Can enough moisture in tires throw balance off?

My Xterra has a slight steering wheel shimmy at 55-60mph but only when cold. I use my compressor in my garage for putting air in my tires. The compressor accumulates alot of water in the tank due to my garage's higher humidity levels.

Can the water be freezing and causing this shimmy? Once the tires warm up it goes away. The tires have been on the vehicle for some time, but they are in good shape.

You and I share the same issue. I thought it was balancing but it didn't correct it. When its cold I feel the wheel shimmy alot at the 45-60 range, and going like 70 i feel a little shaking going on.

Can flat spots happen so soon even after sitting for only overnight hours? I was going to have them dismounted to see just how much water im dealing with. Maybe its a little of both.

Originally Posted By: Anies
You and I share the same issue. I thought it was balancing but it didn't correct it. When its cold I feel the wheel shimmy alot at the 45-60 range, and going like 70 i feel a little shaking going on.

I have the '01 SE 4x4. It has been good to us since we bought it new. Its just this shimmy lately driving us nuts.

Moisture can cause the pressure to vary more than dry air as the tire warms up. Maybe the higher warm pressure presses the tire back into shape.

Originally Posted By: DieselTech
Have you seen the movie my cousin Vinny. The hillbilly says " you have mud in your tires "
Darn, you beat me to it!
lol.gif

If youre close to the freezing point, some tires will flat spot easily at that temp. That could be what youre feeling.

Moisture or a bit of water in the tire, should cause an imbalance.

Some truck guys run a little water in their tires to smooth out vibrations!

I've had my 04 for near a year and its been good, just had to fix a few things since the previous owner and dealership didnt bother. Tires are less than 7 months old(Kumho Road Venture APT's) and was getting [censored] at the vibrations during the cold temps.

Originally Posted By: ryan2022
If youre close to the freezing point, some tires will flat spot easily at that temp. That could be what youre feeling....

Actually that's a really good point. Since I changed tires on my Malibu, also to Kumho's, I've noticed this more in cold weather.

Flat spotting is the likely culprit.

The RE960's I love (except winter conditions) on my WRX do this at colder temps <20F and it goes away after a bit.

Last edited:
Could be flat spotting, however, I have a friend who (a couple years ago) had new tires installed at a Honda dealership (he's a Honda nut so he had the tires installed/balance etc by the dealer). He's also anal when it comes to his cars, so when it got cold, he noticed a vibration from the tires. Took it back to the dealer, they dismounted them and found water in the tires. Dried them out, reinstalled, all was good.

Originally Posted By: Jeepster_nut
Can flat spots happen so soon even after sitting for only overnight hours?

It certainly can. I had a set of Dunlop SP Maxx tires that would flat spot in a matter of a few hours.

With that said, I thought flat-spotting was mainly a trait of low-profile high speed-rated tires, not tall(ish) SUV tires, but what you're describing sounds just like it.

Do you park your vehicle outside for the night?

I was having death wobble issues. took the wheels off and I can hear sloshing water inside when I rock it back and forth. I haven't figured out how to get it out yet. Please let me know if you have a DIY solution without having the tires removed at a shop.

I expect this water comes from years of adding humid air into the tire. Compressed air naturally condenses moisture, and if you have a tank on the air compressor hopefully the water drops into the tank instead of the tire. When the weather gets cold, all that moisture condenses to a puddle (or ice cube) inside the tire. High performance garages use nitrogen to fill tires, which has zero moisture.

Can flat spots happen so soon even after sitting for only overnight hours? I was going to have them dismounted to see just how much water im dealing with. Maybe its a little of both.
Yes! All the tire has to do is cool a bit - even an hour will work. On the other hand, the longer the tire sits, the more likely the flat spot will be permanent (sort of) and we're talking months.

Neither does dry air have moisture in it. Sounds like your compressor (or shop) needs to fix up their equipment.
You're probably right about some faulty equipment. I've never had a problem with water in a tire before, but lo and behold this used car has water in it. So how do I get it out? The tires are bald enough it's not worth paying a shop without just replacing the whole set of tires.

You're probably right about some faulty equipment. I've never had a problem with water in a tire before, but lo and behold this used car has water in it. So how do I get it out? The tires are bald enough it's not worth paying a shop without just replacing the whole set of tires.
If there’s that much water in the tire I can’t imagine any way of getting it out other than a dismount. Maybe you can tilt it over on the edge and remove the stem? Maybe?

Back