Looking for a grease gun that works

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got my oil changes down to "one paper towel" but grease lubrication requires the entire rest of the roll.

I'm constantly fighting this thing loosing prime, unable to eject the grease, leaking, messy, stuck plunger, etc.

Anyone have a recommendation on a user friendly grease gun that's easy to prime? Does a "one paper towel" grease gun exist?

Last edited:
i like air grease guns i seem to have good luck out of them. the ones at work i think are alemite? brand they're 50$ or so but i've never had a problem with them really i've noticed alot of cheaper grease tho has alot of air pockets which make it a pain to keep it bleed out and running. i've noticed this from the walamart brand grease?

I have the cheapest Wally gun and havent had any problems with it. It has a bleed screw near the pump and one bleed and I am good to go for the life of the tube of grease. I had a hand pump one that took the small tubes that would waste the whole tube of grease to get it primed, threw that one in the trash. Hard to find decent grease in the little cartridges anyway.

I have an Allemite that I paid $50 for and never had a single problem. I have worked with several guys who keep buying $15-$20 grease guns and replace them once a year.

I find the " old style " guns that have one long handle work much better and are much more dependable than the pistol grip ones.

Alemite 555-E is probably the last of the American-made, durable guns. Get one while you still can, everyone else has offshored to China. It seems to prime better than most since its design uses a better internal spring for priming, or something like that. It's a pistol grip, but Alemite also makes pro quality lever guns if you want that.

I'm undecided on a grease gun. I'm leaning towards a Lincoln, but which model? The 1133 or 1134 perhaps? Any opinions?

Have had great results using Alemite #550 grease guns. As a matter of fact I won't use anything else because these guns have performed the best compared to others I have tried.
mikeyoilnutt

I use an air gun for my main gun. I have no problems with it. Occasionally a pain to bleed the air, but that's very infrequent.

I am sure the Lincoln/Alemite great but I've been fine with Chinamart guns.

At about $12 a piece I can have multiple lubes (Full-synthetics made in the USA)ready to go.

I might feel differently if I used them daily.

Lincoln Model 1134 is where it's at!!!!!
thumbsup2.gif

1134.jpg

Originally Posted By: bigmike
That's the model I decided on purchasing as well. Picked it up on Amazon.

You'll love it the firt pump you give it,great great gun..

Thanks. I've got it narrowed down to a Lincoln 1134 or Alemite 555-E.

Do these grease guns automaticlly purge any air in the system with a check valve? Did a check valve replace the removable plug?

That's the main problem with my existing gun. I insert a new tube of grease and remove the plug until grease starts to come out and then put the plug back in. I might get a few sqeezes until another air pocket reneders it useless. Trying to purge air becomes increasingly difficult with heavy grease and a cold shop.

I never have a problem with my 1134,put a tube in and pump away takes off,mabye in the cold winter you'll have a little prim issue but i think all guns have that problem with cold thick grease.

I bought a Lincoln 1147 two years ago and the pump end did not thread on correctly...defective male threads on the tube.
The free replacement one had a bad grease nipple on it that did not grab the zerk correctly. The third one seems to be o.k.. i hope they have corrected their quality control since moving production to China.

1147.jpg

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
I bought a Lincoln 1147 two years ago and the pump end did not thread on correctly...defective male threads on the tube.
The free replacement one had a bad grease nipple on it that did not grab the zerk correctly. The third one seems to be o.k.. i hope they have corrected their quality control since moving production to China.

1147.jpg

My 1134 has been nothing but OUTSTANDING,,great gun no problems at all would buy another in a heart beat!

The reviews of the 1134 at Amazon are very troubling. Many users complain that the coupling locks onto the zerk way too tightly. Some users even claim that they break the zerk fitting while trying to remove the coupler. This becomes a major issue in driveshaft yokes with no room for your fingers. Has Lincoln fixed their quality control problems in China?

Is the Alemite 555-E different then the Lincoln 1134? They look identical. Are they both made in China.

I'd opt for the 555 if I was assured it was made in USA but I have my doubts that it's any different from 1134 except for color.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back