2011 Chevrolet Avalanche LTZ 4WD

Status
Not open for further replies.

dla

I purchased a new 2011 Chevrolet Avalanche LTZ 4WD and I'm looking for an oil recommendation and an oil change interval recommendation.

My daily commute to work is 37 miles each way, part highway, part stop and go driving taking about an 1 hour total travel time. The engine is the 5.3 L flex fuel capable variant with Active Fuel Management that is also found in Silverados, Tahoes and Suburbans. The vehicle does have the HD tow package with includes increased cooling capacity and oil and trans coolers. The vehicle is mainly used as daily commuter.

I'll be changing the oil myself using Dexos approved QSUD or Penz Plat in a 5W-30 and purolator pureone PL12222 going about 5,000 to 6,000 miles per oil change or when OLM hits 40%.

I want to error on the side of caution because the 5.3 engines with AFM seem to develope oil consumptions issues as they age from what i've read on other forums. My intent is to keep the vehicle as long at possible.

Any suggestions and feedback is greatly appreciated.

I'd go with your plan of Platinum every 6k. Get analysis done on the 3rd change once things have broken in a bit and see where that stands.

Beware of "forum amplification". Thats when a small number of users wail and scream a lot and make something look like a HUGE problem.

Follow the OLM. Use a good name brand synth in the correct weight per the owners manual. There. You're good to go.

Next problem.

I had an 04 Avalanche with the 5.3. I ran the OLM to 0% and UOA'd a few times. The reports were very good on garden variety 5w-30.

I would stick with your 5/6K oil changes and Pennz Plat
thumbsup2.gif

I have an 07 Avalanche Z71 4x4 with the same engine. I used dealer fill (probably dino oil) until about 30,000 miles and began using 5w-30 Synthetic. I have not had any oil usage problems and am at 64,000 miles now. I am using M1 EP and have used PU and Amsoil before, all performed fine and engine has always nice and smooth.

Mine did not come with HD tow package, so I added the stock transmission cooler and used Amsoil low viscosity transmission fluid per Amsoil specs. I have nice smooth and firm shifts now and rarely see temps over 170 as opposed to 210-220 before. I did this at 50,000 miles.

Hope you love your truck as much as I do mine.

Originally Posted By: steve20
sounds like you'll be stopping every other day for gas

It's actually not that bad. With mixed driving I'm getting about 17.5 MPG. Not bad considering I got it with on 4 miles on the odometer and I've put about 1,700 on it so far. It's just starting to break in.

A couple weeks after getting it we took at 300 mile road trip (all highway) and average 22 MPG.

Of course, with a 31.5 gallon gas tank I try not to let it go past a 1/2 before I fill up. Mainly because I hate the way the gas pumps around here all cut off once you hit $75.00 in sales.

It's amazing the difference this 6 speed and the AFM management makes in these large vehicles.

17.5 MPG? Not bad at all you're about on par with my Ranger and you have a much larger truck. Mind you, the 4.0L Rangers are known for their terrible city mileage and mediocre highway mileage.

But still, not too bad at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back