Winter Tires 4 or 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hear a lot of people put 2 winter tires on there drive axle. I also hear that you should always put 4 on a car for better handling. I'm going ahead and putting 4 tires on my car, as I have a RWD vehicle and I don't want to have all the traction in the back and unresponsive stearing in the front..What are your Opinions on this matter?

If you're going to get two, don't put them on the drive axle. Then you'll get stuck before you do a 180.

The biggest difference I've found between snows and all seasons is that snows actually TURN and have lateral friction. All seasons will get you moving but then when you turn the wheel you understeer and head rapidly toward immovable objects.

IOW, all the defensive (and offensive) driving maneuvers go a lot better with snows. All seasons will check out on you at the worst possible moment.

insurance companies made tireshops liable for legal consequences if they help customers put on 2 winter tires instead of 4. That has been a rather "dicey" issues here due to hilly terrain and too many ijiots driving.

Q.

Throw caution to the wind - just get one.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Quest

insurance companies made tireshops liable for legal consequences if they help customers put on 2 winter tires instead of 4. That has been a rather "dicey" issues here due to hilly terrain and too many ijiots driving.

Q.

I have heard that for studs only in the front, but not otherwise.

4 is best.

If you have a RWD application, running snows in the rear only is not the end of the world, but not ideal either.

We more or less did that in our work fleet with agressive tires (usually an AT tire) on the rear axle of 2WD pickup trucks with a highway tire mounted in front.

On a FWD, 4 snow tires only.

Twenty years ago or so winter tires did not have such a major difference in traction vs all-seasons. So having two winter tires installed did not throw the balance of a vehicle off during stops and turns as much as today.

Winter tire technology is has improved vastly in the last twenty years and the difference is significant. So four tires is best.

Old school thinking has a hard time dying so folks still do what they know.

You'd have to be pretty cheap to only use two winter tires around here. That said, for RWD, I'd greatly prefer two winter tires over four all-seasons.

The wife's cousin learned her lesson about snows on the fronts-only of the FWD car. In a corner with an icy patch she did pinwheels in traffic. Didn't hit anything due to dumb luck.

As well said above, snows on the fronts of a RWD car (in addition to snows on the rear) greatly helps braking and cornering.

I put 4 snows on our FWD car and the RWD/4WD pickup. Works great on ice as well as deep snow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back