coolant time for the asian car fleet

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have in my group of cars that i service.

96 camry LE
03 Lancer OZ Rally
05 G35x
98 Maxima GLE

All are using green prestone for the past years, aside from the infiniti, never did a flush. All cars had a flush done about 1-2 years ago.

With the new ZEX coolant out, i haven't priced it yet at my local napa but would it be best to switch over to that? I assume/heard its pink/red.

How does one flush this out, since i run water in the system and its a 50/50 mix. I dont believe in wasting coolant like that. Should i just stick with w/e green is on sale when i do it. I normally pick up yellow prestone bottles but i've heard about peak lifetime being good.

Last time i went i got yellow prestone " any make/model extended life " haven't noticed an issue.

Last edited:
I don't know if using other coolants than what is called for actually hurts the cooling system. I have used anything and everything in "everything" that I own and never an issue.

I'm currently using PEAK All Makes/Models with good success in my '04 Altima and daughters '06 Mazda3. I just bought 2 gal's of 50/50 mix of PEAK Global Life Time and haven't used it yet.

Wifes Lexus is still on Toyota RED(2 D&F's in 10 yrs and ready for another).

The only cooling systems issues(head gasket/intake manifold gasket) that I have ever had, were with engines that were known for these issues. And the only time I have ever replaced a radiator is when it just plain rotted away(vehicle into it's teens). Never a heater core or T-Stat issue.

the 96 camry had a radiator leak/bust like the 1st week i bought it. since then had a T-stat fail now at 120k.

the lancer bought new, needed a T-Stat near 55k on OEM coolant, I did a drain fill then and then at 61k did a timing belt and a drain and fill again. Now at 70k.

Maxima bought at 42k, did a drain and fill at 60k along with other maintence. Had a T-stat fail near 90k, replaced and drain/fill then and now at 130k.

I dont know if i would mix T-stat failure with coolant. But when i replaced the coolant, i get the prestone stuff and just do a drain and fill. All T-stat failures were due to them being stuck in the closed position. Doesn't bother me too much because parts are normally $30 and easy to get to.

I have been using Peak Global Lifetime in everything lately.
Zerex is also good stuff.
I don't care for Prestone, you pay for a lot of marketing and in the past their inhibitor packages left a lot to be desired.
Their all makes/models is a Dex clone, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but many people shy away for that reason.

Originally Posted By: cronk
I have been using Peak Global Lifetime in everything lately.
Zerex is also good stuff.
I don't care for Prestone, you pay for a lot of marketing and in the past their inhibitor packages left a lot to be desired.
Their all makes/models is a Dex clone, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but many people shy away for that reason.

i like asking stuff on this board because most people here are VERY detailed about the stuff they put in their cars and i love that. They back everything up. I want to switch to Zerex but i dont know how to..

I dont want to drain and fill with this stuff, (unless it mixes well) green + pink will look like [censored] in color. Maybe once i finish up my prestone i'll move over to Peak.

Prestone antifreeze is like Fram oil filter, they are everywhere. Peak Global Lifetime and Zerex Asian Formula is like Pure1, they are hard to find at local stores.

well since i have about 12 pure1 filters in my garage right now... i know what i'll be buying next.

Peak VS Zerex Asian... how do they differ.

It's just a techie little Hydrometer, like has been used to test anti-freeze for how low it will protect your engine. Instructions with the package will tell you how to use it. It's ridiculously simple. I may buy one myself. I've used much more complicated ones in years past.

Mainly, if your green Anti-Freeze is still nice and bright green it's still good. When it looses its luster and starts turning brown, it's time for a drain, flush and refill with new Anti-Freeze.

If you're driving a car that's still under warranty, check with your Owners Manual, in the maintenance section, for when to replace your coolant. Preserving your engine warranty, may depend on it.

With my 2009 Suzuki SX4, the maintenance schedule calls for Coolant change at 30k miles. It WILL be changed on schedule.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bowlofturtle
cronk said:
........ I want to switch to Zerex but i dont know how to..

Do a flush at least twice with water
Do a flush with the Zerex Asian
Do a final fill with the Zerex Asian
Check the freezing point with a coolant refractometer

The process would be simpler, less wasteful, and cheaper if Zerex offered the Asian Formula as a concentrate.

Peak VS Zerex Asian... how do they differ.

Zerex Asian has phosphates which most Asian makers call for while PG does not.

All are using green prestone for the past years, aside from the infiniti, never did a flush. All cars had a flush done about 1-2 years ago.

The green all make prestone is fine, if you are doing changes every 2 years. The purpose of the more exotic fluids is to extend the flush interval to 5 years or more.

If I was you I would simply do a drain and refill with 50/50 green.

You already have green in there now. Plus you have done a recent flush - there is no need to flush again.

Flushing with fresh water will give you an uncertain mixture due to some of the mix being trapped in the engine. I don't recommend that you do a flush.

A drain and refill will refresh the additives even though you are not doing a complete change.

I have been doing this for many years on my 1994 Accord and 2000 Toyota Sienna, since new, with no issues so far. Both still have original rad and water pump.

If you were starting with a newer vehicle, that had never been changed, I would recommend sticking to OEM coolant and OEM recommended intervals.

I just did a Zerex Asian drain and fill on my Vibe a month ago. Basically opened up the radiator pet-cock and drained out a gallon, replaced the gallon, drove around and repeated this with 3 gallons of it.

9 bucks a quart at your local NAPA.

Should i just stick with w/e green is on sale when i do it. I normally pick up yellow prestone bottles but i've heard about peak lifetime being good.

Last time i went i got yellow prestone " any make/model extended life " haven't noticed an issue.

In 2006 the National Advertising Division of the Council of Better Business Bureaus found that Honeywell's claim that Prestone can be used in vehicles of "all makes, all models" was not substantiated. NAD further found that Honeywell's claim that Prestone is compatible with any antifreeze/coolant was not substantiated and rejected Honeywell's appeal both of these findings.

I think anyone using that stuff except in a vehicle originally fitted with DexCool or one of the European OATs that is comparable to DexCool is playing Russian Roulette with their cooling system and engine.

If you're looking for one antifreeze that works in multiple vehicles, G-05 which is the Mercedes, Chrysler, and Ford OEM coolant, is pretty decent. It doesn't do anything bad, is low in silicates, and is compatible with both iron and aluminum in a mixed fleet.

Quote:
.........In 2006 the National Advertising Division of the Council of Better Business Bureaus found that Honeywell's claim that Prestone can be used in vehicles of "all makes, all models" was not substantiated. NAD further found that Honeywell's claim that Prestone is compatible with any antifreeze/coolant was not substantiated and rejected Honeywell's appeal both of these findings...................

Very interesting! Do you know if there was a similar action against Peak (aka Old World Industries)?

Last edited:
I got Toyota Red in an older Lexus, and Toyota Pink in a Sienna and Prius. I've heard the newer SLLC pink isn't friendly to brass, copper and lead solder since it's lacking triazole to protect those parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back