Harley Behaviors

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yo ZGRider:

Looks like fishin's been pretty good! Not much variety though.....

Best of the season to all.....

Another thing, yes they "obey" the speed laws. All summer long I'm trying to have an enjoyable ride on a 55mph road, but *no* there are groups of Harleys traveling at 40mph. Of course no passing zones, so I get that stink noise in my ears for 50 miles. What? these guys can't ride? or is it part of the "behavior" in being more obnoxious by stopping up traffic for miles?

I live on a now busy street and the noise intrusion of modified pickups and tuners is far worse than MCs. But there are some idiots that seem to think they own the only MC in town and twist the volume control in their right hand. No need for that and most of us are very concious of riding habits and want to preserve the right to have a good exhaust setup. There are always the few idots though. When all is said and done the cagers are a far bigger problem with respect to road manners and far less skilled at even the most basic driving ability. I have to scratch my head about every other day over how this or that idiot ever got a license to operate anything let alone be on the road with me.

Originally Posted By: RonH
Another thing, yes they "obey" the speed laws. All summer long I'm trying to have an enjoyable ride on a 55mph road, but *no* there are groups of Harleys traveling at 40mph. Of course no passing zones, so I get that stink noise in my ears for 50 miles. What? these guys can't ride? or is it part of the "behavior" in being more obnoxious by stopping up traffic for miles?

Imagine their nerve riding on YOUR road......
lol.gif

Forget the no passing zones. If there is a rolling roadblock in front of me, I'll wait until it is clear the other way, kick it down a gear and pass the whole parade in one go. Kinda gets 'em riled sometimes, but with their non existent acceleration, it's not a problem.

First off, those slow poke Harley riders don't stay in my way for long. I simply twist the grip and go around them (you can do that if you're not riding a Harley you know). Secondly, give those HD guys a break. If they're doing 40 MPH in a 55 zone, it's probably because they're running wide open ;0)

Well, this is very enlightening, so I'll add a couple more benign comments.

First, I don't believe all Harley riders are foolish, poser-snobs, but some could practice a little more pro-active, safety-oriented riding style.

Second, I agree that many sport-bike "squids" are just as damaging to motorcycling as loud, obnoxious Harley (and Metric Cruiser) riders.

Third, if this "bad-boy" motorcycling behavior persists, then "Big Brother" government is going to step in and curtail our enjoyment with oppressive regulations.

Finally, I agree that as motorcyclists we should all respect each other and find common ground to bring us together -- but it doesn't mean I have to like the "big-shot, I'm better than you" attitude that many exhibit as they try to make up for some glaring anatomical deficiency (read: "mine's bigger than yours")

People, this is an oil site. Bashing people that ride a specific brand of motorcycle is stupid and provides no benefit to anyone.

Originally Posted By: Redline955
Forget the no passing zones. If there is a rolling roadblock in front of me, I'll wait until it is clear the other way, kick it down a gear and pass the whole parade in one go. Kinda gets 'em riled sometimes, but with their non existent acceleration, it's not a problem.

You should try doing it on a 109 sometime. Top gear roll-ons on this thing are incredible. If I downshift and go around them it'll happen so fast I'll be nothing but a blur to them.

Grampi:

I have no doubt that the Suzuki M109 does great top-gear roll-ons, but I'll take my Kaw Concours 14 for top end acceleration anyday. Trouble with big V-Twins is most run out of steam when the torque runs out. It takes horsepower to push through the wind over 120. Last I looked, the M109 only produces 110HP while the Connie has 140HP and weighs less. Torque is great, but horsepower is awesome.

Originally Posted By: grampi
Originally Posted By: Redline955

You should try doing it on a 109 sometime. Top gear roll-ons on this thing are incredible. If I downshift and go around them it'll happen so fast I'll be nothing but a blur to them.

Let's see... Speed Triple or 109? Nope, I'm good. I can't do 6th gear roll ons at 40 mph!
21.gif
And I try to get around as fast and safely as possible, whatever gear it takes.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Johnny
Where to start? Okay, Wisconsin. We do not have a helmet law, we should but we don't. When the snow melts and the weather warms up you bet, the Harley riders come out of the woodwork, and yes some of them have straight pipes and are way to loud. But most of them obey the speed limits in town, are courteous, and go about their business. Now, we also have an abundance of rocket jocks. Most have some kind of custom exhaust system and when wound up the noise will almost break glass. They don't wear helmets, have on the shorts and sandals, and seem to want to race each other from stop light to stop light. The funny thing is where I live everyone respects each other. We don't have "biker bars" here is Wausau, just plenty of bars. On a Friday night you will see Harley's parked next to Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, and Kawasaki cycles. We all mix together and get along just fine.

Now for all of you that think Harley bikers are the scum of the earth listen up, have you ever been with a bunch of them on a fund raiser to help crippled children? Have you ever seen a hundred tattooed Harley riders balling their eyes out at the burn unit at a Shriners Hospital? Have you ever been with them when they poured their hearts out to a war vet? Well, I have, so show some respect. Not all of the apples in the barrel are bad.

Best ride I've ever been on was last summer when the Harley club in Green Bay and the Gold Wing club in Green Bay got together to raise money for a little girl that had to have brain surgery.

It's my last post on the subject. Keep up the back and forth and after four or five pages this thread will also be locked.

Good day and Merry Christmas to all.

Very nice post. I reject the premise that Harley riders are jerks. Some are for sure. But there are jerks that ride all makes and kinds of bikes. My main riding buddy rides a Suzuki C50 and I don't turn my nose up to him or his bike. He likes his bike, and it's a good looking bike, so end of story.

At bike nights at the Quaker Steak beside the Harley dealership you see mostly Harleys, but there is always quite a few Japanese cruisers and even a few crotch rockets. Everyone has a good time.

Originally Posted By: ZGRider
Grampi:

I have no doubt that the Suzuki M109 does great top-gear roll-ons, but I'll take my Kaw Concours 14 for top end acceleration anyday. Trouble with big V-Twins is most run out of steam when the torque runs out. It takes horsepower to push through the wind over 120. Last I looked, the M109 only produces 110HP while the Connie has 140HP and weighs less. Torque is great, but horsepower is awesome.

V-twins can't compete with multi-cylinders, however the 109 is unique in that it has a very short stroked engine so it doesn't redline until 7500 RPM. It's not your typical v-twin cruiser by any stretch of the imagination. When all the other v-twins have hit their rev limiter, the 109's got 2 grand or more left on the tach. You're right though, no v-twin will come close to running with your Connie, but they'll leave a Harley so bad they look like they've locked their brakes.

First off, those slow poke Harley riders don't stay in my way for long. I simply twist the grip and go around them (you can do that if you're not riding a Harley you know). Secondly, give those HD guys a break. If they're doing 40 MPH in a 55 zone, it's probably because they're running wide open ;0)

Gramps, do you have the M109R? Motorcyclist magazine has a dyno chart showing 107hp and 97 tq. If that's the case then you almost have as much power as my lowly Road King, with its small 95" engine. Good luck trying to get past me.

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/roadte...s/photo_19.html

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: cfromc

Gramps, do you have the M109R? Motorcyclist magazine has a dyno chart showing 107hp and 97 tq. If that's the case then you almost have as much power as my lowly Road King, with its small 95" engine. Good luck trying to get past me.

Sorry dude:

The factory TC96 engine produces 68HP so unless you have a TC110 engine with a Screamin Eagle kit, your Road King isn't anywhere close to an M109. Even the TC110 Screamin' Eagle Stage 1 only makes 80HP. Dream-on, and drool.

Don't believe me? See for yourself:

http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/hd2007HD_performance.htm

Originally Posted By: ZGRider
Originally Posted By: cfromc

Sorry dude:

The factory TC96 engine produces 68HP so unless you have a TC110 engine with a Screamin Eagle kit, your Road King isn't anywhere close to an M109. Even the TC110 Screamin' Eagle Stage 1 only makes 80HP. Dream-on, and drool.

Don't believe me? See for yourself:

http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/hd2007HD_performance.htm

Yeah, he must be sleep typing in one of his Harley dreams if he thinks his RK will even come close to a 109. He doesn't even know how many cubes his own bike has. BTW, I've already run a Screamin Eagle and I left him in the dust too. Give it up people, Harleys aren't fast.

Last edited:
Typical Harley rider? Knows more about what his bike isn't than what it is.

No way a 2-valve, pushrod, air-cooled engine is going to out-perform a 4-valve, OHC, liquid-cooled engine with GSXR slipper pistons. The Japanese don't just copy Harleys, they dominate them performance-wise. Just look at the Vulcan 2000 -- 114HP and 140 ft/lbs of torque. No contest with these power-cruisers.

If cfromc wants a Harley and horsepower, he needs to buy a V-Rod.

Last edited:
Go on tour to meet the "real riders" of any brand persuasion. Far away from home travelling in the remote parts of our country for true adventure of the journey seperates the "posers" and "bikers" from motorcyclists.

Guys on sport-bikes with soft luggage, distance riders on Harley's and Wing's and Beemers tacking up 15k or more miles per year, all with the purpose of "motorcycling", not putting people down or trying to put on a show. Riders that think nothing of a quick 250 mile "day ride".

I have to chuckle when I see the squids and HD "bikers" who are so passionate but only manage to ride 1200 miles in 3 years.

Ride more, worry less.

As much as I've tried to avoid getting involved in this thread I have to say that the vast majority Harley people live in their imaginary little bubble where everything HD is right with the world and everything else is wrong. Therefore they are entitled to extreme embellishment simply because reality doesn't matter if you ride a Harley.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back