..this is what it has 2.5-Liter DOHC 16-Valve 4-Cylinder with Dual VVT-i, 179 hp @ 6000 rpm/172 lb.-ft. @ 4000 rpm. I will rule out full syn due to the short OCI's.

The Toyota 0W-20 is unequalled in terms lubrication efficiency.
Just the fuel savings alone will more than cover the slightly higher cost over a 5W-20 dino.
It's false economy to use anything else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back