Oil recommendation - 2010 Mustang GT 4.6L ???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Ford, Honda, Toyota, and Chrysler all have to warranty their engines. Big gamble if the oil is in fact inferior, in fact they'd probably be out of business by now with warranty claims because 20 grade oil has been use for quite a while now.

Not "inferior", but a grade according to a Ford powertrain engineer - that was never rumored to be disgruntled but rather left for a high paying job in NASCAR - lead to higher wear observed in post OEM durability testing tear downs. Not a UOA, but actual comparative tear downs. Also note the he didn't mention GRENADED engines on 5W-20, simply more wear.

Does a manufacturer who was hounded by environmentalists in the late 90s-early 2000s (over the Excursion aka "Valdez") sacrificing potential engine life beyond 150K for god only knows how much of a CO2 reduction over all of the 5W-20 rec'd vehicles produced and sold over that last 10 years and potential CAFE credits really shock you? Really?

Of note, OEM durability tests are equivalent to ~150,000 miles.

Quote:
Police are using it in CV Cruisers all over the USA, we would have heard of police cars blowing up by the hundreds by now. Also not to beat a dead horse, if the application calls for a "thicker" oil, they do recommend it as well.

And how are we supposed to hear about it? Most police agencies that toast an engine attribute it to extreme use or a hot shoe officer and rarely investigate the cause, they simply use their hook up at the local dealer to get a reman'd long-block to put the car back on the streets as quick as possible. How do we know a police cruiser that blew its engine at 150,000 miles wouldn't have gone 250,000 on 5W-30? We can play the "what if" games all day but nowhere does a lack of evidence stand in for evidence. This is exactly what the "where are the blown up 5W-20 engines" is asking of us. It's a pointless tactic useful on a message board but nowhere else.

I will note that I've seen more wrist pin issues on high mileage Modulars since the 5W-20 recommendation came about. I have no proof or suspicion that 5W-20 is the cause, but since we're using anecdotal non-evidence as evidence...

Originally Posted By: cheetahdriver

The thick oil guys need to get some "Just for Men", their gray is showing...

Borrowing one of my favoriae lines - "Now that's funny right there, I'll tell you what."

I agree with the posters that say the 5w20 oem spec is mostly for the oem to meet CAFE. Additionally, 5w20 is the only weight that ford uses - they save a lot of money by only having one weight to deal with cradle to grave in their business. And the amount of problems from consumers using the 5w20 vs heavier oil is less than the costs of doing otherwise. Mustangs that are not thrashed too much will probably be fine for their life with 5w20. But, as was also mentioned, most Mustangs are thrashed and modded, as mine is. So, I subscribe to the 5w30 recommendation.

Originally Posted By: kballowe
1. 2010 Ford Mustang GT 4.6L V-8 315 hp (6 qt capacity)
2. Owner's manual recommends 5W-20
3. Live in East Central Missouri
4. Car is driven a couple times a year on long trips but the rest of the mileage is short trips (less than 25 miles). This car is occasionally driven hard.

Purchased in May 2010 and currently has 4,xxx miles on the odometer. I'm going to guess the annual mileage is going to be somewhere around 6,000.

Oil changed at 1K and at 3k with Motorcraft 5W-20 synthetic blend and a Motorcraft filter.

Oil and OCI suggestions, please.

Thanks

kballowe,

Sounds like your doing fine as is. If it were my car in your situation I'd change it every 6 months/twice per year and have fun driving it when you feel. In California where I live my Durango is driven about the same miles as you do BUT because of my climate I drive and do my OCI every 3K or according to my manual for severe conditions.

Durango

Originally Posted By: almost_heaven
I agree with the posters that say the 5w20 oem spec is mostly for the oem to meet CAFE. Additionally, 5w20 is the only weight that ford uses - they save a lot of money by only having one weight to deal with cradle to grave in their business.

5W20 is not the only oil Ford uses. The 05-09 V6 Mustangs took 5W30 and the GT500 Mustangs and Boss 302 Mustangs take 5W50. This is enough to confuse any oil tech.

If I were lucky enough to have a nice 2010 Mustang GT 4.6,
I, too, would feed it a syn 5w20.....REDLINE 5w20 !!!
Love your car, not your warranty
49.gif

What does the owners manual recommend? That is a good choice. To pick a brand ,,, how about Motorcraft oil and filters.

Originally Posted By: Nickdfresh
I'd just use a top shelf synthetic 0/5W-20 like Mobil 1/Castrol Edge/SOPUS and call it a day. I mean, the car has a six quart sump, does anyone really think an XW-20 is going to break down and cause anymore wear than a 30 or 40 weight?
Does the engine require syn? Will the engine be run on the street hard enough and long enough to need the "extra " upper temp performance of the syn oils.

Originally Posted By: SIXSPEED
Originally Posted By: almost_heaven
I agree with the posters that say the 5w20 oem spec is mostly for the oem to meet CAFE. Additionally, 5w20 is the only weight that ford uses - they save a lot of money by only having one weight to deal with cradle to grave in their business.

5W20 is not the only oil Ford uses. The 05-09 V6 Mustangs took 5W30 and the GT500 Mustangs and Boss 302 Mustangs take 5W50. This is enough to confuse any oil tech.

I didn't know that. But, my nephew used to work at a ford dealer and he said everyone just pulled their oil from the universal supply in the overhead hoses, which was 5w20. But, that also probably isn't true everywhere.

Originally Posted By: SIXSPEED

Nah, I've got it all figured out. Hehe!

10W-40 in the Shelby baby!
grin.gif

I'm not a big fan of Xw20s, but both of my cars call for 5w30 so I typically run that or a light Xw40 at the most. The 20 can't be that bad if you're still getting proper oil pressure. I know it takes an aftermarket gauge to monitor that since Ford uses a "dummy" gauge even on the new 5.0 GTs. My GTO just has a dummy light, but I installed an aftermarket gauge for piece of mind.

To all of you who know better than Ford which oil to use in a 2010 Ford Mustang GT 4.6L V-8:

You have provided hearsay and opinion as to why 5W-20 oil is the wrong oil. I challenge you to provide meaningful data to substantiate your claim.

What Jim-Bob or Billy-Ray said is not data; it's hearsay.

What you have "proven to yourself" is not data, its opinion.

Does anyone have any DATA to substantiate a claim that 5W-20 is not the best oil for this application?

Last edited:
"best" is somewhat subjective. Or, perhaps, it's too general of a word.

For some, good gas mileage is the top priority. For others, high-RPM (track day) protection is most important. And for others, it may be something as simple as price per quart.

Ben99GT said:
[Of note, OEM durability tests are equivalent to ~150,000 miles.

You have it, Ben.
Industry standard design life for passenger vehicles is 150K.
I have a relative who is an engineer with a major automotive manufacturer, and he has confirmed this.
Therefore, while I have no doubt that a 30 or a 40 would cause less wear than a 20, it makes no difference.
Either way, the engine will get well past 150K, probably to 200K, in decent running shape.
WRT what kills a car, it is more likely to be the slushbox, since the vast majority of cars have been so equipped for some time now.
The automatic costs more to replace than does the engine in any car I've ever seen, and the engine will likely be running just fine on the 5W-20 it's had since new when the automatic finally gives up.
Even if the tranny endures, the rest of the car simply wears and ages out.
Unless one wanted to go through the entire suspension, for example, a typical fifteen yo 200K car is done.

close tolerance is also a good reason to use 5w20 it gets to the center of the bearings faster also ans flows better and because of that runs cooler

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
close tolerance is also a good reason to use 5w20 it gets to the center of the bearings faster also ans flows better and because of that runs cooler

I think you mean clearance.... And the 5w20 spec modulars are no tighter than the ones that spec'd 5w30 in the 90's. And I'd be surprised if the ones that spec 5w50 are looser.

I've Been running Motorcraft 5w20 syn blend and FL-820s filters since the first Oil change on my 2005 Mustang GT (4.6L). 84900 miles and no oil burning or use and it purrs like a kitten. This engine has the VVT so I think its important to keep the correct grade of oil so I was told. Good stuff!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back