The Oilyzer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Johnny
Even has a standard and synthetic switch. And all that for only $20. Wonder what it cost the OEM's to put the OLM in the new cars?

with that said, I wonder how it it would compare to an OLM from say GM. just a thought.

I'm not fully convinced, but at just $20 there not much to lose. It would make a neat gadget anyhow.

I bought one. I have wasted larger amounts of money on dumber things in my life. It should be fun to compare during my next UOA.

FYI shipping was nearly $10, so it was $29.98 for 1.

Last edited by a moderator:
• Fuel in the oil can give an articially
positive oil quality reading. If oil quality
does not drop as expected over time,
check for fuel leaks.

this will not make it very accurate on turbo cars..

Originally Posted By: TaterandNoodles
I bought one. I have wasted larger amounts of money on dumber things in my life. It should be fun to compare during my next UOA.

Hope you'll keep us updated!

Originally Posted By: levi

Hope you'll keep us updated!

I'm not going anywhere. I have 9 pieces of equipment I can try it on. My only problem is the primary 2 or 3 I test regularly only have half the mileage/hours I am planning on testing at. Since the unit is a TAN tester I don't see sampling early to be of any benefit.

we need to get some oil, send it in for a UOA and compare it to this thing. also test new oil to see what it says.

I was planning on doing just that. I have VOA's for ASM and ACD already and I am working on reaching the mileage on ACD in my DD.

Something odd though, I ordered 1 on the 18th and still have not received an email confirmation or been billed for it.
21.gif

The Oilyzer product uses the same physics for sensing the TBN of oil as many of the oil sensors used by automotive manufacturers. Although GM uses predictive statistics to assess the next oil change (often surpassing 15K mile oil replacements for newer vehicles), other manufacturers use capacitive sensing for detecting the oil acidity level, typically based on the TBN (Total Base Number)of the oil under test. As oil becomes more acidic due to friction, temperature, pressure, suspended contaminants etc, the TBN value changes, and is a very reliable indicator of oil quality. Optical or Photoelectric sensing has been used in the past to gauge the viscosity and opacity of oil, but has been proven to be unreliable and is not a technology used in the "Oilyzer" product. The combined capacitive and resistive aspects of measuring oil health or quality determines acidity, viscosity and contaminants (metal particulates, soot, dirt, coolant, water) with the exception of gasoline.

The Oilyzer is able to capture most of the information regarding the "TBN" of oil when compared to a high end spectroscopy, flash and chemical based tests. It is a scientific and technologically reliable indicator when measured against subjective human based test methods (based on the color of oil or driving mileages.

There is a plethora of scientific information on the web and in scientific journals or on SAE.org supporting the premise for reducing the number of unnecessary oil changes (replacements) and to extend driving distances based on TBN and other factors related to scientific measurement rather than by subjective means.

http://www.calrecycle.ca.gov/UsedOil/OilChange/
http://www.nordicgroup.us/oil.htm
http://money.blogs.time.com/2009/09/08/the-3000-mile-oil-change-myth/
www.sae.org keywords engine "oil dielectric longevity"

The Oilyzer tests oil the same way a person is able to determine their health by a blood test. It targets the four main variables for general oil testing;

1. Total mileage of the engine.
2. User driving habits (stop start versus long haul driving).
3. Environment the vehicle is typically driven (ambient temps, humidity, etc).
4. Engine condition (poor, fair, good).

Auto manufacturers already have many vehicles on US roads today,with oil sensors on board, surpassing 15K miles between oil changes without any oil or engine modifications warranting such mileage extensions (see GM technical forum). The 3000 mile myth stems from the post WWII era, and it is easy to understand that oil and engine science and technology has advanced to accommodate superior performance and longevity of oil and an owner's vehicle since that era.

I was planning on doing just that. I have VOA's for ASM and ACD already and I am working on reaching the mileage on ACD in my DD.

Something odd though, I ordered 1 on the 18th and still have not received an email confirmation or been billed for it.
21.gif

Any word on your order yet?

Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe

21.gif

Any word on your order yet?

No change as of this morning. I am going to call them today and see if the order even went through.

I have had items arrive before I saw a charge, I was waiting to see if that happened again.

Update.

The phone number on the website must be bad since no one ever answers. The only place I find that ph# listed is as an example ph# on website creation pages etc. There is no email address on the site anywhere so
21.gif

If anyone knows how to get a hold of anyone I'd like to know. As of this morning I have never been charged or received an email confirmation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back