Vehicle Size and What People "Need"

Status
Not open for further replies.
We're also being SOLD on smaller, hipper cars for the environment's sake. These cars may/may not suit our needs as well as the prior ones. Even if they do, I LIKE my big-*ss truck, even if everytime I drive it it isn't loaded to the max.

Quote:
Why no Diesel in the U.S.?

Simple, corn industry would be out of business. Environment and reducing emissions have nothing to do with ethanol, these are mere slogans used to persuade politicians, and it’s not like they have to work hard for it, now all you hear is ethanol… good, diesel... bad, soon they will teach this stuff in schools, it’s not like kids learn anything useful in there anyway
lol.gif

Quote:
Simple, corn industry would be out of business.

Ya Right, ethanol saved the corn industry 10 years, say what?

Less ethanol = more corn = cheaper meat and more profits for the farmer raising meat because of cheaper grain feed. Ask any chicken farmer about the price of feed.

Originally Posted By: Mr_Incredible
We're also being SOLD on smaller, hipper cars for the environment's sake.

Is that a BAD thing?
Environment aside, there are many reasons why consuming more fuel should not considered GOOD.

I'm starting to get the impression that in order for something in this country to be permissible in the name of the general good, it has to involve some kind of conquest, destruction, and excess, and it cannot involve even an iota of self-restraint.

We have no problem with the idea of sending soldiers overseas to kill and be killed to preserve our way of life, which is obviously a good thing when we are forced to make that choice. It just seems odd that we are so repelled by the idea that we should limit our own actions to exactly the same end.

It also seems odd that we will let our soldiers be accountable for our actions but not ourselves; they have volunteered to put themselves on the line for us and we will ride that until the cows come home, while refusing even to recognize any accountability to each other.

It's downright scary when the people who praise the soldiers for their sacrifices are the same people who refuse to do their own part at home...

Less gas milage means more crude oil purchased on the world market.

Iran's major export is crude oil. This oil is sold on the world market.

Iran also exports weapon and weapon parts to kill U.S. Servicemen.

Does it take a rocket scientist to see a connection here?

I pay higher insurance premiums on my home due to the fact that some choose to live in flood plains, or even build entire cities below sea level.

Should we relocate everyone to a more sensible place to live because it effects others in negative way?

People who live out in the SW where there is no water readily available, yet they enjoy watered fairways on their golf courses. Well, I think thats a waste of a very valuable resource, why should some people be allowed to live in the middle of the desert and use excessive amounts of water and AC energy in order to do so?

Is anybody getting the point? Where does it stop with you people? Should Canada be closed and all occupants moved to Hawaii because they are using so much energy up there to keep warm in the winter. I don't use or have AC in my house, so why do all those who burn all that energy for some little bit of comfort get a pass, but my truck is suddenly a problem.

How about housing codes, why not triple pane glass, and heat exchangers for every home. I live an extremely efficient home, do I get a carbon credit for my truck because my house is smaller and more efficient than yours?

Originally Posted By: jcwit

As has already been mentioned, the fuel burned in passenger vehicles across the globe is not the biggest piece of this pie. Not even close. Do you have any idea how it compares to say, the airline industry's consumption for example?
18.gif

You point would be... let me guess: Iran's oil is not as good as Argentina's oil? Or maybe Iran is less deserving of profit from their oil industry? Sorry, I don't see your point.

Lots of countrys export weapons. The U.S. exports as many if not more weapons of all kinds than any other country in the world. Iran has repeatedly demonstrated the ability to obtain illict nuclear industry equipment and terrorists obtain weapons from many sources apart from Iran both legitimately and otherwise. Again, what's your point?

Uh, my big American made pickup truck is killing U.S. servicemen?
33.gif

Originally Posted By: LS2JSTS
I pay higher insurance premiums on my home due to the fact that some choose to live in flood plains, or even build entire cities below sea level.

Should we relocate everyone to a more sensible place to live because it effects others in negative way?

Those people are not imposing the costs on you. The insurance companies are.

People who live out in the SW where there is no water readily available, yet they enjoy watered fairways on their golf courses. Well, I think thats a waste of a very valuable resource, why should some people be allowed to live in the middle of the desert and use excessive amounts of water and AC energy in order to do so?

Again: what one is allowed to do is not the same as what one should do. Please stop confusing them.

Should Canada be closed and all occupants moved to Hawaii because they are using so much energy up there to keep warm in the winter.

Come on, man. I know you're smarter than this.

I dont use or have AC in my house, so why do all those who burn all that energy for some little bit of comfort get a pass, but my truck is suddenly a problem.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1847165#Post1847165

I live an extremely efficient home, do I get a carbon credit for my truck because my house is smaller and more efficient than yours?

That's a good idea. I think you should.

No, the people impose the cost on the rest of us because they choose to live in a flood plain. The whole point of insurance is to spread the cost around, so year after year when the MS flood plain goes over, we all get to pay. Are you proposing an overhaul of the very concept of how insurance works?

As to the desert, are you saying that people shouldn't live in the SW or in arid, hot areas?

And again, it does apply to me. Just because I do choose to conserve in some areas, doesn't mean I dont splurge in other areas. The point is many with trucks/suvs do the same. What you see someone driving shouldnt lead you to make any assumptions about other aspects of their life.

Oh and, the Canada example was a bit out there, I agree, I was trying to be over the top.

My point was that unless you live in Hawaii, you are either using tons of energy to heat your home or to cool it depending on where you are. Strict building codes would go a lot further to help our energy situation than adding even more regulation onto the auto industry. No other industry has to deal with as much garbage, yet homes and how we use them dwarf energy use in cars.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: KrisZ
Quote:
Should Canada be closed and all occupants moved to Hawaii because they are using so much energy up there to keep warm in the winter.

I certainly wouldn't mind
grin2.gif

Me either....might get a bit crowded tho.....
55.gif
I'm willing to share a space with any number of the native women.

Originally Posted By: Nadir

As has already been mentioned, the fuel burned in passenger vehicles across the globe is not the biggest piece of this pie. Not even close. Do you have any idea how it compares to say, the airline industry's consumption for example?
18.gif

You point would be... let me guess: Iran's oil is not as good as Argentina's oil? Or maybe Iran is less deserving of profit from their oil industry? Sorry, I don't see your point.

Lots of countrys export weapons. The U.S. exports as many if not more weapons of all kinds than any other country in the world. Iran has repeatedly demonstrated the ability to obtain illict nuclear industry equipment and terrorists obtain weapons from many sources apart from Iran both legitimately and otherwise. Again, what's your point?

Uh, my big American made pickup truck is killing U.S. servicemen?
33.gif

Your response is so ridiculous it doesn't even warrent an intellegiant comment.

Quote;Should Canada be closed and all occupants moved to Hawaii because they are using so much energy up there to keep warm in the winter.

No, but 50% around here go to Arizona.
Our building code does require high levels of insulation. Plus we have incentives and tax breaks to convert to 'Power Smart' energy saving devices. Unfortunately, to some, that gives them the idea that it's then OK to build a 'monster home' But I think that will change.

As to the desert, are you saying that people shouldn't live in the SW or in arid, hot areas?

Remember that there was a time when a lot of people moved out to the desert southwest, then wanted to pump water from the Great Lakes, declaring the water as a "national resource". The economically battered industries and communities around the Great Lakes told them, "Since you don't want to work in the Midwest, and set up shop in the Southwest, get your own water!"

So, what I'm saying, is that, yes, people can live in the arid, hot areas as long as they don't covet the water in other places. (You can't have your cake and eat it too!) We people in the Great Lakes area are very provincial and protective of the water that surrounds us. It is not a "national resource" for other states to plunder.

No, we should stop shipping Alberta oilsands oil down to the States and keep it up here so we can keep ourselves warm in the winter.
lol.gif

No, the people impose the cost on the rest of us because they choose to live in a flood plain. The whole point of insurance is to spread the cost around, so year after year when the MS flood plain goes over, we all get to pay. Are you proposing an overhaul of the very concept of how insurance works?

Down here, the only way that you are covered for water damage if you live on a flood plain is if the water enters the house through the roof...you live on a floodplain, you own your own consequences.

Is anybody getting the point? Where does it stop with you people? Should Canada be closed and all occupants moved to Hawaii because they are using so much energy up there to keep warm in the winter. I don't use or have AC in my house, so why do all those who burn all that energy for some little bit of comfort get a pass, but my truck is suddenly a problem.

How about housing codes, why not triple pane glass, and heat exchangers for every home. I live an extremely efficient home, do I get a carbon credit for my truck because my house is smaller and more efficient than yours?

Very much agreed!

To the others... Knock it off with the all or nothing [censored]. I have a catless 600rwhp car that runs on leaded gas and gets 10mpg around town. I also have an ULEV TL that I commute in that I'm averaging 34mpg in now. I could very easily commute and afford to commute in the GN but I don't because I know it's not exactly environmentally friendly. But do I feel bad for the once or twice a month outing for a few hours? Not even a little. I do care about the environment and I think everyone should but it should not be forced on us.

You guys need to wake up and see what's going on around you.

Quote:
Simple, corn industry would be out of business.

Ya Right, ethanol saved the corn industry 10 years, say what?

Less ethanol = more corn = cheaper meat and more profits for the farmer raising meat because of cheaper grain feed. Ask any chicken farmer about the price of feed.

This is the FIRST thing you've written that I agree with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back