Using ramps to change oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I was just looking at Advance Auto's site and came across the Blitz RhinoRamps. I've seen them many times of course but never really considered them for oil changes.

I thought the car needed to be on a level surface in order to drain the oil properly/completely.

If you use just one set of ramps on the front end won't you leave old oil in the sump?

Trying to use four of them seems like asking for trouble.

I've been able to crawl under my 1998 F150 and drain the oil, change the filter and lube the zerks just fine. Well, ok, maybe not "just fine", but I "giterdone"!

My wife's new, (to her), 2008 Fusion on the other hand, well, it just ain't gonna happen!
grin.gif

So, what's the story? Can you all enlighten me please?

P.S. My favorite independent shop has told me they charge $10.00 labor and $3.00 shop fee for an oil change if I provide the oil! I think that's a screaming bargain!

It depends on where the drain plug is. If it's toward the back of the pan, ramps are fine. Otherwise, I'd rather do it with the vehicle level.

I figure using ramps may help drain oil if the plug is in the back. Either way, ramps are easier than jacking for me.

Originally Posted By: bornconfuzd
My favorite independent shop has told me they charge $10.00 labor and $3.00 shop fee for an oil change if I provide the oil! I think that's a screaming bargain!

That's a great deal. I think I'd take mup on it, if they don't make you wait too long.

Otherwise, is the oil filter accessible from the top? If so, then considering using an oil extractor. This way you won't have to get under the car at all.

I have a pair and if you have a low front end, the vehicle can have trouble clearing them. You may find the fusion doesn't have enough ground clearance. Also, they are easy to spin the wheels trying to get up which melts the traction bars on the ramps. You also probably will need to block the ramps so they don't slid while you try to climb them.

Truthfully, I used them once and like them when the vehicle is on them. Just don't like the hassle of trying to get a Buick Rendezvous up them. In idle my car wouldn't climb them so I needed to apply some gas. That makes me nervous because they can shoot out and hit the garage wall.

Since no one has said it, I'm going to state the obvious because it always needs to be said in this type of discussion.

***Make sure to use jack stand too when using ramps.****

A second warning - Make sure you remove the jack stand before driving off the ramps. I made that mistake when I got these ramps. Yes, I wasn't paying attention enough and luckily didn't do major damage, but it scared me that I dropped the car.

Oh and Walmart will change oil for $12 and change if you bring in the inputs and go for the no frills $24 service.

Last edited:
Depending on position of the plug. Forward, raise the back wheels....although maybe a pain to get a pan under the front. Rear, raise the front. To the side, that would suck.

Originally Posted By: Letter_K
Since no one has said it, I'm going to state the obvious because it always needs to be said in this type of discussion.

A second warning - Make sure you remove the jack stand before driving off the ramps. I made that mistake when I got these ramps. Yes, I wasn't paying attention enough and luckily didn't do major damage, but it scared me that I dropped the car.

What the heck are you talking about? Ramps are designed to handle the entire weight of the vehicle and are plenty safe if you use them properly. You don't use jackstands with them. Wheelchocks on the axle that's still on the ground, absolutely, but jackstands?

What are you doing, putting the car up on ramps, then jacking it up even further to put jackstands underneath it? You're probably making it more dangerous to be underneath that way. Yikes.

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder

What the heck are you talking about? Ramps are designed to handle the entire weight of the vehicle and are plenty safe if you use them properly. You don't use jackstands with them. Wheelchocks on the axle that's still on the ground, absolutely, but jackstands?

What are you doing, putting the car up on ramps, then jacking it up even further to put jackstands underneath it? You're probably making it more dangerous to be underneath that way. Yikes.

It has been reported several times about the rhino ramps being cracked or instances where the metal ones collapsed. Though very rare it does happen and the jack stands are just an added safety precaution. With your life on the line, it may be worth a few extra minutes. Although, admittedly, i dont use the stands either.

Well, I just went out and looked, to no avail. Can't see anything. I CAN say that the filter is not accessible from the top!
grin.gif
The engine compartment is packed!

The car will have to be lifted in order to locate the plug and the filter. So, at least for the first change it looks like it's going to the shop.

That's not so bad though, really. The car has a 5 year/50000 mile powertrain warranty on it so having the shop record of the change might be a good thing and $12.00 or $13.00 labor/shop fee seems a small price to pay.

I guess I was just looking forward to doing it myself.
laugh.gif

Thanks everyone for your feedback. I'll try and remember to post back after I've had it done the first time, (using oil from my Bitog inspired stash of course), on the outcome and what happens next!

Originally Posted By: jstutz
Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder

It has been reported several times about the rhino ramps being cracked or instances where the metal ones collapsed. Though very rare it does happen and the jack stands are just an added safety precaution. With your life on the line, it may be worth a few extra minutes. Although, admittedly, i dont use the stands either.

Exactly - I'm not saying jack the car up further, keep it on the ramps, but I'm suggesting you put a set of jack stands under the car in case the ramps fail. Always good to have a backup method. The ramps are plastic and even though they are made to hold several thousand pounds, I have heard reports of them cracking. Don't know if it is true, but I wouldn't want to find out the hard way.

When I was younger (teens) I crawled under many cars without jackstand and I'm still here, but doesn't mean I want to do it now.

I use Rhino ramps for everything I can before breaking out the jackstands. I also have a low car and the Rhinos work perfectly. When changing fluids I use the slope of my paved driveway to oppose the incline of the ramps. This means I change my oil by driving down the driveway up onto the ramps. I'm done in no time flat, it's safe and level.

Here's 1 of the 2 I made.

I'm not worried about mine cracking or driving a low vehicle up them..

I just chock the wheels, set the parking brake, and do a shake test. I used to drive with both feet alot, so when I drive onto ramps, I use my left foot to brake and right to give it some gas.

BTW, I have a set of rhino ramps I'll use too. I set mine on a large piece of carpet, ensuring the rear wheels are on the carpet when the front wheels make contact with the ramp. No way will anything slide around.

DSC_1628.jpg

Mike has a beautiful set of ramps, but here's what I did years ago before Rhino ramps were around. 6 pieces 4x4 lumber 33'' long cut on a 45 angle on one end,drill a 3/4 hole 13 inches center from back on each piece,bolt together three pieces with 1/2 threaded rod,washers and nuts. You can use 4 pieces of wood for a wider ramp, a shallower angle for the cut,or maybe some rubber on the bottom so they don't slip. I came up with this design fifteen years ago when my car bottomned out on the steelramps. You simply push the ramps against the tire,back up a foot or so and drive on. I used these ramps on my 06 Milan V6 along with a cap type filter wrench that fits the fl820s perfectly.

The oil filter is in front of the vehicle on tjhe bottom not far back from the grill. A strap type wrench is kinda hard to use so the cap type is better .The motorcraft Fl820s is an excellent filter available at Autozone or Walmart. The cap type wrench which I believe is 93 MM 36 flute has outstanding grip and also availible at Autozone. Oil changes are easy to do on this car!

Hey BigMike! NICE ramps!
laugh.gif

Dan55's ramps sound great too, I might have to give those a whirl!

As to the Motorcraft fl820s, I just picked up 10 of them at Advance Auto using one of their $20.00 off $50.00 purchase codes. Ten filters at $4.99 each, added a 99 cent roll of electrical tape and ended up with 10 filters at $3.00 each. Sweet deal and cheaper than Wally World! Both vehicles use the same filter so they will get used.

Last edited:
I bought the Rhino ramps that are low profile for my 06 Mustang GT. They work great. I actually get a better drain than if the car is level. When I helped my friend change oil on his Shelby GT we had to drive it up on 2x4 blocks first because it is over an inch lower than my GT.

no no no no. DO NOT use ramps. i lost my farther -in- law on ramps. whats your life wroth? $300 floor jack $200 stands. or is your life worth less? if you insist on risking your life, be sure you ALWAYS chock the wheels.

Some newer cars are very difficult to fit jackstands under, they seem geared towards lifts only. There are not good flat spots to stick them. Did the ramps fail or did the car roll off?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back