Schaeffer 9000 5w-40 ior Supreme 7000 15w-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2006 F-250 crew cab 4 x 4 with the 6.0 engine. I currently have 63,000 miles on my truck and use the Schaeffer Supreme 7000 15w-40. I see alot of people use the Schaeffer 9000 5w-40. Why, when the truck calls for 15w-40. I am just trying to find out if it would benefit me to change oil weights.

Synthetic base oils pump more easily at low temperatures, so at operating temperature the oil is just as thick but when it is cold the truck is easier to turn over and gets oil pressure sooner.

Schaeffer advertises a slight boost in fuel economy with their 5W-40 vs the 15W-40. I'm thinking this would be true if the truck was used around town with frequent cold starts, because the 15W-40 is somewhat more viscous when cold. From where you are located, you would certainly benefit some from the 5W-40's easier cranking when cold in the winter, although the 15W-40 is still good in this regard.

The 6.0 (& 7.3) PowerStroke really benefits from a syn in sub-30 F weather-not only does your crank speed increase drastically, the cold "chuggle" & blue/white smoke cloud decreases substantially, I'm even able to limp away @ low RPMs & drive mine after a minute or so (no power available, though).

Ford is selling a 5w-40 diesel synthetic and has "backed-spec'd" 5w-40 for all current and previous Ford diesels.

I use Delvac 1 or Mobil 1 for Turbo Diesel Trucks in my '05 Powerstroke year round. Some guys run 15w-40 all year up here in Cody, Wyoming. That's idiotic.

I have had my truck parked outside and cold-soaked down to -20 over 8+ hours. Next to mine, another 6.0 was left for the same amount of time. Both trucks were started at the same time.

Mine started immediately and normally. I drove away slowly after 15 seconds. The other truck put on quite a show, bucking smoking, etc. I've had many other 6.0 owners ask me why my truck starts so much better in cold weather.

So I guess use the 5w-40 in the winter, but how does it hold up in the summer or do most of you run the 15w-40 in the summer.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ozzmann
So I guess use the 5w-40 in the winter, but how does it hold up in the summer or do most of you run the 15w-40 in the summer.

I use 5w-40 all year.

Salesrep: What's the current price of 5w-40 9000 in one gallon and five gallon containers?

Depends where you live and how much you order. Bitog does not allow price posting. Pm or email.
Thanks.

Originally Posted By: ozzmann
Why did you switch?

ozzman,

There had been many discussions about piston failures in the Duramax engines at the Diesel Place and other Dmax websites. One of the common symptoms was reduced oil pressure under load due to heat. Several owners noticed that right before their piston failures while under load, the oil pressure had dropped to 20-25 psi. Unfortunately, the piston squirters in the Dmax flow when the oil pressure is 29 psi so they felt that the pistons suffered heat damage due to the lack of oil cooling on the bottom of the piston.

Although synthetic oils flow better when cold, they also don't "cling" as well as group III dino oils due to their molecular structure. I am hoping to avoid the heat stress to my pistons by using a high quality group III oil like Schaeffer #151.

I can tell you one effect I notice right away. My idle oil pressure with Supreme 9000 was around 25 psi. Supreme 7000 maybe 1-2 psi higher but Scheaffer's #151 is showing an idle oil pressure of 30 psi which means my piston squirters are still flowing at idle.
thumbsup2.gif

Thanks for asking...

Rob

Thanks,very Helpful. I think I will talk to my Schaeffer's oil rep in St.Louis and try the Moly Bond X200. I am very fortunate to live close to St.Louis where the Schaeffer factory is.

Thanks Again

Wow, 30 psi at idle! My Cummins ISX is only at 15-17 psi at idle just like factory specs say so. What a difference between the smaller engines and a 15L.

Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
Wow, 30 psi at idle! My Cummins ISX is only at 15-17 psi at idle just like factory specs say so. What a difference between the smaller engines and a 15L.

TT,

I wonder what volume you're flowing at 15-17 psi?

Rob

Last edited:
Isn't your pressure reading just a measurement of restriction? 30psi with an oil that doesn't flow lightening quick should be similar to 25psi with an oil that does flow quicker... make sense or am I way off???

Originally Posted By: trik396
Isn't your pressure reading just a measurement of restriction? 30psi with an oil that doesn't flow lightening quick should be similar to 25psi with an oil that does flow quicker... make sense or am I way off???

The first generation of Dmaxes (LB7) had higher oil pressure. Starting with the LLY in 2004.5, GM went to a "higher flow /lower pressure" oiling system but they didn't change the piston cooling mechanism. Oil squirters are a restricted flow similar to a finger over a garden hose. They are either on or off depending if the pressure is above or below 29 psi. Unfortunately, anything less than 29 psi = no piston cooling...

Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back