winter gas ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
what is that ? is it a myth ?
i do know both our cars suddenly dropped 10+% MPG last 2 fillups
Is there anything to combat this "winter gas"

well 1 car is in the clean phase of ARX
and the other is 2k into new oil+filter GC/Pure1 (normal oci for my ej20 (saab92x) = 3500-4000)

Not much you can do to combat winter gas. Another issue is while the engine is reaching operating temps its running rich. The colder it is, the longer it will run rich, and mpg's suffer. It goes with the season.

Frank D

Winter gas is made to evaporate faster and cause better starts during cold weather.

One point often overlooked when temperatures drop is that for every 10 deg drop in temperature, tires loose 1 psig.

Keeping tires pumped up helps.

Noticed this today, I think they've switched in CA. This AM I only got 14mpg via the scangauge and I normally get 16-17. Going to make sure my tires are aired up.

Originally Posted By: goixiz
what is that ? is it a myth ?
i do know both our cars suddenly dropped 10+% MPG last 2 fillups
Is there anything to combat this "winter gas"

well 1 car is in the clean phase of ARX
and the other is 2k into new oil+filter GC/Pure1 (normal oci for my ej20 (saab92x) = 3500-4000)

There is definitely a winter gas formula up north here, and it burns faster and starts lower as the temp dips.

Generally, you also tend to loose approx. 30% fuel economy during winter time due to frequent idling, and time it takes to warm up the engine to normal operating temp...

And your point is?

Q.
06.gif

(**combat winter gas? what are you talking about??**)

'Tis that time of year when winter gas rolls around and people note decreased fuel economy because of winter gas.

ScanGauge will help combat that. You'd still have to pull out a lot of stops to make up the difference.

I run a little Redline SI-1 fuel treatment(1-3 oz per tank) To just keep things a little cleaner.

When spring hits, I will add a half bottle of Redline.

Then I wont start up the small doses untill the next winter.

There are several different types of gas that are sold here in Va.. these are all because of the EPA regulations..

We have depending on where you live (using simple terms):

"City Gas" - Reformulated (RFG) - Required for use in higher populated areas such as Northern VA, and from Richmond to VA Beach.

"Country Gas" - Not reformulated for the rest of the state..

Then you have different sub types of "city/country gas" based on the time of year..

Summer - Oxygenated for cleaner burning during hot weather

Winter - Not oxygenated - Side Note (The terminal must purge all 'winter' gas by around Apr/May/Jun of each year, so sometimes they will sell 91 octane as 87 octane to make sure the tanks get empty.)

One of the reasons gas is so expensive in places like Chicago the EPA requires around 12 different versions of the RFG gas.. This drives up the cost of transportation and logistics..

Brian

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back