Tire size question

Status
Not open for further replies.
this is for 2006 Scion Tc, bought used last summer.
The tires on the vehicle are Yokohama H4S 215/40 R17 in good shape, but one tire got damaged and has to be replaced.
The std size Toyota recommends is 215/45 R17.
The question is if I can purchase 2 standard size tires 215/45 and install them together wit 2 215/40 (the same size on front).
This way it allows me to return to std size in time.

Thank you!

You will lose the positive benefit from rotating your tires (i.e. right rear to left front, and so on). I'm sure you can run those though, but I don't know that I would. You'll just be increasing rolling mass for no good reason, in my mind.

Is there a reason other than the fact that Toyota recommends this size?

Does your car have traction/stability control? If so, the system may get thrown off by the two axles turning at different speeds.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Does your car have traction/stability control? If so, the system may get thrown off by the two axles turning at different speeds.

Correct me if I am wrong but, other than the difference in a 215 tire size between manufacturers which is marginally small, only the width of his tire changed. This shouldn't effect his speed, but if you were talking about the aforementioned difference, I assume that slight of a change could throw a flag...

Originally Posted By: BeanCounter
Correct me if I am wrong but, other than the difference in a 215 tire size between manufacturers which is marginally small, only the width of his tire changed. This shouldn't effect his speed, but if you were talking about the aforementioned difference, I assume that slight of a change could throw a flag...

He mentioned two sizes: 215/40/17 and 215/45/17. So, he's not changing width, but he's changing height.

215/40/17 has a diameter of 23.8in and makes 848 revs/mile.
215/45/17 has a diameter of 24.6in and makes 819 revs/mile.

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

Originally Posted By: sable996
this is for 2006 Scion Tc, bought used last summer.
The tires on the vehicle are Yokohama H4S 215/40 R17 in good shape, but one tire got damaged and has to be replaced.
The std size Toyota recommends is 215/45 R17.
The question is if I can purchase 2 standard size tires 215/45 and install them together wit 2 215/40 (the same size on front).
This way it allows me to return to std size in time.

Thank you!

First is that your current tires - 215/40R17 - have a smaller load carrying capacity than your original tires - 215/45R17. That increases the risk of a load related tire failure, which sometimes has tragic results.

So my recommendation would be to take the safest course of action and replace all 4 tires with the original tire size.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: BeanCounter

He mentioned two sizes: 215/40/17 and 215/45/17. So, he's not changing width, but he's changing height.

215/40/17 has a diameter of 23.8in and makes 848 revs/mile.
215/45/17 has a diameter of 24.6in and makes 819 revs/mile.

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

Ah, thank you.
Dang metric measurements. Arghhh.

Thank you very much for all replies.
Looks like I'll have to go with the safest way and replace all 4.
Thanks again for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back