02 jeep 2.5/5k Bruceblend 0w-10 5100

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gary, I think you need to message OVERKILL and BuickGN and have them comment on this UOA.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Gary, I think you need to message OVERKILL and BuickGN and have them comment on this UOA.
wink.gif

Maybe if a PQ index is added in. Everyone has to concede that UOA is hardly perfect in determining wear. It's good for trending, which I think I've done enough off. The oil itself survives fine. Flashpoint, TBN, visc ..all doing fine.

Originally Posted By: buickmaster
i'd like to give this stuff a shot in my nissan. engine is a 2.0L DOHC with variable valve lift and timing, and revs out to 9 grand.

I dunno about your application. Bruce's original "Joe Gibbs" formula would probably be more your cup of tea. You'll find out if there's any free copper in the engine.

Vis @ 40 29.4
Vis @ 100 5.2
VI only 105

Moly 2146 ppm
Zinc 2085 ppm
Phos 1827 ppm
TBN 11.5

I do not have rolloerized cam followers either I have buckets upside down between the cam and the top of the valve stem! Not a low friction set up!LOL I am guessing that the stealth polymer is probably something that would be used in gear lube like what they used in German Castrol 0W30 stout stuff. Just a guess though. I am going to PM Bruce about the HTHS.

I'd love to try it in my Aerostar that I recently changed over to 5W20 from 5W30. So far so good! I think there's more to it than meets the eye with these thinner oils.

Gary, you are the man!
This is really interesting stuff, and is the kind of practical experimentation I love to see.
So a 10W works just fine in an old Rambler engine, albeit a very special 10W?
Most of us would have said heck no!

Yeah, I guess it is just a basic Rambler at heart.

This is a product of too many people speculating on the various aspects of thin oils. The same speculation was pondered over oil filter bypass valves. It annoyed the heck out of me. So, to eliminate most of the debate about 20 weight oils, I asked Bruce if there was such an animal available that was a (would be) 10 weight. He said that he could do it ..not that he'd recommend it ..but he could do it.

..it's sorta like being at an ice skating party and having everyone being afraid of thin ice. The best way to test it is to have the heaviest of the group just jump up and down with two feet.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I'd love to try it in my Aerostar that I recently changed over to 5W20 from 5W30. So far so good! I think there's more to it than meets the eye with these thinner oils.

It's hard to recommend this for anyone else. Just too many variables. My gut says that most people out there could use this without issue. Some surely could not. I was going to try this on a Vulcan 3.0 ..but that Taurus had to be junked. I don't think the engine would care what you put in it. I don't know if I'd do it with my youngest daughter's 3.8 in her 1993.

To be truthful, I never really considered stuff like cam wear. Everybody was so obsessed with bearings and seizing the darn thing under stress. That made it very easy to use it in this engine (besides the fact that I didn't have anything else to run it in). Having a bottom end going out on a jeep engine is unheard of unless you're flogging it with big meats and are just looking for an excuse to upgrade your trail rig to a V8.

In the end, it will be like seeing Big Foot on a routine basis for ONE PERSON. Sure, I'll probably have no issues and the engine will live a longer life than I will. Outside of that "zone" ..the multitude of vectors will assure that anything experienced in my plane of existence just doesn't apply to anyone else.
grin2.gif

I hear ya. Just thinking outloud. I changed to a 20 wt engine oil in that little 3.0 Vulcan, most recent OCI is a mix of 5W20 and 5W30, oddly the oil use went up slightly with the mix, vs. all 5W20. Oil use is generally about 1qt/3000 miles with 5W30. The change to 5W20 gave me about another 500 miles bringing it to a qt/35000 miles. Going back to 5W30 or the mix of 5W20 with 5W30 takes me back to 1qt/3000 miles. I'd love to see what the thinner stuff does, but it would have to be a high quality oil like you are using if there are going to be any benefits. I don't think an off the shelf (if it existed) OW10 oil would help me.

I see your point about cam wear the only way to tell would be a tear down before and after, and the average car buff is not going to do that.

Really hard to say unless larger wear particles are being generated and not picked up by the report.

Well, I finally got in touch with this in state lab. HTHS is normally $225 ..but since the machine has bee idle and there's no routine usage of it, they won't do it.
lol.gif
He had no idea what PQ index was. They do optical laser PC for $40 (stand alone). Their UOA is $55.

So much for that
21.gif
I'll try and get Polaris to speak up with continued prodding.

Not to be a flat earther, but let's see the oil work with SM energy conserving levels of EP. But if it won't it doesnt matter, it is viable as presented. I like the idea of a ~3 HTHS and low unstressed running viscosity. Being a noise nervous nanny, any qualitative noise assessments? More low torque due to lifter leak rates? Interesting and wonderful, Gary.

The engine is as quiet or noisy as it was on 5w-40. It's not even quiet with removal of the mechanical fan. There's no lifter noise ..nor was there ever any. You can tell it idling out side and the only thing that is more apparent then our jeeps is my neighbor's Cummins. The dogs can here the wife coming home from the end of the block.

As stated somewhere back there the engine normally feels stressed above 3000 rpm. With this oil, it does not. They use the same oil pump on this as they do for the 4.0 ..but hack off 2 cylinders. There is no sensible idle pressure. I think I can get down to around 38psi while peak appears to be around 60.

While this is a tractor like torque engine, in a 3500lb chassis with all kinds of drag losses it's hard to describe anything as "power". I'd call it "freer revving".

Dogs can hear vehicles coming a long ways away. Ive heard they can differentiate your vehicle from other vehicles of the same make/model/engine even.

Originally Posted By: Onmo'Eegusee
Dogs can hear vehicles coming a long ways away. Ive heard they can differentiate your vehicle from other vehicles of the same make/model/engine even.

I think they can tell time too.

Well heck I can do that as fair as discernment of my vehicle versus another identical one! In the Navy I think they have a name for it "Sound or my own ship" or something like that. Most people are just not attentive enough and have never trained their ear's to be discerning......Kind of like a piano tuner who happens to be blind. his sense of hearing is no better then the average person's he is paying closer attention to what his ears are always hearing. I would say a good 70% of the population go through life acting like their are deaf and dumb they just never tune in properly!I see it all the time in college.It is like they where asleep at the wheel from age 5-18!!! Obviously a dogs hearing is more sensitive then mine!

Well with out knowing the HTHS I think I will pass on the 0W10! Maybe I will just have to try Redline 5W20 inspite of Toyota it has a nice HTHS of 3.3.

While surely there's a "sound of your own ship" effect, I hear every car on the block. Most are "whoooosh" as they move off. More like a road/wind noise type thing. Most are silent when idling. You can't hear their exhaust. No engine pulses. No distinct rhythm
21.gif

Yes, dogs can more or less tell time. They anticipate normal routine events. When my wife comes home it's a celebration. There's a whole ritual with the feeding event. Dogs always love the one that feeds them.

It seems that HTHS testing is beyond reasonable cost. I think Bruce has software that projects it ..but I don't know for sure.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
Dogs always love the one that feeds them.

That's so not true with (my) cat. This animal paws at my face every [censored] morning at 5:00 am for food and still he would rather sleep on my son's bed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back