ok to take your car out of gear without clutch??

Status
Not open for further replies.
In my 99 Beetle 2.0 it's really easy to take it out of gear without using the clutch.. it doesn't complain. In my SpecV you have to use some force, but it will do it without touching the clutch (so I've only done it a few times).

Is it ok to do this??

Yup, done it a million times. As long as the RPM's are in perfect sync with the synchro's you can glide from one gear to another. Usually its at lower RPM's

what's making me go nuts, on my pickup when the stick was in gear, any gear, the stick would NOT come out to neutral for anything. And now it's very effortless, the clutch doesn't slip, and was replaced a year ago and the problem wasn't there.
dunno if that's really a problem or not.

If you have to tug on it, then no.

I usually only do it on decel, and I blip the throttle with about 2 lb of force on the shifter. If it does it, it does, otherwise, I don't play with it.

Shifting into gear without clutch is way more cleverer. For some reason I have the easiest time in 4th gear.

I drop my car to neutral all the time w/o the clutch. haven't tried shifting from gear to gear w/o on this car, but used to do it quite a bit in my Nova I had years ago. had a muncie M21 in that, all old and worn out, didnt hardly need the clutch.

When I'm coasting toward a red light, I leave it in high gear and slip it out without using the clutch at about 1000 rpm. I figure that would cause the least wear of any method.

Originally Posted By: MrWideTires
In my 99 Beetle 2.0 it's really easy to take it out of gear without using the clutch.. it doesn't complain. In my SpecV you have to use some force, but it will do it without touching the clutch (so I've only done it a few times).

Is it ok to do this??

What am I missing here? Why would you want to??

I personally wouldn't make a habit of upshifting without the clutch. Yeah, you can do it... but IMO you're taking a real chance with your synchronizers.

Matter of fact, quite a few years ago, Volvo came out with some heavy trucks that had a synchronized Euro-style transmission (as opposed to a comparable American heavy truck with an unsynchronized transmission). They failed left and right, and it's RARE to see one on the road today... 'cause all the stupid American truck drivers "floated the gears". Tore up the synchronizers in short order.

But slipping the tranny out of gear when there's no torque (either accelerating or decelerating) on the drivetrain... that won't hurt anything. I've done it that way for as long as I've been driving.

I shift mine out of gear all the time on decelertion, at ~ 1000 rpms it comes right out of gear. Shifting without the clutch is easier on some cars than others. As mentioned already its not the best thing in the world for the syncros.

I had my choice of any used Honda I wanted as a demo car when I was selling them. I found the 4 cyl Accords and Civics the easiest of any car to shift w/o the clutch. All I did was used the clutch to get into 1st gear, and after that I could drive anywhere w/o using the clutch.

Originally Posted By: SWSportsman

What am I missing here? Why would you want to??

Less wear. I slap mine into neutral all the time coming up to a red light. When the light turns green, I depress the clutch and slip it into first gear and take off.

Idling at the red light with the clutch pedal depressed causes all kinds of wear on the engine's thrust main bearing as well as the clutch throwout bearing.

My uncle goes from R or 1 to neutral in his driveway, clutchlessly, while plowing snow. There's some skill.
wink.gif

Sure, it's OK to take it out of gear with no clutch.
But technique is important. Do it as you let off the gas, and unload the gears.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back