Manual trans cars that can be started without the clutch pedal pushed in

depends on the age of the vehicle if the nanny state had designed it to be that way... and any of them will start with the clutch in whatever old position you desire if you disconnect or jump the switch on the pedal.. :) kinda like the first thing I generally bypass on a riding lawnmower is the seat switch and if I have trouble with the blade brake on a chainsaw that sucker has been known to go in the shi+can too. :)
Ditto for my Kubota seat switch. With clamp-on forks I often need to stand for visibility

And if you REALLY wanna know my level of Luddite-ness: I kinda miss the days of just being able to not touch the brake and quickly throw an auto into D. We all know if you flew past R quickly enough it wouldn't catch
Me too! These days i find myself tapping the brake just long enough that I get out of park—sometimes my foot is faster than my hand and I have to try twice. No idea why I’m falling into this habit.

depends on the age of the vehicle if the nanny state had designed it to be that way... and any of them will start with the clutch in whatever old position you desire if you disconnect or jump the switch on the pedal.. :) kinda like the first thing I generally bypass on a riding lawnmower is the seat switch and if I have trouble with the blade brake on a chainsaw that sucker has been known to go in the shi+can too. :)
Previous owner of my riding mower disabled the safety switch. I had grand hopes that my kids would take to mowing the yard (ha!) so I re-enabled. Hated it. Kept disengaging on bumps, plus it has some stupid thing to mow in reverse. Disabled that before too long.

Reactions: D60
I had a early 80's Jeep wrangler that you could start the engine while in gear. Great for climbing over rocks in low 1st gear. Don't know where your tire was half way over a rock? Just turn off the engine get out and take a look then get back in and crank the engine without touching the clutch to continue crawling over the rock. In the late 80's I had a Toyota 4x4 pickup that I think you could do the same thing,
Yep my 78 CJ7 is like and I love that

Who has cruise control in a manual transmission car?

I say unless you have a sports car forget the manual transmission. Think of resale..

An automatic is just easier to drive. They last a long time. Just change the ATF before it becomes something that looks like driveway sealer and good to go. MPG is better than a manual.

• Haha
Reactions: D60
Both of my previous manuals had cruise. My TDi would have had less resale value as an automatic, back in the days of the 4AT (not as reliable). My Camry, yeah that had a lot less value as a stick, for sure.

In the old days, mobsters would plant explosives in the car of someone they wanted to rub out and would explode when you turned on the car. If you are worth being rubbed out, you might want to install a remote start so if the car blows up when started, you're not sitting in it.

The bad guy who wants to get around that possibility will wire the detonator so it blows up when the vehicle is put into drive.

kinda like the first thing I generally bypass on a riding lawnmower is the seat switch

The seat switch isn't the problem, it's the switch that kills the engine when you go into reverse with the mowing deck down. Easy enough to disconnect that wire.

My 03 Civic does. Use it all the time, even when not on the highway. Plenty of roads here that transition from 45 down to 35 mph and I just decelerate with the cruise. 5th gear is good down to 35 on level roads (1700 rpm).

Back