Luvin' the MMO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Demarpaint, yes I've noticed that.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
First time users of TCW3 or MMO should have a look at the inside of their tail pipe. After a few tankfuls you will notice a difference, the tail pipe will actually look cleaner. I've noticed it in all 3 of my vehicles.

StevieC, have you checked?

Are you saying it will self clean or do you mean to clean it first and see if it stays cleaner?

Stopped at walmart and bought two bottles of it... Put in my 5oz (14gal tank) and topped my tank with gas. I will see if I can notice anything different in the next few days/tanks.

It's great to hear that MMO can clean the soot.

I experianced the same thing when I started using Lucas UCL, I always had a little soot at the bottom of the exhaust pipe, the top portion of the pipe was bare metal, you know how water condensates at the bottom of the exhaust tip and then runs out, the soot was in that place and would follow down on the chromed tip, I noticed that on many cars. Don't confuse this with cars that are burning a little oil, as the soot on these cars covers the hole pipe and is oily to the touch, I'am not sure if the exhaust would clean itself in those cases.

After 2 or 3 tankfulls it self cleaned and and stayed clean, nothing but bare metal, grat that MMO can do the same.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
First time users of TCW3 or MMO should have a look at the inside of their tail pipe. After a few tankfuls you will notice a difference, the tail pipe will actually look cleaner. I've noticed it in all 3 of my vehicles.

StevieC, have you checked?

My tail pipe was spotless before using my previous additive.

Then when I used that additive it quickly developed a black carbon ring and then went away shortly there after.

Terry said this was just some cleaning of my engine/emission system going on.

Then I switched to MMO, and haven't noticed any changes. I think this is because my engine was already clean by this point.

I will try it in my '95 Neon beater that gets the 'el cheapo treatment on everything.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: tpitcher
You're doing TPA's!

(Tail Pipe Analysis)

Very important test, you calculate the color of the soot, measure the width of the soot ring, and based on that you can calculate remaining engine life in a vacuum.
cheers3.gif

Im on the fence about MMO!
I've been using it in all of my vehicles and yard equipment.
My vehicles are of the newer generation and technologies but I can't really say that they run smoother/quieter or that they get better MPG. They're smooth/quiet and get OK MPG anyway but I can't say that it's better. Certainly, MMO doesn't seem to hurt! I thought at one time that the engines were running a bit smoother/quieter but, when I stop using MMO for several tankfulls of fuel, I didn't notice any differences and sometimes better MPG without MMO.
One thing that I can say about MMO and my '80 Firebird FORMULA V8/4bbl, is that with 37,000 original miles, the engine is running better, smoother, with a bit more throttle responce and even a little quieter. Bit I changed a few things lately. They are 91 octane fuel w/MMO and MaxLife oil.

The statement about not noticing it in a newer car could be true. Hopefully a new car is running well enough that no change should be noticed. I don't own a new car so I can't really comment from experience. I notice a difference using it in older cars.

I think in a newer car the top oil benefit is a big plus, in reducing upper cyl wear, and keeping the valves clean. I also think it does give some added protection for the cylinders and rings during cold winter starts.

AD

I don't keep a mileage log, so I can't tell if any increase happened, I only check my mileage at every fillup to see how the car did, but that's all.

For injector noise, I did not pay special attention at the time when I started using Lucas, I will however keep this in mind when switching to MMO.

My main reason for using UCL type lubricant is that today fuels are loosing lubricity becuse of the ethanol. And with the corn industry lobbying for e15 and e20 blends it will only be worse.

I also think that in winter the fuels are even worse as they all have the ethanol (at least during summer ethanol may not be there), plus condensation in the tanks

Last edited:
Good point about the ethanol, I'm not sure it MMO does anything to remove moisture. That would be something worth looking into. Still I think there are a lot of benefits to using MMO.

AD

MMO will not remove moisture, no additive will. You can only help it blend with fuel so that it can be safeley burned.

That's why in Canada all gas stations were/are using ethanol for years in winter months as alcohol helps water blend with fuel.

This process, however, makes the fuel even drier and potentially more corosive as it has water blended in. Thast's why I think MMO or any othe UCL additive will help fuel pump and other components, that come in contact with fuel, perform better especially during winter.

Is there any physical evidence at all showing MMO cleans anything? Pics? Before and after compression readings? Anything?

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
MMO will not remove moisture, no additive will. You can only help it blend with fuel so that it can be safeley burned.

That's why in Canada all gas stations were/are using ethanol for years in winter months as alcohol helps water blend with fuel.

This process, however, makes the fuel even drier and potentially more corosive as it has water blended in. Thast's why I think MMO or any othe UCL additive will help fuel pump and other components, that come in contact with fuel, perform better especially during winter.

Good point, I don't think MMO contains anything to aid in the burning off of moisture in fuel. As far as I know it is a UCL and has some cleaning ability when added to gas. If moisture is an issue there are other additives for that.

I am on day 1 with MMO in my tank...

Initial observations:

Engine may have slightly reduced noise, but nothing too significant. My engine was fairly quiet to begin with so it is hard to tell. I will pay more attention in the next few days. It probably needs a few more miles to be fully effective, if not another tank or two.

MPG wise, as of now, is higher. My Displayed MPG AVG is showing 30.8mpg which has been rare of late with my xB since I had my new wheels put on. But I will not say it did this, or that it didn't. Drive was calm with little wind. Once the tank is used up I will give my final answer. But so far, so good.

But really, way too early to tell.

if the new wheels are of a different diameter-you are getting the same MPG as before--the speedometer/odometer is off, so you may be unintentionally speeding...............

If you ahve a GPS with spped rating check your speedo against the GPS reading

Steve

Originally Posted By: tpitcher
You're doing TPA's!

(Tail Pipe Analysis)

I have access to an Exhaust gas analyzer and was going to try a tank without MMO, and then add the MMO, run a few laps around the block to get it into the system and then put it back on the machine and see what effect it has on emissions. Should be very interesting!

Now I can't just freely do it so it may take a month or two before the very busy machine is available to do it with.

I mean the machine is for government tests of vehicles to get plate renewals so it has a treacherous schedule at times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back