A few questions about Amsoil P. I.

Status
Not open for further replies.
1) Do I put it into a full tank right after filling? Or put it in the tank before filling? Or does it matter when I put it in the tank?

2) Will it skew the results of an upcoming UOA I'm planning?

3) Any problems of sensors going off because of this stuff?

TIA~

1) I put it in near the end of a tank, and drive with it concentrated for awhile. Then fill up.

2) Maybe, but just account for it. It's more important that you don't have it in your new oil, IMHO. Will the small amount harm anything? I doubt it. I just err on the side of caution. Amsoil doesn't seem to mention it either way.

3) No sensor issues that I know of.

OK, thanks Pablo. I never would have thought about running it concentrated for a while, figured that was a no-no.

What do you mean that it's important not to have it in my new oil? This shouldn't be used right after changing my oil?

Originally Posted By: hate2work

OK, thanks Pablo. I never would have thought about running it concentrated for a while, figured that was a no-no.

What do you mean that it's important not to have it in my new oil? This shouldn't be used right after changing my oil?

It had some pretty strong amines. I generally advise against using it right after an oil change, but there are other variables such as how long our OCI's are, how much blow by you have, etc...

Well, this is a used truck I picked up a couple months ago. I put in ASL 2300 miles ago, and was planning on pulling a sample at 3000 miles for the initial UOA, and then run it another 3000 miles before dumping it.

Since it's running well, maybe I'll hold off trying the PI until I'm almost ready to dump it, and right after I pull the second UOA on this fill.

Thanks for the info, Pablo. I KNEW there was a reason I went through you for the Amsoil
grin2.gif

Cleaners are usually best run shortly (a couple of tanks) before changing your oil. Contamination or higher-than-normal wear can result from some of these (ie. Techron seems to cause high lead readings).

Cleaners should be added at the pump right before filling up to maximize proper mixing. While it may be true that some people have enough crud in the system to need to run extra-concentrated, I wouldn't hop on a forum and state it as general recommendation. There's more of a downside than upside in running overly concentrated IMO and if your engine is well kept the regular concentration of quality products should suffice.

Last edited:
I'll lean the other way. While I surely don't want to dose anything too drastically, I don't bother timing it at the end of the OCI unless I'm testing (but I'm always testing ..so
21.gif
)

I would offer, Craig, that running a leaky or clogged injector can be more detrimental than correcting it with a mid-OCI cleaning.

What Pablo described is how I usually run fuel system cleaners in my vehicles. I wait for the tank to get low and dump the dose in, and ride around with it like that for a couple of days before filling up. I've never used the Amsoil product, but I doubt that it can be drastically different from the other cleaners on the market to not be able to run it concentrated.

According to the Lubrizol rep, who worked with AMSOIL to develop the formulation for the PI, it is the most aggressive cleaner available on the market (well, as of the time it came out, anyhow).
The recommendation is to use it with a full tank of gas. Obviously, it will mix better if you pour it in before filling the tank. However, if you pour it in a full tank, it will mix with motion.

You really won't gain any advantage by using it stronger than recommended, or more often than recommeded.

**** and I attended the same sales seminar (but didn't know it) where they cautioned against using it too often. The words were (something like) "don't use this on back to back tanks"...but it's probably a combo of serious caution and "you know someone is going to over do it and we'll get some complaints" type thing.

I've run two bottles of regane on 1/8 tank till I got to 1/16 and then filled it up. No-ill effects, but also no noticeable gains. So your safe running it concentrated, but you probably wont benefit from it. I would just dump it in right before you fill up, and run it as often as instructed. Don't waste your money!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back