5K miles, 1996 Nissan pathfinder

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have no idea how many miles were on this oil (I guessed 5K, but I really have no idea) and I don't know what kind of oil it is. My friend passed away a few months ago and left me his estate. Included in it was this Nissan SUV. From this analysis it doesn't look like its worth saving.
frown.gif

NissanOil.jpg

Sorry to hear about your friend. And I agree with the ugly UOA. That engine may need alittle cleaning?

It may still be salvageable, do some 1K oil changes with pennzoil conventional (or any name brand) change filter on each change. Get the cooling system tested and you may be able to restore that engine! I would save my $ and not do any UOA's for at least 3-4 short oil runs.

(Sorry to hear about your friend, he must have been a good guy)

Definitely looks like mobil one was used , as it is obvious with the high iron. I would switch to edge as it has 8x better wear protection then mobil 5w30. Or run a couple of short oil changes maybe you can save it. Compression test is a good idea. Sorry about your friend also, nice of him to leave you his estate

15 year old vehicle,130,000 miles..what did you really expect?
Without knowing how long the oil was in there,I'm thinking you should have changed the oil,then ran a sample.
I bet the oil hasn't been changed in years.
next one will be a huge improvement.

Was this sitting for a long time?

Check all the vacuum lines and plumbing. I don't think the coolant leak is a big issue. I would think that the Pb would be complaining if it were.

Pablo's right - if this were severe coolant ingress, lead would be bad.

I'm betting this truck sat for a loooong period, and most of what you are seeing is rust of iron parts.

Do some short changes of cheap 10W-30 oil, and see how it is doing after that.

i've seen those 'finders bust through 200k, still reliable. use it, run it, short OCIs with any fluid to get it baselined, could be a great ride.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Pablo's right - if this were severe coolant ingress, lead would be bad.

I'm betting this truck sat for a loooong period, and most of what you are seeing is rust of iron parts.

Do some short changes of cheap 10W-30 oil, and see how it is doing after that.

Yes, this truck sat for extended periods (2-3 months) then was driven short distances, then sat again. This oil could be 2-3+ years old.

Those engines were bulletproof. They had no headgasket issues nor any other engine issues. Change the oil out with something like Delo which is on rollback at China-Mart. Run it a 2-3K interval.

Definitely 1000 mile OCI and recheck.
Add a bottle of stop leak to the radiator.

Sabotaged by someone?

If it runs, its worth saving. You can always unload it when it dies. Keep driving.

Time to go through a full battery of maintenance. I bet all the other fluids are original too.

Originally Posted By: finalyzd
Definitely looks like mobil one was used , as it is obvious with the high iron. I would switch to edge as it has 8x better wear protection then mobil 5w30. Or run a couple of short oil changes maybe you can save it. Compression test is a good idea. Sorry about your friend also, nice of him to leave you his estate

Wow

3196671424_70f7766063.jpg

I got a laugh out of the Mobil1 comment.

Engine might produce 10-20 ppm iron in 5k miles.
655/20 or 655/10.....= ~33k-65k miles on this oil. TBN would've been a riot!

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

Wow

What? It's as plain as the nose on your face. Obvious as an invisible elephant in the room. That's his story ..and he's sticking to it
29.gif

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

Wow

What? It's as plain as the nose on your face. Obvious as an invisible elephant in the room. That's his story ..and he's sticking to it
29.gif

Is it bad when you start out reading the post like
crackmeup2.gif
start to
54.gif
and end up
33.gif

Oh, just a slow day on the ticket of the WWE, that's all. Hometown heroes ..hometown villains ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back