Partial power steering fluid exchange at Wal Mart - McGiver style.

GON

$100 Site Donor 2024
Have a sticking power steering on a Mercedes. I am 1200 miles from home, and it is a Saturday afternoon.

I believe the problem is a Mercedes power steering proportional valve. Fairly simple to replace. $300 for the OEM part at Rock Auto. Amazon sells knock offs for $35.

As I am only local until Christmas day, decided to do a partial exchange of the power steering fluid. This method takes just a few minutes, all the tools and supplies at Wal Mart. Did the partial fluid exchange in the wal mart parking lot.

Key to this was the Prestone coolant tester. Did a flawless job of extracting the old fluid in the resivuir. It is a great alternative to a siphon and only $3.59.

PXL_20231223_221219818.jpg

Have a sticking power steering on a Mercedes. I am 1200 miles from home, and it is a Saturday afternoon.

I believe the problem is a Mercedes power steering proportional valve. Fairly simple to replace. $300 for the OEM part at Rock Auto. Amazon sells knock offs for $35.

As I am only local until Christmas day, decided to do a partial exchange of the power steering fluid. This method takes just a few minutes, all the tools and supplies at Wal Mart. Did the partial fluid exchange in the wal mart parking lot.

Key to this was the Prestone coolant tester. Did a flawless job of extracting the old fluid in the resivuir. It is a great alternative to a siphon and only $3.59.

View attachment 194547
I never thought of using the coolant testers as a fluid extractor, but not a bad idea!! Plus, you can figure out if your p/s fluid is going to freeze :D

Let us know how it goes. I probably would have put in some type of cleaner in the system.

Hence why I asked if they were out of stock. Besides, my wife doesn't make turkey for Christmas, everyone knows turkeys are for Thanksgiving. :ROFLMAO:

Turkey basters OOS at this time of year @GON ?
I have used turkey basters before. Forgot this time (stay young my friend). The coolant tester worked awesome, was easy to find, and about $2 less than a turkey basters.

@samven identified the huge risk... Using a turkey baster 36 hours before Christmas.

In the next episode will we learn if that worked? BTW, your avatar bears a resemblance to Ray Walston (very good actor).

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: GON
What kind of capacity does that coolant tester have? Only looks like a few ounces.

I used aquarium bubbler tubing from WM to siphon out the motor oil from my plow truck through the dipstick. Only took three days! It's long enough, and clear so you can see the fluid coming, so one could theoretically start the siphon mouth-to-mouth but I used a mity-vac.

Walmart? don't they have the little hand pumps that you can drop into a quart bottle, for pumping out? Link. Have used these to empty out the lawnmower, as opposed to tilting over.

1703384851505.jpg

Don't know if those click-clack gasoline pumps (for carb motors) would work on PS fluid, and then be reusable for gasoline afterwards. I picked one up one time, as I thought I had a bad fuel pump (didn't), has come in handy a time or two for transferring... well, gasoline, go figure.

I have been dumb enough (and naive enough), I guess, intending to draw small samples of brake/power steering fluid basically just to look at it, but I've walked into a local Walgreens at the prescription drop-off and politely asked if they would sell me syringes (without the needles of course). I was treated like a criminal on crack cocaine (not very nicely).
OK, fine, I drove down the highway about 15 minutes to a Farm & Fleet store, where they sell hard drugs (like 10 lb. pails of apple flavored aspirin) for horses. They have veterinary 150ml & 200ml syringes hanging on the wall and a teenager can purchase them. I now have several like these, and I've discovered that by using some small diameter flexible clear vinyl tubing and RTV (and letting it dry overnight), I have fabricated makeshift vacuum pumps that will pretty much suction either the master cylinder or the power steering pump almost dry.
Jack the front of the vehicle up so the front wheels are off the ground (no load on PS), suction out all the fluid I can from the reservoir with the engine OFF, turn the wheels lock to lock several times, repeat the suction, I can get MOST of the old fluid out without disconnecting anything. Similarly with the master cylinder prior to brake fluid replacement.
Tools do not HAVE to be used for their intended purposes. I'm no McGiver, but I ain't a bad redneck.

^^ for some reason most pharmacies just give away oral syringes for baby medicine etc. They keep 'em behind the counter and will usually hand you a couple if you just ask

I had no idea Grapes was known outside Canada (but always wondered about your avatar). Good to know he's appreciated stateside as well!
Him and his two goons almost ran me over coming off an AirCanada lounge elevator - everyone there had to clear …

If so, then Ray Walston bears a striking resemblance to Canadian North American icon Donald Stewart "Grapes" Cherry.

Wait…regular PS Fluid? Not CHF-11s? I’m disappointed…
It's the Prestone Euro formula.

Back