Manual Tranny 2010 Mazda3 and confused.

Status
Not open for further replies.
My physical manual specifies 75w80 GL-4 only.

Amsoil specs 70w80 GL-4

Online manual at Mazda's website specs either 75w90 or 80w90 allowing either GL-4 or GL-5

This is all on the 2.0L engine.

What the heck!!??

there's a trend recently to recommend GL4 lubes for manual trannys because the sulfer in GL5 lubes can corrode some of the softer metals. Amsoil (and others) has answered with their MTF line of lubes.

Originally Posted By: BovineScapegoat
Use Redline mt90 gl4 75w90
like me

Since it was an 80 weight recommended I had my eye on MTL 70W80 GL-4 Gear Oil by Red Line

You want a manual trans lube, not a differential gear lube.
Amsoil or Redline have superb fluids for you.
You can use the heavier version, but I'd go with the Amsoil MTF or Redline MTL.

With the move toward MPG, Mazda dropped the weight from 75w90 to 75w80 in 2010 for some of their manuals.

The real question, "is this the best weight, all else being equal?"

Was it for MPG? was it to reduce shift quality complaints and replacements?

Maybe they changed the gear material formula, or improved the gear heat-treat and decided to pay the supplier 'more' for the transmission
56.gif
...... maybe they decided that an increase in wear is worth the risk for better MPG and statistically wouldn't affect warranty claims? maybe the easier/improved shift quality will make up for some of the warranty claims
21.gif
?

Give you a little hint from my days of manufacturing for certain automakers. Its all a give/take relationship with everything. If you get 1000 shift quality complaints within a given time interval, along with 25 failed gearboxes and are replacing all 1025 transmissions, imagine the number of "shift quality complaints" eliminated with a thinner fluid; maybe 500 limp-wristed shift quality complaints eliminated and 100 new failed gearboxes = 600 units replaced compared to 1025 the previous time interval! Cut 1 complaint issue in half even though we get 4x as many hard failures saves the automaker ~425 replacements. Hang out with some accountants and statisticians.

If you're happy with the possible misprint in your owners manual, then use the 80 weight GL4 gear oils. These are pretty much equivalent to any synchromesh fluid.

If you believe that maybe the automaker could care less if the transmission lasts more than a week after the warranty expires, or if you plan on keeping the vehicle long past its last payment, then maybe a 90 weight GL4 fluid should be used. Amsoil MTG and Redline MT90 are easy choices. Ford/Pennzoil/... also have options.

If you don't won't to wrestle the shifter with the 90 weight when cold, another option, is to step down to an 85 weight gear oil. Nissan/Kia/Hyundai/Mitsubishi.... have GL4 85 weight gear oil(75w85).
Or, do what we've being doing for years and blend your own weight by mixing Redline's MTL and MT90 in some ratio, or Amsoils MTF & MTG.

Originally Posted By: sangyup81
My physical manual specifies 75w80 GL-4 only.

Amsoil specs 70w80 GL-4

Online manual at Mazda's website specs either 75w90 or 80w90 allowing either GL-4 or GL-5

This is all on the 2.0L engine.

What the heck!!??

Again I vote undummy as the best question answerer on BITOG.

I would do exactly as I do for my Volvo 5 speed. Mix MTF and MTG. Awesome combo.

Actually Amsoil doesn't even recommend a fluid for the 2010 3. I can pester Amsoil if you like.

I recommend contacting Mazda and see if they will give you something in writing.

+1 for a 50/50 or 70/30 (what I use) mix of:
- Redline MTL/MT-90
or
- Amsoil MTF/MTG

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back