Why synthetic ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
No big deal. We all goof up once in a while.

This forum is more about foreign oils and their specs than about foreign vehicles themselves, although if you need an oil with foreign specs, then it's probably because you have a foreign car in the first place. :)

Toyota doesn't seem to be too fussy about oil specs in the US, regardless where the vehicle was made/designed.

Once again, 500k miles is quite impressive, IMO.

The STP additive that you mentioned - is it a fuel additive or an oil additive? Have you noticed the car runs poorly if you don't use the additive?

OIL Additive, I noticed less consumption. between changes.
The performance seems the same. I usually have to add oil after 3500 mi with out it. I sometimes drive 6000 miles or more in a
6 week period every 3 months. It helps and protects also.

So it's cheaper to pour in additive than to top off with the same mineral oil?

Has the engine always consumed oil? Maybe something needs repair?

If you had a 4 cylinder 514,350 miles orig engine would you think a quart of oil after 3500 miles driving at 75-80 mph is unusal? I bought 12 bottles of STP on a close out at about $1.00 a bottle, cheaper than oil.

I was always been tempted to try that, although it looks similar to their Stop Smoke product...seems to just thicken the oil. Could be wrong though.

Heated and mixed in the engine, blends and makes the properties slick, less consumption worked for me.

Originally Posted By: justchangeit
All the talk about synthetic, How to get mileage out of you vehicles (synthetic or not)is to check-it, change-it. I have 514,192 Mi on my 4 cylinder 1994 Camry on regular oil!
No major problems.
Why change now??

I would be courious to see what the valve train looks like.

That would be interesting, but the valve train has never been exposed. I'm a if it is not broke don't break it. (gasket)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back