100,000 Mile Photo Post's???

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was just thinking that maybe we could have a post where anyone can post pictures of their engines inside especialy the head area in incremints of 100,000 miles. So 100,000, 200,000, 300,000 etc.... List the oil mostly used and how the vechile is used and maybe 1-2 snap shots of the valve train area!I still have 30,000 miles to go but I would be more then happy to do that. It would be interesting to see what the inside of various engines look like with different oil and OCI and usage etc.....

Wish I had photos of my Ranger. At 120k, mostly on M1 since about 20k, you could look in the oil fill neck and everything was spotlessly clean. You couldn't see any wear surfaces, but it certainly didn't look 14 years old with 120k on it. It lived a tough life and got beat on regularly.

When I did the timing belt on my '94 Probe at 70k, with all except 1k on M1, I had the valve cover off and not only was it spotlessly clean, I couldn't see any perceptible wear on the cam surfaces. What's ever more interesting is that the distributor was driven off of a gear on the front cam. This gear was black phosphated for corrosion resistance after it was cut in the manufacturing process. With the M1, this phosphate wasn't even worn through yet! Now if I had not have seen it with my own eyes, I'd never have believed it. I lost the car in my divorce of 2001 and last I knew, the stupid ex was still driving the car six months ago so I know I did something right. This was driven about 50/50 city (Houston) and highway.

My wife's Lancer will hit 100k in the next few years. At 77k, it's as clean as can be. Mostly M1 since new. Mix of city and highway. Current wife learned to drive in Panama as an Army brat and she drives like a race car driver. She expertly drives a stick and with that little Lancer, regularly embarrasses the local high-school automatic-ricer crowd. She then rolls down the window and insults their manhood. Does the same with the GT Mustang. Most people think chicks can't drive. Their mistake.

later,
b

Originally Posted By: HM12460
your wife got any sisters??

Yeeyep! Two of them. But they don't have her gusto...
LOL.gif
The youngest is crazy too...
crazy2.gif

I've whored this image up here a few times, but here's my Mustang engine, 330,000Km:

rockers.jpg

My Lincoln 302 was not quite as nice inside when it was opened up for the heads/cam/intake swap, as it was not run for the same duration with M1 as the Mustang engine was. It had some "wax" accumulated where the head meets the block, but no sludge anywhere. I can snap some pics of the E6 heads that came off it if somebody wants.

-Chris

Sure go for it!!! That engine looks great with 330,000KM on it! Like those Rockers and Nuts! My Camry is just under 70K miles and the inside when you look through the oil fill hole looks like it just left the assembly line. I used conventional oil in it the first 1500 miles but other then that nothing but synthetic. The baffle area even looks like new. It has a cadnium coated baffle so it is a shiny gold color.

96 Audi S6 2.2 TQ, 112500 miles on synthetic oil.
OCI 6250 miles or 6 months.
Oil M1 0W-40, Castrol SLX 0W-30, Shell Helix Ultra 0W-40, Fina First 5W-40, etc. All oils used has been VW 502.00 approved.

PB270094.jpg

96 Audi S6 2.2 TQ, 125000 miles on synthetic oil.
10000 miles since valve cover was cleaned.
OCI 6250 miles or 6 months.
Oil M1 0W-40, Castrol SLX 0W-30, Shell Helix Ultra 0W-40, Fina First 5W-40, etc. All oils used has been VW 502.00 approved.

DSC00091.jpg

DSC00093.jpg

DSC00092_2.jpg

DSC00094_2.jpg

DSC00095.jpg

DSC00096.jpg

Valve cover before cleaning at 112500 miles:
PB270093.jpg

OK, not as impressive......my '96 3.8L windstar at 163K miles.
Just as it looked when I lifted the lower intake manifold to do the lower manifold gaskets.
In 4K miles.....just a very sight amount of coolant showed up on Blackstone test.
VERY slight coolant usage.....need to top up overflow tank every couple of months.
I bought it at just under 38K in '99.
I ran Mobil 1 5W-30....switching to 5W-20 when FORD recommended it.....After the gasket change and verified sealed tight, I switched to Redline 5W-20
Now at 214K miles......doing fine.

Here is a link to the picture....

http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2068738120011220610nnxLsy?vhost=rides

92 Accord, 192K miles.
Gently driven but exposed to Aridzona's horrendous heat.

Mostly M1 for the last 60K: 10W-30 with a little 15W50 'fortification'.
One or two PenzPlat OC a while back.
Switched to straight M1 10W-30HM at the last OC, 2K miles ago.

M1 or PureOne filters.

Clean_Valves.jpg

Valve Cover, never cleaned AFAIK.
Valve_Cover.jpg

A little soft goop, with measurable thickness, in the corners.
Valve_Cover_Grunge.jpg

Last edited:
Looks good, for that many miles. Is it mostly AZ highway driving? How is it used? What are your OCI's?

Since someone woke this thread up. My VC was removed for the first time ever at around 163,000km to retrofit/update a seal in the variable valve timing.

This is a 4/98 BMW 528i with M52 engine. I've had it since around 50,000km in 2001. It ran 5k OCIs with Pennzoil 5W50 synth before I owned it (original owner was a good personal friend of my indy at the time). I ran M1 0W40 on ~7000km OCIs for the next couple of years after that (the focus being on changing twice a year - before and after winter, not so much the mileage on the OCI). The last 4 years or so I've been using GC at 8,000km OCIs (again, focus on pre/post winter season). It was ARXed in 2006 with XD3 15W40, but on the shorter schedule. I was adding LC20 for 2007. This summer I'm running XD3 15W40 again, partially because I knew I was going to lose a bunch of oil when doing this job, partially because the price of GC spiked around here, and partially because I know the car likes it and it's summer.

The intake cames on this engine have a plastic cover, but I forgot to shoot any good pictures after removing this cover. This cover contains oil spray so the area of the VC above this cover has some classic Castrol soft red fudge on it. This is strictly vapour deposition and condensation and the spooge wipes off.

With my use of quality oils I'm a little surprised that I have the bit of staining and hard varnish. Even brake cleaner had trouble making a dent in it in some test spots. I would have thought ARX, LC20 and M1 would have had it bare metal. It's not a problem - just saying...

I also noticed that there's more staining at the rear of the head than the front. I wasn't previously aware of any oil flow characteristic to explain this in this engine. I'm checking into that.

Gallery of all photos: click here. Best viewed full screen, pictures are 800 pixels on long side.

Overall shot:
IMG_2027-002.jpg

Cam shot:
IMG_2028-003.jpg

Some greater staining in areas of low flow:
IMG_2032-007.jpg

Sprockets:
IMG_2036_crop1-012.jpg

Cam cover spooge away from oil flow:
IMG_2042-018.jpg

Certain lighting angles show the cam wear:
IMG_2046_crop1-023.jpg

IMG_2046_crop2-024.jpg

'06 Tl only 77,000 but I think it will look the same at 100,000 seeing that there's absolutely 0 varnish or deposits. It's had Amsoil ACD since it's 3rd oil change and just went to Redline for the last change.

I replaced my VC a month or two ago but didn't take any pics. I don't recall any visible cam wear, but i will take some pics when i adjust valve clearance---mileage on the accord is now over 332,000 miles...... it was clean but had a lot of varnish...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back