Engine Restore/Synthetic comb?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: daves87rs
Originally Posted By: Jason2007
To clear up some posts on this engine. First off, the 2.2 OHV does not have a mass air meter or PCV valve. You can get a Spectre or Fram AirHog filter for alot less than a K&N and you will never have to replace it again. Second, the NGK Platinums are quite a bit cheaper than the OEM Delco Platinums that are made by NGK. My Gf's 02 Cav has NGK plats in them and there is no difference in performance versus the Delco's, except the NGK's were half as much.

Are you sure about the PCV? I could have swore...I might be off by the year. Getting old sucks.
wink.gif
As for the NGKs, I was was talking the regular ones, not the plats. I really don't see a need for plats, JMO. Guess I'm a little out of the loop with who makes what...
cool.gif

Pre-1998 '2.2' OHV engine DO have a PCV valve on the back of the valvecover. The '2200' OHV's from 1998-on DO NOT have a PCV valve - they have an oil/air separator on the valvecover that does not need servicing.

So why exactly would replacing the PCV valve result in better performance? I'm confused on that. Also, the only reason I can think of to get platinum is they last longer because the material is harder than on regular nickel alloy tipped plugs.

A bad or the wrong PVC valve can cause oil use, and other engine related issues. I learned that the hard way. I did a major tune up many years back on a Ford van I owned and PCV replacement was part of the Tune Up. Being cheap and lazy I use a Fram PCV valve and my van started using oil, and didn't idle as well. It never used a drop until then. After driving myself nuts checking for leaks, engine timing, vacuum leaks etc, the only thing I could think of was to change the PCV valve back to a Motorcraft PCV valve. Oil use stopped, idle went back to the way it always was. Since that day I will only use an OEM PCV valve!

This engine needs nothing but basic maint., 125,000 miles is childs play on that engine!,i've had two my 2200 i have now in my '00 sunfire has 186,000 miles gets 30mpg still uses NO oil and runs like new!!

pick a good quality oil/filter and run it to 300,000.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back