ell it or keep it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay. The stupid POS Yaris has returned from the shop. The droning sound was cured, but the check engine light, now intermittently on and off between a few hundred miles, remains un-resolved. The mechanic was clueless as to what was causing the issue. He said he'd "email Toyota", and judging by the level of service I've received from them, means I'll be getting it up my *bleep* again.

Keep in mind, I still here a very faint wobbling sound (no shaking in the steering, rough-riding) in the passenger-front wheel on deceleration. And yes, this has occured with both my stock A/S tires, and my new set of winter's (which have been meticulously re-balanced, just in case).

I've had it with this car. It has barely over 7k miles (2007, bought in March of '08) and been nothing but a heap of manure.

I told my salesman I was unsatisfied. He told me he can go to bat, and *maybe* get me back my original $15,950 that I paid (of course, being out the taxes, registration, etc.), and only if it were to be applied to a new Toyots from their dealer.

Worse case is they buy it back from me at current wholesale - not even 14K - which is [censored], considering the mileage. I have a pretty fresh lien on it, making it essentially impossible to sell it via private-party (unless they take over my payments, then I'm out $3600).

I still have my Sunfire I purchased a while back, an '02. It sat around for a while in hopes of making it a "project car", which of course with life, and lack of a garage, never materialized. It's now essentially back to all-stock form (save an aftermarket steering wheel and suspension setup), and only needs a new PS unit (died from sitting around unused for about six months).

The major factor is insurance. The Sunfire, with a still-present lien (not much left to pay, but still owing), is astronomical to insure. The Yaris is cheaper, even though it's valued at about five times more on the auction market. I'm heavily tempted to ditch the Yaris and go back to the Sunfire, but I'm still teased by the idea of a new '09 Toyota, even though I swore I'd never purchase another one again.

C&Q welcome here folks!

I guess I'm not familiar with "Lemon Laws" up in Canada. If they offer to swap it out for a 2009, I would take that.

It's not a swap, I'm ending up out the original deal I got on the car, plus the payments I've made. It'd have to be purchased at stickered price only (i.e. no "negotiating", only published 'yota rebates). Not to mention the interest I've already paid on the Yaris loan.

About the only thing appealing to keeping the Yaris is the warranty. Reparing the Sunfire out-of-pocket can throw the budget out of balance real quick.

In any case, one of these cars will be sold. I know I'm taking a loss on either one, but at least with the Sunfire, I'd only be out a bi-weekly paycheck.

We have no specific "lemon laws" up here, I already contacted a lawyer in regards to litigation, and he said being out the $4k or so would be cheaper than chasing the dealer/Toyota through the courts. Doh.
frown.gif

I'm really suprised to hear a Sunfire is expensive to insure...they are a bare-bones, low performance, econo car with no real 'racing' potential in stock form. How the heck could a new car be less than that?

Maybe look at another insurance company? Just a thought.....

Insurance is absurd up here. To re-insure the Sunfire is about $236 per month, my Yaris costs exactly $208.36 per month. Both have liens, so both require PDLP, collision, and comprehensive. This is the cheapest I've found, and buying out my policy would just make it more expensive.

Worse is, my Sunfire is absolute bare-bones. Five-speed, no A/C, power-nothing (and four doors!) My Yaris is essentially "loaded"...
shocked2.gif

Jeeze....whoa. I'm 33, and I pay about $105/month for BOTH my wife and I on our 4-door Cavalier with auto, air, power locks...and that's full coverage!

Originally Posted By: addyguy
I'm really suprised to hear a Sunfire is expensive to insure...they are a bare-bones, low performance, econo car with no real 'racing' potential in stock form. How the heck could a new car be less than that?

Sunfires are more likely than most cars to be in an at-fault accident. It might have something to do with the abundance of 16 to 18 year-old girls in control of them!

Sell it and buy a Focus? Ford's pretty desperate right now, why not see what a dealer can do for you in terms of a financing swap of sorts?

Originally Posted By: firemachine69
Insurance is absurd up here. To re-insure the Sunfire is about $236 per month, my Yaris costs exactly $208.36 per month. Both have liens, so both require PDLP, collision, and comprehensive. This is the cheapest I've found, and buying out my policy would just make it more expensive.

Worse is, my Sunfire is absolute bare-bones. Five-speed, no A/C, power-nothing (and four doors!) My Yaris is essentially "loaded"...
shocked2.gif

OUCH!!! My VW and my wife's Mercedes combined only equal $115/month for comprehensive coverage. You guys in Canada are getting skee-rewed!

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Sell it and buy a Focus? Ford's pretty desperate right now, why not see what a dealer can do for you in terms of a financing swap of sorts?

In-town gas mileage on the Focus is pretty brutal. Honestly, if the Mazda 2 were here already, this wouldn't have come up for discussion!

And as noted above, age is part of my "problem" (even though I've put thousands and thousands of safe miles as a professional motor coach driver).

Make noise, and keep making noise until your car is fixed. When you're at the dealer, complain to the people in the waiting room.

Maybe contact your local news outlet. The ones around me love stories about people battling a seemingly profit-minded business. It's drama and people in high places looking dodgy, a nice little slow-news-night story.

Also, isn't there an emissions warranty in effect for the CEL?

Did number one. Seemed to prioritize my car a bit quicker.

I personally know both editors of the two local news outlets; keeping in mind, this is a last resort "you've screwed me, so I'll screw you" type of 'solution'.

Yes, the CEL is for excess emissions. I'm considering contacting the governmental wing of emissions, effectively lighting a match under someone's arse.

Sorry you are having to endure such hardship. Perhaps when all is said and done, Toyota will make this right. However, I'm sure that sour taste will linger for some time.

Sorry to hear about the Yaris. You probably got a bad one...

Another option is the Nissan Versa 1.6. it is now advertised as the least expensive vehicle sold in the U.S.

It has pretty abysmal gas mileage, considering it's size... And Nissan's QC isn't on the rise either.

Realistically, best-case scenario is I get another new Yaris, or even more likely, a used one with roughly the same mileage. Even with all the help from the media in the world, I doubt I'll come out breaking even.

Yaris is what, 29 city, 36 highway EPA rated?

Focus is 24/35.

Focus is 140HP/136lb-ft
Yaris is 106HP/103lb-ft

Focus is ~2600lbs
Yaris is ~2300lbs

5MPG difference in town, basically the same on the highway, and it's 300lbs heavier, has almost 40 more HP and 33lb-ft more torque? Doesn't sound that bad to me........

I rented a yaris for about two weeks in orlando this past summer.

I'm 6'5'' and loved the sedan. The thing got 40mpg with the ac blowing.

Felt tighter, no noises, no squeeks. Very well put together car for what they cost.

I would buy one, plenty of headroom.

My girlfriend has a 03 sunfire, it is a little bit more to insure, but that is because it is a 2 door car according to the agent. She pays 50 dollars per month for full coverage, her neon was 42 or something.

Stick with the toyota..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back