Dealership overfilled ls2 engine oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,

Here in aus i have a HSV/Holden GTS 6.0litre with an LS2 motor, handbook states it takes 8.3 litres of oil.

Took it to the service centre yesterday for its first oil change since i bought it a couple of months ago, got home and realised they'd overfilled it by a bit under 10mm on the dipstick.

I called them back and spoke to the manager who said its nothing to worry about at all, he said that 10mm over is such a small amount on the dipstick, its nothing to worry about, and not worth draining some out myself, or brining it back.

Anyone here think otherwise?

While its never a good idea to overfill a motor if its only 10mm over the full mark I wouldn't worry about it at all. If your ls2 is like the majority of them it will probably consume a little oil anyways

Sorry..I'm basing that off of the dipstick on my ls3..10mm would be about 1/4qt..maybe slighty more

10mm above full on the dip stick seems like quite a bit to me. I am always worried about foaming when the engine is overfilled so I personally would probably take the filter off and let some drain out. Most people will probably say its fine and it may be, but it's just not cool when you have a very expensive engine.

The manager from the service centre told me it was only a couple hundred ml's, sorry not too sure what that is in ounce's.

I think i'll just leave it as is and keep and eye and ear out for anything out of the ordinary, im having a catch can fitted this week so that may help get rid of some excess oil...

With the Ls1 it used to be a common practice while auto crossing to over fill them .50-1qt...this would help with scavenging during high speeds...but whatever man do what makes you comfortable

Originally Posted By: Travis99LS1
With the Ls1 it used to be a common practice while auto crossing to over fill them .50-1qt...this would help with scavenging during high speeds...but whatever man do what makes you comfortable

I've been overfilling my LS1 by a full quart for the last 7 years of daily driving and almost 100,000 miles later it's still running perfectly.

Originally Posted By: Patman

I've been overfilling my LS1 by a full quart for the last 7 years of daily driving and almost 100,000 miles later it's still running perfectly.

holy [censored].

They generally put the "max" line for engine oil at almost the minimum and engine should have under normal operations, so that when someone over fills it by .5qt they are still good.

I ran my 99 3.4L grand am at 5 quarts instead of the 4.5 they said to put in there and at nearly 150k it never skipped a beat, but it was modified..

Last edited by a moderator:
So it ended up getting the better of me, and i drained a bit out through the sump plug, wasnt messy at all, quite easy actually.

Oil now sits dead on the full line, strange how something so small made me feel so much better.

I hate cars and the anxiety they give me trying to take so much care of them lol

First, read what PATMAN said. This should attenuate any fears you have.

But we do not know exactly how much was put in your car.
And dipsticks are not certified atomic measuring devices.
Who knows if it is right or wrong?

Originally Posted By: SHADO

I hate cars and the anxiety they give me trying to take so much care of them lol

Tell me about it!! hah

Really with most cars if you over fill with an extra 1/2 qt or so it isn't going to make any difference at all and will not do any damage to the engine. Another poster was correct when he said that most car companies design "slop" into the dipstick expecting the garage monkey to overfill a bit.

Now when you're talking over a quart say maybe 1.5 qts you probably are risking some issues including failing seals and damaged catalytic converters and other emissions equipment like O2 sensors as well.

Originally Posted By: Patman

Same here, but for almost 12 years and ~140K miles. (But I do have an air/oil separator now.
wink.gif
)

Yep im sure there would of been a 99% chance that nothing would of happened, but why risk that 1% for something that took me literally 15 minutes - and helped me regain my sanity lol

Its the strangest thing, the moment i checked the dipstick and saw it level, i felt a sudden relief.

These cars will be the end of me...

The other week I had to add car to my burner. I usually add a quart after driving Friday, but this time I added one day early on Thursday. Well, that morning as I gave it some pedal and got over 3k rpm the check engine light started flashing as I was doing this. Never happened again, but my SES light is on half of the time.

Back in the day I misread the sump capacity on a RX7 as 6 quarts instead of 4.5. Ran it a few days like that until sense got the better of me. Ran the same either way. Maybe some cars are more sensitive to it than others.

My LS1 calls for 5.5qt. I've used the full 6 qts with no ill effects for a number of years. When the engine is started and begins sucking up oil, I don't think the fraction of an inch that 1/2 qt over will increase the sump depth will be any trouble.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back