07 lexus rx350 major oil leak!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure if this was hammered to death on here before but it's new to me....
I was out with my parents in their 2007 Lexus RX350 when the fan belt started squeling. Then the A/C kicked off and I could smell oil.
We pulled over and lefted the hood but with all that plastic engine covering we couldn't see anything so I went under the car and oil was running all over the bottom and again with all the plastic coverings I wasn't able to see anything.
Luckly the vehicle comes with a small tool kit and I removed the plastic coverings top and bottom and discovered that the rubber hose on the metal oil feed line that feeds the VViT system on the rear cylinders had a pin hole in it and was spraying oil out and so much had leacked that there was even a fine mist of oil all over the back window. Long story short I added 5 quarts of oil and we drove as close to home as we could but everyone that drove past us was yelling about the smoke coming out of the hood! We pulled over again and opened the hood and smoke just billowed up and out so we checked the oil level again and all 5 quarts was gone. We just called a tow truck and had it towed home and I started to remove the line but it turned out to be a huge ordel.
Called Lexus and they are paying for everything even though we bought the car used and it's out of warranty. The loaner they gave my parents was a 2010 RX and the rubber line is no longer on these engines. it is now all metal the way it should have been all along.

The 2GR-FE oil line failure is a known problem. Toyota knew about it back in 2005. There is a TSB to address the issue. But Toyota has been slow upgrading to an all metal replacement part.

I would've called BP. They have experience with stopping oil leaks and associated clean up.

You were very lucky it did not catch fire.

There is actually an active service campaign to replace the oil hose with an updated part. The campaign applies to Toyota vehicles, but I would assume Lexus has one going right now or will soon.

Originally Posted By: Burt
I would've called BP. They have experience with stopping oil leaks and associated clean up.

crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: brelandt
Not sure if this was hammered to death on here before but it's new to me....
I was out with my parents in their 2007 Lexus RX350 when the fan belt started squeling. Then the A/C kicked off and I could smell oil.
We pulled over and lefted the hood but with all that plastic engine covering we couldn't see anything so I went under the car and oil was running all over the bottom and again with all the plastic coverings I wasn't able to see anything.
Luckly the vehicle comes with a small tool kit and I removed the plastic coverings top and bottom and discovered that the rubber hose on the metal oil feed line that feeds the VViT system on the rear cylinders had a pin hole in it and was spraying oil out and so much had leacked that there was even a fine mist of oil all over the back window. Long story short I added 5 quarts of oil and we drove as close to home as we could but everyone that drove past us was yelling about the smoke coming out of the hood! We pulled over again and opened the hood and smoke just billowed up and out so we checked the oil level again and all 5 quarts was gone. We just called a tow truck and had it towed home and I started to remove the line but it turned out to be a huge ordel.
Called Lexus and they are paying for everything even though we bought the car used and it's out of warranty. The loaner they gave my parents was a 2010 RX and the rubber line is no longer on these engines. it is now all metal the way it should have been all along.

They should let your parents keep the 2010 RX. ;-)

LOL, yes well, we all assumed they would use the "here is a newer and better" loaner car! Sure enough my parents are in LOVE with it along with the whole family. The 2010 is SO much better than the 07 is in every way shape and form! Of course its loaded with every feature I have ever heard of...

hopefully Toyota will start doing a better job with these mistakes. I use to work on aircrafts and by just looking at that rubber hose set-up they had my 8 year niece could tell you that it wasnt going to last....

On the flip side their old car a 2000 Avalon has well over 130K and has never ever had a single issue. Where has the old toyota designs gone?

Toyota started following GM's lead beginning in the late 90s-2000.
Use the cheapest materials available, be overly proud (and blind) of your vehicles' sales figures and reliability..and you get these results.

I drive a '94 Geo Prizm (a Corolla in disguise), it is better-built than a 2000 Corolla.

Ask them for an all metal replacement part. To save money, Some dealerships have been replacing the old rubber hose with a new rubber hose and new clamps.

Originally Posted By: Billy007
Ask them for an all metal replacement part. To save money, Some dealerships have been replacing the old rubber hose with a new rubber hose and new clamps.

I think the updated part may not be metal.

Originally Posted By: The Critic

They have the all metal replacement part. But with so many recalls in their hands, it's easier to swap the $1 rubber hose than to replace the whole thing. There is a good chance that the 2010 RX350 has the all metal one.

Originally Posted By: The Critic

They have the all metal replacement part. But with so many recalls in their hands, it's easier to swap the $1 rubber hose than to replace the whole thing. There is a good chance that the 2010 RX350 has the all metal one.

According to a thread on ClubLexus, the updated rubber oil line uses a different rubber material. The updated oil line will not have the problem.

If the updated rubber is fine, why is Toyota not using them in the newer models?

The all metal part number for some models is 15772-31030. it should not retail more than $25. They are not using them because of the labor cost to put them in.

If the updated rubber is fine, why is Toyota not using them in the newer models?

The all metal part number for some models is 15772-31030. it should not retail more than $25. They are not using them because of the labor cost to put them in.

I am sure the risk of failure was evaluated and it was determined that the risk of repeat failure with the updated rubber line was low enough.

It's a business, after all. You can't seek the best solution sometimes. If you want the absolute best, then the OP should buy the metal line themselves and do the R/R. But to say that Toyota isn't fixing the problem with the updated rubber hose is far from the truth.

well at first my dad just bought the replacement part a new rubber hose with 2 clamps. they said it was the updated hose and it was $58!!!!!!
There is a P/N for a metal one but they treated my dad like he was ignorant or something and told him that an all metal part wasn't avaliable. my old man ended up calling the guy an [censored] and hung the phone up. The dealership is in modesto. we called another onbe in pleaston, CA and they was why cooler and promised to replace it with what we wanted. So we shall see.
As far as it running out of oil 2 times we told them to check the enigne for any damage from that and if we had any issues we was coming back to them for a free engine! LOL!
Can't wait till it gets back it will take them forever to just degrease the chassis! Oil was everywhere!

Originally Posted By: Geo_Prizm
I drive a '94 Geo Prizm (a Corolla in disguise), it is better-built than a 2000 Corolla.

And it is better build than a 2007/2008 Camry.

Originally Posted By: brelandt
well at first my dad just bought the replacement part a new rubber hose with 2 clamps. they said it was the updated hose and it was $58!!!!!!
There is a P/N for a metal one but they treated my dad like he was ignorant or something and told him that an all metal part wasn't avaliable. my old man ended up calling the guy an [censored] and hung the phone up. The dealership is in modesto. we called another onbe in pleaston, CA and they was why cooler and promised to replace it with what we wanted. So we shall see.
As far as it running out of oil 2 times we told them to check the enigne for any damage from that and if we had any issues we was coming back to them for a free engine! LOL!
Can't wait till it gets back it will take them forever to just degrease the chassis! Oil was everywhere!

that's what i like about Lexus Service!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back