100,000 Mile Photo Post's???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: buster
BimmerMan, what oil were you using? Thanks

I just got the car last month. The last owner did the oil changes himself and I think he used Mobil 1. I don't know what was used before that, but from looking at Carfax it was serviced at a BMW dealer.

Right know I'm using Valvoline Max-life 10w-40.

I forgot to say the pictures were of the 1992 325is.

Originally Posted By: BuickGN
'06 Tl only 77,000 but I think it will look the same at 100,000 seeing that there's absolutely 0 varnish or deposits. It's had Amsoil ACD since it's 3rd oil change and just went to Redline for the last change.

That looks like it just drove off the factory line. :)

More pictures!!

35.gif

I know mine looked dirty and varnished inside. It was varnished. It didn't have tappet noise before the change on Pennzoil YB 10W-40. But now that I switched to Valvoline Maxlife Blend 10W-40 it has louder valve tappet noise, towards Cylinder #1, or #2 I think. (Is maxlife thinner than its PYB dino counterpart?) Still runs great though, apart from that. I discovered the reason it was shifting hard was the TV cable was out of adjustment. Now its set right, shifts are quick and smooth.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not a car, and its not valvetrain, but its a Briggs & Stratton 675 Flathead. 1 Year, ~40 hours. It ran on original oil for that whole time. Because my parents thought it wasn't necessary to do a break-in oil change on it. So now it has a slight knock. Ugh. Oil was black as sin when I changed it this year. I put it in this thread because it LOOKS like a 100,000 mile engine at only 40 hours of use. *shakes head* By the way, that stuff on the piston does NOT come off. I scrubbed at with a wire brush, a drill with wire brush attatchment, and a flathead screwdriver. I think it is the piston, melted partially, or something.

DSC03482.jpg

DSC03454.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: BimmerMan
'06 Tl only 77,000 but I think it will look the same at 100,000 seeing that there's absolutely 0 varnish or deposits. It's had Amsoil ACD since it's 3rd oil change and just went to Redline for the last change.

Thanks! It sort of helps my argument of going synthetic right away or using the oil of your choice before the warranty is up even if it doesn't carry the correct approvals, or even possibly the benefits of a VII-free oil.

Originally Posted By: rudolphna
It's not a car, and its not valvetrain, but its a Briggs & Stratton 675 Flathead. 1 Year, ~40 hours. It ran on original oil for that whole time. Because my parents thought it wasn't necessary to do a break-in oil change on it. So now it has a slight knock. Ugh. Oil was black as sin when I changed it this year. I put it in this thread because it LOOKS like a 100,000 mile engine at only 40 hours of use. *shakes head* By the way, that stuff on the piston does NOT come off. I scrubbed at with a wire brush, a drill with wire brush attatchment, and a flathead screwdriver. I think it is the piston, melted partially, or something.

DSC03482.jpg

DSC03454.jpg

That engine will still outlast the deck. BTW, all those engines will have a slight knock even if pampered and on a steady diet of synthetic. Its just the way they are. Kohlers are the same.

Those deposits are not oil, but rather additives in the fuel and the inefficient combustion chamber.

Originally Posted By: BimmerMan

Yep that looks real good!

I peeked inside the oil filler cap on my fathers '00 VQ30, and it looked exactly the same. Just over 100k miles (165k kms) M1 10w30HM and GC its entire life almost, aside from the first couple dino OC's from the dealer.

140,000 mile 2001 Ford F150 (4.6 2V), most of if on M1/M1 EP 5W-30, 6K mile OCI usually.

10ops9k.jpg

Originally Posted By: Nayov
What is that black shield over the intake cam for?

It keeps oil that is slung off the cam from working its way out the oil cap. Common on most engines, it is just that some are built into the valve cover, serves the same purpose as the cam cover.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back