Any proven plastic gas tank repair products?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have taken possession of a older Ariens riding mower, and the nipple from the gas tank has snapped off. Has anyone ever tried to repair something like this as a replacement is next to impossible to get my hands on. The tank is plastic and I' wondering if getting a tank from some other brand or model and adapting it is my only option.

I can tell you what DID NOT work for me....JB Weld. I used in successfully in patching a leaking metal fuel tank, but it never fully adhered to a plastic one.

Originally Posted By: willix
There may be some type of bulkhead fitting you can adapt to the broken off nipple hole if it broke off clean with no spyder cracks.

you need something like this

That's probably your best bet. Something like the filler neck is going to flex every time you use it. Almost none of the repair options will tolerate flexing with out separating. Either that, or adapt a different fuel tank to this tractor.

Joel

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JTK
There may be some type of bulkhead fitting you can adapt to the broken off nipple hole if it broke off clean with no spyder cracks.

That's probably your best bet. Something like the filler neck is going to flex every time you use it. Almost none of the repair options will tolerate flexing with out separating. Either that, or adapt a different fuel tank to this tractor.

Joel
unfortunately I don't have a clue where you can aquire this simple brass fitting with a "o" ring provision. Have you tried to source a new tank?
jackssmallengines

Last edited:
On a car that had a small hole in the tank i used a plastic CD cover cut to fit and plasti-weld. Ghetto - but has been holding for 3 years now.

Bump for this old thread! I found this thread while Googling, actually. I need to do the same thing on a few of my plastic tanks. I'd like to replace them with a metal fitting like that...something that is easy to fit and service. I saw something on the internet that my local hobby shop might have, for small aircraft fuel tanks, but I think this is a better option. Does anyone know where one might could procure something like this?

Originally Posted By: greenaccord02
Last time I had this problem, I ended up using an old soldering iron to melt the parts back together. Nothing sticks plastic to plastic like melted plastic.

This is probably the most reliable fix. The original plastic of the tank is going to hold up better than any sealant.

I think your best option may be a new tank. It doesn't have to be factory original. Lower end Ariens riders still have a basic rectangular gas tank under the hood. I will bet there are plenty of gas tanks that would work in place of the original.

I never had any luck patching or sealing a plastic mower tank. My last attempt was on an older Briggs powered Toro push mower. It has full 'wrap around' tank, top engine shroud. What ever I tried didn't last long at all. Wound up ordering a whole new assembly from a Toro parts counter. It was very reasonable IIRC. This was some years ago. Mom still uses that mower.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back