10" Bench mount table saw

I fear I have to give up my dream of of a $3000-$5000+ cabinet table saw. :sad:

I just bought a $1000 pressure washer and other home projects cleaned out the slush fund. Plus I have a run-off drain pipe that is blocked and it's a bit unknown $ right now.

I need to finish a fence and gate, and I really need a table saw! What 10" "table top" bench saw with enough precision for some small medium crafts and home owner indoor/outdoor work?

The lucky part is I scored a FREE stand a guy was hucking at the dump right when I rolled up. So I will just put it right on that.

I like my dewalt. I think I paid $579 some years back. Take the time to set it up right, get good blades (Ridge Carbide is my recommendation, located close to me), etc.

be careful with some of the cheaper ones, where the quality “full size“ add ones won’t fit into the slot.

Im sure you can go up another notch to something still semi portable/non cabinet type with a cast iron top. But it will be heavier of course.

I’ll bet most finish work you see even in nice homes is done with this type of saw.. and even some furniture.

Whats the matter with this, or used?

I like my dewalt. I think I paid $579 some years back. Take the time to set it up right, get good blades (Ridge Carbide is my recommendation, located close to me), etc.

be careful with some of the cheaper ones, where the quality “full size“ add ones won’t fit into the slot.

Im sure you can go up another notch to something still semi portable/non cabinet type with a cast iron top. But it will be heavier of course.

I’ll bet most finish work you see even in nice homes is done with this type of saw.. and even some furniture.

Whats the matter with this, or used?

My only gripe about the DeWalt in stores is the wobbly stand. On my own stand, not a problem. THANKS!

My only gripe about the DeWalt in stores is the wobbly stand. On my own stand, not a problem. THANKS!
I’ve built a decent amount of stuff with it and didn’t find it too wobbly… the biggest was garage door sections…

Get a decent saw, but put a Forrest blade on it. Runout, quality of cut, durability - you can’t beat a Forrest.

My daughter, the hand surgeon, does a couple of “tablesaws” a week. She would tell you to get a SawStop.

I will humbly suggest the same.

You don’t want to meet my daughter at her place of work…

I'm thinking it was the wobbly store demo model not tight and such.

Do you see how it could be removed from the stand?

Thanks BTW
It just bolts on… simple to remove. Bolt the body to the next structure. Get two vacuums as you can remove dust from underneath and up top if desired. Makes it very clean.

When I bought mine, it came down to two: The Bosch and the Dewalt.
I ended going up with the Bosch because it went on sale for $50. cheaper at the time.
I'd have been happy with either. They both are comparable.
Here is what I ended up with:

I fear I have to give up my dream of of a $3000-$5000+ cabinet table saw. :sad:

I just bought a $1000 pressure washer and other home projects cleaned out the slush fund. Plus I have a run-off drain pipe that is blocked and it's a bit unknown $ right now.

I need to finish a fence and gate, and I really need a table saw! What 10" "table top" bench saw with enough precision for some small medium crafts and home owner indoor/outdoor work?

The lucky part is I scored a FREE stand a guy was hucking at the dump right when I rolled up. So I will just put it right on that.
Drain pipe might be cleared with a waterjet?

Table saw I know someone selling a really nice one but shipping would be abit much..
looks like this only nicer.(different brand)
1687288514426.jpg

When I bought mine, it came down to two: The Bosch and the Dewalt.
I ended going up with the Bosch because it went on sale for $50. cheaper at the time.
I'd have been happy with either. They both are comparable.
Here is what I ended up with:

That's the one I bought for $479

So no issues I assume?

That's the one I bought for $479

So no issues I assume?

Absolutely none.
Have been very happy with it.
Major improvement over the $97. Delta that I had for years.
Actually bought mine at Lowes as well.
I paid $449. on sale for mine about two years ago.
It is a nice saw. You should be happy with it.

I spent a bunch of time feeding a few saws linked/mentioned here. I am not sure how much their designs have changed in the few to several years that have passed. The pics look the same, but......

A friends garage contained the cast iron top Ridgid, with the wheel kit, and it was by far my favorite to use, after I removed table surface light rust from it being left outside overnight occasionally, uncovered.

Quiet, it would easily mow through mahogany and walnut 1.5" thick stock very joyfully, compared to my 20 year Old Makita 2703.

A different friend had a Ridgid with the wheel kit. I liked it, and used it a lot on many projects round his home. But for one imprecise task I did not want any part of he Hired an inexperienced carpenter who allowed 1/8" excessive amounts of offcuts to fall into saw, alongside the blade, burning out the motor windings and grumblefying the bearings. I was annoyed and wanted to put a new motor on it. It was a Craiglist purchase, and A new saw was needed pronto, He ran out and bought the Bosch linked earlier in this thread and I never saw that Ridgid again.

I found the wheel kit often in the way. Had to always walk way around it and would kick the wheels.
It had this weird thing where raising or lowering the blade, it would bind on the tracks, unless one would simultanelously pullup or push down on the blade, while cranking the height dial, but once moving, then it was super smooth, but every blade height change was pretty much annoying.

I tried to remedy this quickly, with some silicone spray on tracks, with little if any improvement, but, not my saw and i just lived with it till I was done with project. He did call me one time and was like why can't I raise the blade further?

I have owned the Discontinued Makita 2703 for 20 years. I cant believe I've never had to change the brushes.
Its blade can raise upto 3 9/16", and rip 3/16" thick, 3.5" wide planks from a 3.5" tall 2x4 in one pass.

It is Imprecise in nature but can be dialed in further. I've loved its compact generally lightweight portable nature.
It has driven cross country with me a dozen times.
It is currently getting some love, regarding noise suppression and dust collection and perfectly aligning the too shallow mitre gauge slots with the blade for a louver sled jig I'm making.
Would like to mate it a more precise stand/table with 4 locking casters as transportability, is not really needed currently from garage wall to garage center. right now I cam moving it, then its table then putting it on the table, every time I need to use it, then put it back and return car to garage.

I really miss the mobility on a hard surface of the Ridgid cast iron top for moving it away from garage wall to middle, or on sidewalk around to back of house.
Single lever raised it on the wheels, release to rest on rubber feet. That was awesome.

My 2703 has been 100% problem free, other than the original 14-2 powercord insulation getting brittle.
I replaced original powercords with a 25' 12-3 extension cord, and grounded the aluminum table.

9e2ec169-7864-4753-96ea-e07108ddee18_2703_p_1500px.png

I've yet to use a saw whose fence was perfectly parallel with the blade, always.
The cast Iron Ridgid was the best of the ones listed above, after I tuned it in, but the super precise cuts with expensive lumber, still needed a little tweak or 2, and perhaps a clamp to lock/hold the fence absolutely perfectly parallel with blade, and perpendicular to table, to insure best possible outcome, as I have no jointer.

Of the 4, I liked using the Bosch the least, even though it is a better saw than my 2703.

Near $200 blades. That much better than Freud?
Wow. They have gone up since I last bought one.

My Forrest blades have been great. They’re also over 20 years old and have been resharpened. The thicker carbide teeth on a Forrest allows multiple re-sharpenings, which makes them cheaper in the long run, over less expensive blades.

The performance is excellent. Are they better than a current Freud? Don’t know. The Forrest is made in America, which matters to me - but it might be worth a look at Fine Woodworking and see what their latest blade test reveals. I’m going off old tests, and the experience with that blade.

Back