Manual trans cars that can be started without the clutch pedal pushed in

We recently picked up a non-running fixer upper. It's an '85 Sentra with a 5 speed manual. The engine cranks without the clutch pedal pushed in. I tested the clutch switch above the pedal with a multimeter and it works normally. I bought an 85 Sentra owners manual from ebay and according to the manual, this is normal:

and

So if this is normal behavior, what is the purpose of the clutch switch? Obviously, I'm wrong in my assumption that it prevents the engine from starting if the pedal is not pushed in.
i misread. Doesn’t happen with my 98 maxima nor 2007 bmw

Do 20+ year old cars even get recalls?
Just had my manual 04 Saturn in for the power steering motor. And my '88 Camero has an outstanding recall for the seat belt buckle.

As for defeating safety systems, back in the older days, I used to jump the power window fuse to the door lock fuse so I didn't have to turn the ignition on just to lower the windows. Annoying to have to climb in the car, stick the key in and turn it on, when you want to lower the windows on a hot day to air it out, instead of just opening the door and pressing the window switches down.

The clutch eye dee ten tee switch on newer vehicles is the 'dumbing down' of everything to the majority

Gas gauge malfunctioned, was at red light and out of gas, limped out of the intersection and into the gas station on Diehard power alone.
Can't do that anymore. Manual transmissions are now for the minority.
Newer? My Trooper has a clutch safety switch.

"Had." It's disabled. Bad for the thrust bearings dontchaknow.

i like the manuals that start without pressing the clutch, i usually start the car in neutral so pushing the clutch doesn't make sense. it's not cold enough here for the transmission fluid to thicken alot (i have pumped gear oil in early January here and it was 55 and sunny, a really cold day)

My 2019 MT Tacoma has a switch, just to the left of the steering column, on the dash. Pretty cool actually. Normal is clutch pedal must be depressed. Flip the switch and will start in gear, engaged.
I owned 81, 87, 91 and 97 Toyota trucks with manuals. All of them had a clutch start cancel switch.

They probably put than in on all cars at the factory. Easier than hand picking the ones that don't get it.
Depends on the maker I think. My 2007 Corolla didn’t have factory cruise control. I installed a Rostra kit and had to add the clutch switch myself. I tried a test drive without it but the cruise wouldn’t activate unless it was present.

I remember contorting myself to reach up into the footwell and screw it into the factory bracket as being one of my least enjoyable automotive tasks.

I too prefer to disable. One huge advantage of a manual is being able to bump it around with the starter if something else fails like fuel pump or ignition. Sure, it's kinda hard on the starter and battery but if it safely gets you out of a busy intersection......

That said having spent time around things like my non-profit's CTD, I still have a healthy respect for triple checking that it's not in gear, esp when it's parked a couple feet from my 72" box. A 5.9 in first gear of a NV5600 and 4.10s would just idle through my shop wall.

I also never disable stuff like this on my non-profit's vehicles. They're simply driven by too many volunteers, many of whom I wouldn't trust to hang a small picture and get it right.

And if you REALLY wanna know my level of Luddite-ness: I kinda miss the days of just being able to not touch the brake and quickly throw an auto into D. We all know if you flew past R quickly enough it wouldn't catch. I've always considered defeating brake interlocks but since I often leave my dogs in my truck I don't. Although Subaru interlocks fail often enough I probably would disable an old Subaru if I owned one!

Unless the engine has been sitting for years, it has oil on it from the last time it ran. That's not going wear off in a few seconds of cranking.
I've had many engines apart. And I can tell without a doubt the ones that had a manual transmission behind them. The forward thrust bearing is always more worn than the rearward one. Automatics don't show noticeable wear on thrust bearings generally.

Our 1992 Sentra didn't have a clutch safety switch, and we were getting the battery replaced at an autoparts store while on a road trip. For some reason the guy wanted me to start the car while he was standing in front of it with the hood open, and I forgot to press the clutch...
The parking brake was on, and I got onto the clutch almost instantly, so the car jumped a few inches and just scared everyone, but I can see how I could have stabbed the gas instead of the brake and clutch and it would've been a very bad day! So I leave the Focus clutch switch in.

I don't get the joke.
In the old days, mobsters would plant explosives in the car of someone they wanted to rub out and would explode when you turned on the car. If you are worth being rubbed out, you might want to install a remote start so if the car blows up when started, you're not sitting in it.

We recently picked up a non-running fixer upper. It's an '85 Sentra with a 5 speed manual. The engine cranks without the clutch pedal pushed in. I tested the clutch switch above the pedal with a multimeter and it works normally. I bought an 85 Sentra owners manual from ebay and according to the manual, this is normal:

and

So if this is normal behavior, what is the purpose of the clutch switch? Obviously, I'm wrong in my assumption that it prevents the engine from starting if the pedal is not pushed in.
depends on the age of the vehicle if the nanny state had designed it to be that way... and any of them will start with the clutch in whatever old position you desire if you disconnect or jump the switch on the pedal.. :) kinda like the first thing I generally bypass on a riding lawnmower is the seat switch and if I have trouble with the blade brake on a chainsaw that sucker has been known to go in the shi+can too. :)

Back