Using an oil extractor.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was going to do the wife's oil change tomorrow but wasn't planning on changing the filter. The vehicle is a 2007 Ford Escape 2.3L and holds about 4.6 qts with a filter change. She is at the end of her 5k OCI with Quaker State 5w20 and a MC filter.

Since I'm not planning on changing the filter this time, I want to be sure to get the most oil out of it I can. Does anyone know if I would be able to get more oil out with the extractor if the car is sitting on level ground or would I get more out if I parked it on a slight downslope so the oil would sit more towards the front of the oil pan?

I've gotten more oil out with removing the drain plug than using an extractor. Although you can't beat an extractor for draining ATF before dropping the pan, especially if removing a tranny line is an issue, and you don't have a drain plug.

Drain plug is not an option and I get slightly more out using the extractor when I change the filter at the same time.

Surprising that you get more out using an extractor. I can't comment on whether the car should be level or not. I think it depends on where the dipstick tube is in relation to the lowest part of the oil pan.

Originally Posted By: badtlc
I was going to do the wife's oil change tomorrow but wasn't planning on changing the filter. The vehicle is a 2007 Ford Escape 2.3L and holds about 4.6 qts with a filter change. She is at the end of her 5k OCI with Quaker State 5w20 and a MC filter.

Since I'm not planning on changing the filter this time, I want to be sure to get the most oil out of it I can. Does anyone know if I would be able to get more oil out with the extractor if the car is sitting on level ground or would I get more out if I parked it on a slight downslope so the oil would sit more towards the front of the oil pan?

Level is fine. I have a Pela extractor that I just pump up stick in and wait until it starts gurgling air. I then pump it up once more and get the little bit that is sits down there until I hear air again, then I am done.

Works real nice. Extremely handy for snow blower and lawn mower.

I wouldn't be without it really.

What do you mean "drain plug is not an option"?

Whether you get more out with a drain plug vs. extraction depends on the design of the pan and location of the drain plug. With some cars, you get more out using extraction methods. One way to find out is to open the drain plug after all oil has been extracted and see how much more oil comes out. Or, conversely, drain all the oil using the plug, then see how much more oil you can remove using an extractor.

I did both, park level and using a ramp only on one front wheel, and my feeling is that you can extract more when you are not leveled.

But it mainly depends how much energy you put on extracting the used oil. When I used the non level method, at the end (after the first gurgling), I was moving the tube in and out while still pumping to be sure that I got every ounces left. I did not go that far when the car was leveled.

If you have a clear low point in your pan, being level is OK, but if the pan is mainly flat at the bottom, moving the oil to a corner should help remove more.

When I worked hard on the tube and pump, I removed the exact quantity I put 6 months ago, so I feel that is a really good method to change oil (and my wife likes when I don't do a mess in the garage too). Even if I change the oil filter, I use the extractor.

The dipstick is located in the front of the engine.

Drain plug is not an option because I'm not going to get under my car to do it. If I feel I just can't get enough out I'll just go ahead and change the filter.

Thanks for the suggestions.

PS: I also use a Pela 6000 and love it. Amazing tool to have around for the modest DIY'er.

Originally Posted By: badtlc
Does anyone know if I would be able to get more oil out with the extractor if the car is sitting on level ground or would I get more out if I parked it on a slight downslope so the oil would sit more towards the front of the oil pan?

It's relatively easy to find out. Start with the car leveled. Extract as much oil as you can. Then jack up the back of the car, and see if you're able to extract any more.

Just curious as to why you are not changing the oil filter. Even with a ST filter for like $3 you are better off getting all the insoluables out of the system. Is there a reason you don't want to get under the car? Have you considered maybe going to a JL is maybe a better option for your car if you don't want to really do a correct oil change. Since the car is a 2007 are you really saving anything by skimping on the filter?

Last edited:
Changing the filter every 5k is a waste. Is there a reason you'd change a filter way too early? It is really easy to do on the escape. It isn't a difficulty issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back