Quaker State 5w20 Quality? Factory SaysTo Use It

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since hyundai recommends quaker state i may start to use it what does everyone think I still dont like the loud knocking the 2010 Hyundai 3,5 makes upon start up.. I started up anumber of them and they all sound simular..

I think QSGB is excellent oil, as is just about any name brand SM rated oil these days. No complaints from me the few times I've used it.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
Since hyundai recommends quaker state i may start to use it what does everyone think I still dont like the loud knocking the 2010 Hyundai 3,5 makes upon start up..

Use whatever you want as long as it's in accordance with manufacturer specs. Quaker State is great oil, but if you think the knocking upon start up is caused by it, try something different.

I started up anumber of them and they all sound simular..

Are you saying that all the new ones you started up had the knock? If so, it's unlikely to be problematic and might just be characteristic. But like I said, if you don't like it and think it's the oil, try something different. But keep in mind that the Quaker State used for the factory fill (if that is indeed what was used) is probably not exactly the same as the Quaker State you can buy.

Since hyundai recommends quaker state i may start to use it what does everyone think I still dont like the loud knocking the 2010 Hyundai 3,5 makes upon start up.. I started up anumber of them and they all sound simular..

crazyoildude,

Quaker State oil is a excellent/quality oil to use. I've tried the synthetic version in my 01' Durango V-8 and had no issues what so ever!!!!! If the factory recommends to use it in your Hyundai then rest easy and use it with confidense. I suggest you use the synthetic.

Durango

Last time my parents had their '05 Acura MDX out here, I changed the oil for them and dad brought home 5 quarts of QS 5W-20 and a Fram filter. Both have been in/on the car for a year now (very little driving) and are doing fine.

I recently switched to QS Advanced Durability, it is an excellent oil. It quieted my engine, helped ease a slight vibration I had at idle and the engine just runs and sounds like it is better lubricated now. I also track my MPG on www.fuelly.com and since I changed to QS, I have consistently been getting another 1/2 to 3/4 better MPG.

I don't know about the 5W20, I would think it would be just as good as the QS 10W30 I am using. I probably won't use any other oil from now on; I think QS is that good and made that much of an improvement over the Valvoline and Napa/Carquest oil I had previously used.

Think of it this way.

GM factory fills M1 in the Vette. Vette owners tend to stick with it. Both the owner and GM believe it to be good enough.

Hyundai fills it with QS and it works. Just use what works, and to make it even easier, QS is very cheap to buy($2 less than PYB). It was $11 at Walmart, PYB was $13.50 for a 5qt jug. Good savings for a great oil.

Originally Posted By: Anies
Think of it this way. GM factory fills M1 in the Vette. Vette owners tend to stick with it. Both the owner and GM believe it to be good enough. Hyundai fills it with QS and it works.

I don't disagree. But I also don't believe that GM is filling Covettes (and Cadillacs too) with M1 because M1 is "better" than Pennzoil, Valvoline, Castrol, or Quaker State synthetics. Likewise, I don't believe that Hyundai is filling engines with Quaker State because Quaker State is "better" than Pennzoil, Valvoline, Castrol, or Mobile conventional. Oil companies are offering car companies incentives (in one form or another) to put their name on the oil fill caps.

I am not saying because its "better". I am saying they believe it to be good enough. If mobil 1 was a lesser known/cheaper alternative it would still be used if it were factory fill and recommended.".

Granted Money has a lot to do with it, but if it meets the specs and it works, then use it. QS is a very cheaply priced oil with a great reputation.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
The only incentive is the length of the contract and the price of the oil.

Not necessarily. If it has it on the oil cap, 2 things...

Most drivers will use it for the life of the car.

Name brand recognition (a sort of advertising). Heck, just the idea of a Corvette saying "Only use M1 5w30" on a car in itself is great advertising. Most common people would take this to mean it's some kind of super high performance oil that stands apart from the rest. The thinking would go along the lines of... well, if it's good enough for a Vette, it's going to be awesome in my regular car (which it probably will be). But the point is, it can help sell oil to people. Advertising.

Hyundais can have lifter tick at start up.
A new filter can help. Too thick oil seems to make it worse.
And sometimes, it can happen for no reason for a day after months of fine behaviour.

I've got an 08 Hyundai Santa Fe with the 3.3 V6--I believe the "lifter tick" people refer to is related to the variable valve timing coming up to pressure and adjusting to conditions. . .not really valve tick. . .that's my theory. . .any Hyundai mechanics care to comment on this? I hear this sometimes on start-up, but never any other time.

. . .and getting back to the original topic, I also use QS, but I use the Ultimate Durability full syn--good oil, good price!

Originally Posted By: shpankey
Originally Posted By: Johnny
The only incentive is the length of the contract and the price of the oil.

Not necessarily. If it has it on the oil cap, 2 things...

Most drivers will use it for the life of the car.

Name brand recognition (a sort of advertising). Heck, just the idea of a Corvette saying "Only use M1 5w30" on a car in itself is great advertising. Most common people would take this to mean it's some kind of super high performance oil that stands apart from the rest. The thinking would go along the lines of... well, if it's good enough for a Vette, it's going to be awesome in my regular car (which it probably will be). But the point is, it can help sell oil to people. Advertising.

I was referring to the length of contract and price as a benefit to the manufacture. Heck, any oil company would love to have their name plastered all over the manual and under the hood. We would probably all be shocked at what it cost Shell to have all of the factory workers at Ferrari wear the Shell Pectin on their uniforms.

All this talk of Quaker State has me itching to get it in my Nissan. I have some 5W-30 full synthetic on my shelf ready to go in after another 1500 miles. (That'll be the end of my second 6K OCI using Castrol EDGE 5W-30 which I may send in for a UOA.)

Originally Posted By: barlowc
Originally Posted By: Anies
Think of it this way. GM factory fills M1 in the Vette. Vette owners tend to stick with it. Both the owner and GM believe it to be good enough. Hyundai fills it with QS and it works.

I don't disagree. But I also don't believe that GM is filling Covettes (and Cadillacs too) with M1 because M1 is "better" than Pennzoil, Valvoline, Castrol, or Quaker State synthetics. Likewise, I don't believe that Hyundai is filling engines with Quaker State because Quaker State is "better" than Pennzoil, Valvoline, Castrol, or Mobile conventional. Oil companies are offering car companies incentives (in one form or another) to put their name on the oil fill caps.

^^2nd. My old neigbor`s 1985 Volvo said "Use Only Castrol 20W50" on the oil cap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back