Locking lug nuts or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have a 09 Mazda 3 that came with locking lug nuts on it. The dealer put them on because they would have the wheels stolen off the cars on the lot since it is at the edge of town. However I'm more cocerned that sometime I'll need to get a wheel off and not be able to get the lug nut loose. I've never had them before and haven't had a problem so I'm thinking why ask for it. What is the opinion of those here?

The problem with them is that most hardware stores sell a tool that can remove them. The locknut keys have a habit of breaking or getting lost leaving you stuck on the side of the road or worst case scenario your local shop might have to ruin your wheels by burning the nut & stud out with the torches to get them off if the stripped nut tool can't get them off. We hate seeing them in the shop, we've had to make too many people cry.

There is an impact socket that fits over nuts like an inside-out easy-out that can remove locking lug nuts. If they aren't recessed into the web of the wheel, the security locks can be removed easily. Professional tire thieves probably have an assortment of lug nut keys anyway. Tire maintenance is a nightmare when you lose the key socket. If you live in a low crime area, why bother. (Keep your comprehensive insurance paid up though!)

I've never had any problem with mine in 13 years.

Yes a pro can get through any lock, but pros really aren't after wheels. If you need to stop a meth/crack addict at 3:00 AM, wheel locks greatly outweigh the negatives listed. If you are worried about loss of the key, just get a dupe now, keep it in a safe place at home and carry the original.

The best locks are the ones where there is a "socket" recessed in the end of the lugnut, not just a irregular rib pattern on the outside of the lug nut. These type are MUCH harder to remove. The ribs on the outside kind can be removed by driving a socket on them or using an "easy out".

Never use a power "wrench" on a locking lug nut.

How many of you have actually ever had a wheel stolen off your vehicle? Much less a whole set? Know (personaly) anyone who has?

While it does happen, theft of the entire vehicle is a LOT more common. Anyone NOT have insurance that'd cover wheel theft?

Bob

Originally Posted By: Pablo
I've never had any problem with mine in 13 years.

Yes a pro can get through any lock, but pros really aren't after wheels. If you need to stop a meth/crack addict at 3:00 AM, wheel locks greatly outweigh the negatives listed. If you are worried about loss of the key, just get a dupe now, keep it in a safe place at home and carry the original.

+1

You must judge for yourself and find a balance of how desirable your wheels are, where you're likely to park (ever), and how much of a nuisance it would be to loose the key or loose the wheels.

After 19 years, I decided that my 91 Marquis wheels just aren't that desireable and I switched the locking nuts to regular nuts. At this point the convenience of regular nuts and getting rid of any possible future problems outweighs the security of locking nuts.

Originally Posted By: alreadygone
How many of you have actually ever had a wheel stolen off your vehicle? Much less a whole set? Know (personaly) anyone who has?

While it does happen, theft of the entire vehicle is a LOT more common. Anyone NOT have insurance that'd cover wheel theft?

Bob

You sort of have a point, but my buddy did have his nice unlocked wheels stolen off his car in his driveway - right below his BR window.
33.gif
He must have got some that night.
banana2.gif

I did away with the ones on my 92 Grand Am and was relieved my 02 Cavalier didn't have them. I suspect even the kids manage to defeat most of the locks. Anybody have the wheels stolen with locks?

Quote:

Bob

Yep, a friend of mine walked out the door on his way to work one morning and found his Ranger sitting on blocks. Made me a believer. It's kind of like locking your doors...a good first line of defense, but not 100% effective against the truly determined.

As for losing the locks, I've never found that to be a problem. Honda (McGard) was even nice enough to include a zip tie with a connector that keeps the key attached to the lug wrench when not in use. For my 4Runner, McGard didn't include an attachment, but it's still no big deal to keep the key in the pouch with the other tire tools.

-Brent

Originally Posted By: Pablo

You sort of have a point, but my buddy did have his nice unlocked wheels stolen off his car in his driveway - right below his BR window.
33.gif
He must have got some that night.
banana2.gif

A friend of my Mom's had a transmission from a 15 year old SUV stolen from her driveway one night-- leaving the rest of the truck!

Originally Posted By: eljefino

A friend of my Mom's had a transmission from a 15 year old SUV stolen from her driveway one night-- leaving the rest of the truck!

Was that in our lovely state? I can't imagine that happening here.

some guys i know stole a entire diff housing off of a dodge 2500. it was on a dealer lot up on one of those lift things. not i actually wasn't involved in the matter, but found it hilarious.

Originally Posted By: alreadygone

Bob

3 of my friends that own Integra all have theirs stolen, I'm lucky to have steel wheels.

p.s. Even my mud guards got stolen in the parking lot.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Nayov

Was that in our lovely state? I can't imagine that happening here.

1970 Ford Bronco (?) in 1985 in the "nice part" of Framingham, MA, so, lucky, no. Did those things have hood locks? The brazenness of the crime left an impression on me. I would be dropping wrenches and making a ruckus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back