Need a VAG scan tool

Trying to decide between OBDEleven and Carista.

Well, that's not 100% true since I'm leaning toward the former, but before I commit, I wanted to see if there are any gotchas. I'm not thrilled about the credit model, but I can live with it, and my understanding is that there are some things that don't require it. Mainly, I want to be sure it works as advertised.

Don't necessarily foresee a need to do deep customizations, or complex coding, but I understand it is at least capable of some form of it, while Carista is not.

Need to do rear brakes on a Audi C6, and retract the EPB. I know there are ways around that without using a scanner, but I prefer hacks only as the last resort, and plus I also want something that can reset the service reminder and read codes.

Before anyone says, "get the VCDS," I only have to service a single VAG vehicle, don't anticipate seeing that number increase, and most importantly, don't have a Windows laptop, or any kind of laptop for that matter (if it even runs in a VM), sitting around to devote to it.

For s&g's I got a rough quote from a local shop, and it would be more than double what the DIY+parts+scanner would cost.

Lastly, offhand, does anyone know if the 330mm rear brakes with the Lucas/TRW calipers need any special tool to retract (rotate) the pistons like I've heard about on other VW products?

TIA

It’s according to what you want the scanner to do and how much you are willing to pay.
The Ancel VD700 might be all that you need. This is the scanner that I’m probably going to buy.

I'll have to look into it. What is it that made it your favorite?

Wasn't aware of it, or their smartphone-based scanner.

Yikes. Not looking for a $450 solution to do routine maintenance like brakes and reset service lights.

With this car, I'm going to leave the heavy lifting to others.

Heck, I don't particularly even want to do this brake job, but I can think of better things to spend the additional $400 that would be paid to someone else to do it.

I have the obdeleven and am happy with it. I’ve used it to retract the rear brakes, used it to measure DSG fluid temperature and empty the pressure on the DSG pressure accumulator and calibration of the clutch packs on my seven speed DSG transmission while doing fluid changes a few times, change the number of blinks when you bump the turn signal from three to five and various other stuff like measuring the exhaust valve train for timing chain wear and coding new batteries and of course reset maintenance. I've used it on my A4, Jettas, Atlas cross sport and my daughters Tiguan so I’ve gotten plenty of use out of it. I log in most days to earn free points.

As you can see I’ve more than saved money with it.

The Ancel VD700 is a step up from the VD500. Most of us won’t be doing any major work on our VW/Audi cars. However, it’s nice to be able to do our own brake jobs or battery changes. Both of these units make that possible. Either will pay for themselves on the first battery change. See YouTube for the VD500 and VD700 reviews.

Last edited:
I'll have to look into it. What is it that made it your favorite?

Wasn't aware of it, or their smartphone-based scanner.

Yikes. Not looking for a $450 solution to do routine maintenance like brakes and reset service lights.

With this car, I'm going to leave the heavy lifting to others.

Heck, I don't particularly even want to do this brake job, but I can think of better things to spend the additional $400 that would be paid to someone else to do it.

You could put out a feeler on VWVortex or Audizine and see who had one close to you with unlimited VINs. Throw them a few bucks. I've never had luck with the generic OBDII stuff on VW's and maybe because I wasn't willing to plunk down close to $1,000 for a decent one. VCDS was always cheaper.

There are really cheap scanners that will do the brake retract. I bought an Xtool V401 a long time ago and it does pretty much anything VAG you want in the maintenance arena. I think I paid about a hundred bucks. It does do the pad retract function.

20240301_115625_resized.jpg

I have both OBD11 Pro and VCDS (HEX-NET PC based) enthusiast cable due to 3 current VAG cars in the stable and 13 in the recent past. I find 99% of the time I use the OBD11 for routine tasks and reading codes, using measuring blocks etc. Because it's a very small unit, and interfaces with the phone, I just keep it in the glovebox. Came in handy when I was on a recent roadtrip and got CEL/codes for the manifold runner flaps and didn't have access to my full VCDS set-up. I do have a cheap, dedicated laptop PC that I bought for ~$100 that works fine with the VCDS, so don't have the phone interface version. You can still do adaptations and long coding on OBD11 like with VCDS, however, it's not quite as intuitive. There are lots of channels to access that aren't necessarily spelled out for you. VCDS uses clear, detailed language for coding most things. Also, VCDS seems to me to be more detailed and can "drill down" further than OBD11. There have been things I could not access or resolve with OBD11 that I could with VCDS. Now the credit system is a non-issue for me. As mentioned, just log in often for credits or do a bulk purchase for credits (what I do). Way easier to do the adaptation "packages" on OBD11 where all the coding to make changes is incorporated into a one button kind of approach vs. several steps needed to make the same change on VCDS. Advantages and disadvantages to both (which is why I have both), but I would say for the DIY enthusiast, you will be well served with an OBD11 Pro.

Oh, and with retracting the caliper pistons, nothing special needed really. I've used needle nose pliers before in a pinch, but do have a kit from ECS Tuning with all the adaptors for different sized ones and all. You could get by with a generic Lisle retractor unit though and save some tool cost.

I have both OBD11 Pro and VCDS (HEX-NET PC based) enthusiast cable due to 3 current VAG cars in the stable and 13 in the recent past. I find 99% of the time I use the OBD11 for routine tasks and reading codes, using measuring blocks etc. Because it's a very small unit, and interfaces with the phone, I just keep it in the glovebox. Came in handy when I was on a recent roadtrip and got CEL/codes for the manifold runner flaps and didn't have access to my full VCDS set-up. I do have a cheap, dedicated laptop PC that I bought for ~$100 that works fine with the VCDS, so don't have the phone interface version. You can still do adaptations and long coding on OBD11 like with VCDS, however, it's not quite as intuitive. There are lots of channels to access that aren't necessarily spelled out for you. VCDS uses clear, detailed language for coding most things. Also, VCDS seems to me to be more detailed and can "drill down" further than OBD11. There have been things I could not access or resolve with OBD11 that I could with VCDS. Now the credit system is a non-issue for me. As mentioned, just log in often for credits or do a bulk purchase for credits (what I do). Way easier to do the adaptation "packages" on OBD11 where all the coding to make changes is incorporated into a one button kind of approach vs. several steps needed to make the same change on VCDS. Advantages and disadvantages to both (which is why I have both), but I would say for the DIY enthusiast, you will be well served with an OBD11 Pro.

Excellent. Was hoping for a real world perspective like this.

Appreciate all the comments. Now off to do some homework…

Back