Its a mmo (almost) Pre-Christmas miracle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: c3po
Originally Posted By: gathermewool
So if your motor doesn't fail it must be working? I keep reading things like "it runs quieter," and how it performs, "extra cleaning." Are you guys able to quantify these statements? I know some have pulled their valve covers, but how is that an indication of cleaning? After a new-to-you vehicle's first couple of OCI was there still sludge that only MMO eventually got rid of?

I fell for MMO in the gas tank, and used it for 4-5 fill-ups. Gas mileage didn't change, and my fuel pump is still pretty noisy. It went away for fuel fill up number two and three, but came back - with MMO still being used, mind you - for tanks four and five. I guess I would have assumed it was MMO that quieted the pump if I had stopped using after fill up number 3, but the reality is that MMO didn't do anything except maybe lower my octane a little.

I guess I'm not saying I don't think MMO might be doing something, but for the majority of us it serves no purpose. Almost all of what people write is either butt dyno effects or purely peace-of-mind assumptions of what it's doing.

Did you ever let your gas tank go below a 1/4th of a tank.

Yep, but the gauge on the 97 LGT isn't very accurate - It's a 15.9 gallon tank, but most I've been able to pump in is 12.5 gallons. Other more daring LGT owners have driven well past the E indication until the low-fuel light finally came on - the light seemed to correspond to about 14 gallons.

I've pulled the sending unit and pump with less than half a tank and the pump was fully submerged. I think it's actually the pump bracket vibrating against the tank, but I can't prove it - it comes and goes, from near-non-existent to pretty [censored] loud. :/

As far as MMO: again, I'm not against it. I'm actually looking to try it on a friend's new-to-them motor that's making all sorts of lifter noise. I'm just trying to make an informed decision before I try things out. You say he ran two OCI, totalling 7000 miles, but what were his OCI like before that, and with what oil? Was compression down? Burning oil? These things would indicate improvement, not something seen through an oil fill hole. FWIW, I've had weeks straight in the winter where my Subie will sound like poop when first started. Regardless of whether it's colder or warmer, it'll subsequently randomly start and sound normally for another couple of weeks. MMDV : P

Last edited:

As far as MMO: again, I'm not against it. I'm actually looking to try it on a friend's new-to-them motor that's making all sorts of lifter noise. I'm just trying to make an informed decision before I try things out. You say he ran two OCI, totalling 7000 miles, but what were his OCI like before that, and with what oil? Was compression down? Burning oil? These things would indicate improvement, not something seen through an oil fill hole. FWIW, I've had weeks straight in the winter where my Subie will sound like poop when first started. Regardless of whether it's colder or warmer, it'll subsequently randomly start and sound normally for another couple of weeks. MMDV : P

He runs 5w30 dino oil, usually QS or Mobil Clean 5000, normal OCI's for him are 3500 miles. I'd say he takes good care of his vehicle, but most trips are short in nature, maybe an occasional run to Seattle once a month ~100 miles each way.

Originally Posted By: ADFD1

He runs 5w30 dino oil, usually QS or Mobil Clean 5000, normal OCI's for him are 3500 miles. I'd say he takes good care of his vehicle, but most trips are short in nature, maybe an occasional run to Seattle once a month ~100 miles each way.

That's really odd that he had sludge build up. When you say start up was considerably better can you describe that for me? The older subie noise is more attributable to the too-short skirts slapping about. Have you experimented with a synthetic 0W?

Start up I was referring to myself. I went to college upstate NY, SUNY Albany. I would visit Lake Placid and Lake George in January, February. Cold start in the morning was always a [censored] shoot, and the noises the little 3.0L Ford made were not pretty. My father told me to add a qt of MMO next time I changed the oil, something he always did and I took for granted having left home. Anyway the difference was/is night and day.

Now it seems I talk a lot about MMO because it has worked and I often find myself telling people things about MMO that my father either told or showed me. Nothing for me to gain talking about it. I don't sell it and no one is giving me samples to try in exchange for positive feedback or pitching the stuff to others here. Just real world stories. Bitog is about sharing knowledge and experiences. I've learned a lot from being here, and want to share with others what has worked and helped me.

To those who think MMO is snake oil all I can say is don't use it. People with an open mind try it and post back!

Real world experience like yours is what I'm looking for. For every one person like you, however, there seems to be four more who don't really have any tangible results, but claim great things. I don't mind those who haven't tried it and bad mouth it since I feel they counter those who praise it with out results ; )

Glad I could help. It gets pretty cold in CT, give it a shot this winter and see if the cold starts improve any.

I can see what you're saying, some people post positive things about different products they tried because they have to justify the purchase I guess. Me I call it like I see it. I just wish people wouldn't comment negatively about products they never tried.

I've turned more people onto MMO over the years than I can shake a stick at. Lots of success stories with it, most audible, and visual, along with a ton of butt dino data as well. One of the very few automotive oil additive products that really works as advertised, and you won't break the bank to buy it.

Happy B-day tpitcher! Enjoy the day!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: greenaccord02
MMO is the Old Spice of engines. It's old, it's cheap, your grandfather used it, it offends some people... BUT IT STILL WORKS!

Sounds like a good Ad Campaign for it!

MMO is the Old Spice of engines. It's old, it's cheap, your grandfather used it, it offends some people... BUT IT STILL WORKS!

Hhahahahaha!

This Quote is almost as priceless as your Tao Statement, I still laugh everytime I read it, I made a copy and put up on the wall in the garage.

It looks like I will be making a copy of your new statement and it will join the Tao.

Hi I'm new here so I'll enter like a lamb.

Used MMO about 30 years ago in a 75 Dodge Dart during a road trip to the USA. I know a lot more about engines etc. now than I did then. Though I didn't think that slant 6 and Holley carb. needed any cleaning, I used the stuff out of curiosity. It made made a noticeable diff. in pickup and power.

In closing I feel MMO is like Nasal Decongestant, some people without congestion might conclude the product is "snake oil", yet those suffering from congestion "know better".

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: cjcride
Hi I'm new here so I'll enter like a lamb.

Used MMO about 30 years ago in a 75 Dodge Dart during a road trip to the USA. I know a lot more about engines etc. now than I did then. Though I didn't think that slant 6 and Holley carb. needed any cleaning, I used the stuff out of curiosity. It made made a noticeable diff. in pickup and power.

In closing I feel MMO is like Nasal Decongestant, some people without congestion might conclude the product is "snake oil", yet those suffering from congestion "know better".

Wouldn't that be NOSE better.
25.gif

My GF's brother has an older Ford Ranger, 3.0L (I love those engines). Anyway he had an annoying lifter tick, so about 2 weeks ago he was changing his oil, and I stopped by the house as he was ready to add the oil. I managed to convince him to add a pint of MMO to his oil, I had about a qt in my PU so it was real easy. Last night when I saw my GF she said her brother thanked me for getting that annoying tick out of his Ranger. He had that tick for years, and lived with it. I made sure to tell her that he continues using a pint of MMO for the next few oil changes and clean that engine up! Good stuff!

Hey guys.

We bought my girlfriends ecotec powered sunfire used. From looking in the motor, it has not had regular oil changes. I have been feeding it 5w30 quaker state every 4k miles, and its cleaning up a little bit over the past year.

What would be the ratio to use for a motor that holds 5 quarts of oil?

Also can I run the MMO in there for 4k miles?

Do you guys notice any greater oil consumption when you add MMO to the oil?

5 qt sump you can use 1 qt MMO with 4 qts of oil. Yes you can run it for 4000 miles. Oil use in a healthy engine will be the same as with regular oil. I would keep an eye on the oil level, since you don't think a good maint' program was followed by the prior owner. Let us know how it goes.

Originally Posted By: JustinH
Hey guys.

We bought my girlfriends ecotec powered sunfire used. From looking in the motor, it has not had regular oil changes. I have been feeding it 5w30 quaker state every 4k miles, and its cleaning up a little bit over the past year.

What would be the ratio to use for a motor that holds 5 quarts of oil?

Also can I run the MMO in there for 4k miles?

Do you guys notice any greater oil consumption when you add MMO to the oil?

Marvel says you should replace between 10% and 25% of your motor oil with MMO. For your application, 1qt would be 20%. If your engine is really gunked up, I wouldn't let it go 4K miles. I'd do an initial short interval with 1qt of MMO (say 750-1000 miles) and then do normal intervals of 5k-7.5K afterwards with only 16oz of MMO. Once you've desludged to your satisfaction, I'd stop using it entirely and just use a quality synthetic oil like Pennzoil Pure Platinum to keep things clean going forward. Season to taste.

If your engine is burning oil now, MMO may or may not improve things...depending on whether the source of the burning is due to a mechanical problem or perhaps just gummed up rings. Keep an eye on the oil level and top off as needed. If your engine is not burning oil now, then I wouldn't expect the addition of MMO to the oil to cause any oil burning.

I have a 2002 BMW 330ci (E46) with 90k that developed an extremely loud lifter tick.
The tick could be heard after the engine warmed up and was loud enough that pedestrians on the sidewalk would turn and look at my car. When I would pull up to a mechanic shop, the techs would tell me right away that I had a bad lifter before even popping the hood. One of them even shook his head and told me that I basically was screwed. With that noise, I wouldn't be able to sell or trade the car.

Three different BMW mechanics told me that I would have to have the lifter replaced - a $2500 job that involved removing the cams.
And since I couldn't afford that, I tried to get free/cheap advice from different mechanics.

One mechanic tried an engine flush (do not know what he used) and Lucas Oil stabilizer. Another tried MMO. Another one tried MOS (I think that's what he called it). And still, tick tick tick tick....

I heard and dealt with this tick for 5 months, giving up on going to any more mechanics, and trying everything I could find on the Internet - Rislone, thinner oil, thicker oil, and am now trying Auto-Rx. I even bought a can of Wynn's Hydraulic Valve Lifter Concentrate on eBay from someone in the UK as a backup plan to Auto-Rx. My backup plan to that backup plan would've been LC-20 and then SeaFoam. Believe me, I was ready to give up and just live with it if none of those worked.

Well guess what - 1200 miles into the cleaning phase with Auto-Rx and what I thought was an irreparable lifter tick is GONE. When I drained the oil from the cleaning phase, it was extremely black. My mechanic who first likened using Auto-Rx to using aspirin to cure cancer admits that it seems to be working.

I had faith enough in all the products to give them a try. I think each additive has its merits and will 'do wonders' under the right circumstances. I know I sound like a commercial for Auto-Rx but it fixed my lifter tick when MMO, Rislone, and Lucas Oil did not.

Just my 2 cents.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back